Vegan ,Vegetarian Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
So many recall's on meat and dairy too at times I researched for a butter substitute that I could bake with and not have the wet olive oil or soybean taste. It is said the stick margarine's or butters are best for cooking than the tubs .
So far this is what I found and the price is right too.
Also there may be even be a vegetarian here sometimes so this thread can be for them.

upload_2018-9-24_16-53-50.png

We tried vegetarian for six weeks.
I also took the Magazine "Vegetarian times" it had everything you will need.

We tried vegetarian for six weeks.
I also took the Magazine "Vegetarian times" it had everything you will need.

Joel I'm not really a vegetarian its just I don't like what they have to offer at the stores now. But if times get bad and shtf we may all be more on the vegetarian type diet not by choice but by neccesity.

A lot of vegetarian prepared stuff is junk. Our two youngest are vegetarians. What are the ingredients in that fake butter? I picked up a number of vegetarian cookbooks from our library used book sale and use those a lot. Husband likes to eat vegetarian sometimes, but if it's heavy on the carbs then it blows his blood sugar. I use coconut oil a lot, won't use vegetable oil anymore because it's mostly soy. I won't eat soy deliberately, because I believe it can mess with your hormones. Funny, our girls don't mind the preservatives, soy, carbs, sugar as long as there's no meat. Crazy.
One vegetarian recipe I like is a shepherds pie recipe with chopped Portobello mushrooms and diced carrots instead of the beef. Another is cabbage rolls...make them like normal but instead of meat, use rice, mushrooms, cheese and Italian seasoning to stuff them with. We'll probably be having those tomorrow night.

That is true but so is it true that a lot of meat is also junk and who knows for sure what it is unless you raise it . I had my last steak for awhile maybe forever. I gave it to our dogs. They had to fight hubby over it.:D But he still has 3 more in the freezer.:cool:

Although I eat tons of veggies, I am not vegan or vegetarian. But I loved the stack of Vegetarian Times magazine that I found in a thrift store. Took most of them home and cut out a gazillion recipes. Every one was a winner.

I made a huge chicken pot pie and we ate on it for 2 days. It had canned chicken in it I bought on sale. Enough to give it a little chicken taste without a lot of meat. Plus I put a can of chicken noodle soup in it ,celery, carrots,potatoes onions.,spices. Made top and bottom crust with real butter.

But I don't like the inhumane way big biz treats the animals and the filthy conditions they keep them in. And can't afford to buy from places with better raising and feeding practices.
So it is not because I'm anti meat at all. No way can we take on the job or expense of more animals either other than our 6 chickens which we only really need 3 of those.

Beans are a good replacement. Like Meer, it creeps me out to know the nasty conditions for cows, chickens and pigs. So sad. I usually get sick if I eat red meat.
I don't eat much cheese and no other dairy. Just no. I can't eat eggs anymore either, like fried, scrambled, etc. And cut back on flour and sugar products. You probably think I'm wasting away.
I'm not vegan or vegetarian cuz I still eat seafood and poultry.
I'll post some recipes and suggestions eventually. Keep it simple.

Beans are a good replacement. Like Meer, it creeps me out to know the nasty conditions for cows, chickens and pigs. So sad. I usually get sick if I eat red meat.
I don't eat much cheese and no other dairy. Just no. I can't eat eggs anymore either, like fried, scrambled, etc. And cut back on flour and sugar products. You probably think I'm wasting away.
I'm not vegan or vegetarian cuz I still eat seafood and poultry.
I'll post some recipes and suggestions eventually. Keep it simple.

That would be nice Patch. Right now we'r cooking a veggy pizza but it does have cheese on it.Just now much cheese.

I get frustrated with recipes because then it is no longer simple meal preparation.
Even no meat cookbooks use cheese and eggs in one dish meals (the dreaded word: casserole). Some cheese is okay, but not every day and not much. It's too fattening.
Herbs that are high in calcium are an excellent replacement for dairy in my experience. I drink a lot of herb teas.

Buckwheat noodles (soba) are a good replacement for wheat noodles. They're too expensive so I'm hoping to make my own, plus they're gluten free. That's not an issue for me, but pasta is fattening, in my opinion.
I prefer olive oil to butter.
I'm usually cooking for a small army which eats light and we like leftovers, keep that in mind and adjust your quantities.
Recipes up next.

Chickpea salad
2 cans of chickpeas
1 cucumber, quartered
10-20 grape tomatoes, quartered
Peppers if you like
1 can black olives, sliced
1 chopped, peeled avocado
Feta cheese if you like
Fresh Cilantro, chopped, you decide
1 lime, juiced
Put lime juice, cilantro, maybe 3 TBLSP olive oil, same of vinegar, in a jar, mix well. Pour over mixed salad. Chill it. (but i never measure it, sorry. I prefer balsamic vinegar but apple cider vinegar is fine).

Last edited:
For black beans dish which is a nice addition to Mexican food, basically same recipe only exchange black beans for the chickpeas and add a pressed garlic clove, 1/8 tsp. of cumin, spring onions chopped, 1/8 tsp. pepper.

We like big mushroom caps baked. Put seasoned rice, we use salsa, mixed with sauteed mushrooms and zucchini into caps. You can cheese the tops, cover, bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Red beans & rice are a good dish.
It is not hard to leave meat,fat & bone out of your dish.
But I will eat some meat just because I like the taste.
I do not see raising animals as a problem after the SHTF.
I plan to put in a fish pond also.

Chickpea salad
2 cans of chickpeas
1 cucumber, quartered
10-20 grape tomatoes, quartered
Peppers if you like
1 can black olives, sliced
1 chopped, peeled avocado
Feta cheese if you like
Fresh Cilantro, chopped, you decide
1 lime, juiced
Put lime juice, cilantro, maybe 3 TBLSP olive oil, same of vinegar, in a jar, mix well. Pour over mixed salad. Chill it. (but i never measure it, sorry. I prefer balsamic vinegar but apple cider vinegar is fine).

I made chickpea (hold the chicken) salad. Has can of chickpeas, mayo, celery, craisins, pecan bits. Chickpeas get mashed up a bit. Tastes pretty much like chicken salad!

I am not a vegan or vegetarian. I tried out vegetarianism when I was in college, but I just craved beef all the time, so I gave that up. In the last few years, meat doesn't have the same appeal to me that it used to, and I wonder if it isn't all the hormones they give to the animals?

Do you know the Meatless Monday trend in America? Certainly not everyone follows that, but it is a way for Americans to realize they can have meals without meat.

Most of the salads that I make are meatless. I make a full recipe and don't have to cook and clean the kitchen for a few days.

Have you ever made your own veggie burgers? I think if we were to ever have to live from our food storage, it would be a way to get some variety from beans. I have seen recipes of veggie burgers made with black beans.

Falafel is one of my favorite foods made from beans. Falafel are usually made from garbanzo beans in America, but they can be made from other beans as well.

Falafel Recipe: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-favorite-falafel-231755 Yield: About 20 balls

INGREDIENTS
    • 1 cup dried chickpeas
    • 1/2 large onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1/2-1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper
    • 4 cloves of garlic
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 4-6 tablespoons flour
    • Soybean or vegetable oil for frying
    • Chopped tomato for garnish
    • Diced onion for garnish
    • Diced green bell pepper for garnish
    • Tahina sauce
    • Pita bread

PREPARATION
    1. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, then drain. Or use canned chickpeas, drained.
    2. Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas and the onions in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro, salt, hot pepper, garlic, and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.
    3. Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 tablespoons of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough bulgur or flour so that the dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered, for several hours.
    4. Form the chickpea mixture into balls about the size of walnuts, or use a falafel scoop, available in Middle-Eastern markets.
    5. Heat 3 inches of oil to 375ºF in a deep pot or wok and fry 1 ball to test. If it falls apart, add a little flour. Then fry about 6 balls at once for a few minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Stuff half a pita with falafel balls, chopped tomatoes, onion, green pepper, and pickled turnips. Drizzle with tahina thinned with water.
    6. NOTE: Egyptians omit the cilantro and substitute fava beans for the chickpeas.
  1. Joan Nathan Shares Her Tips With Epicurious
    1. Tahina (also called tahini) is an oily paste made from ground sesame seeds. It is available in Middle Eastern markets and on Amazon.
      To garnish your falafel in true Israeli style, try adding one or several of the following condiments: harissa hot sauce, pickled turnip, mango amba(pickle), or sauerkraut.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love falafel! but have made it from scratch only once.
Black bean burgers, I have recipe but not made them. Lentils do not like me either. I used to eat them fine, no problem.
There's a good recipe for brown rice, beans (your choice), eggs and cheese. It is so good. Key seasoning is thyme. It is a pie. I don't have the recipe at the moment. My foot hurts!

About mayo: I don't know but it just kind of grosses me out. I had quit using it then every time I have used it gives me the willies.

About mayo: I don't know but it just kind of grosses me out. I had quit using it then every time I have used it gives me the willies.
My daughter never liked it. She wouldn't eat anything with it in it. Since she has celiac, she didn't eat sandwiches, so no chance of her having it there either, even now when she uses gluten free bread.

I just got some tahini. Haven't tried it yet. I have some recipes for burgers using black beans that I will try sometime next week, I hope.
Please let us know your recipe and results. Different proteins than animal are cheaper, or should be.

Latest posts

Back