Vehicle decision.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverickhawk

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
First off let's get this out of the way. I know, I'm stupid, that will never work, I don't know what I'm doing, it won't happen that way, I'm doomed.
Now that we have established that I would like some options on which one of these vehicles would be best to prepare to get to a MAG destination. We won't be traveling more than 75 miles. We are stagging some supplies at destination. But we will carry some immediate and long term supplies with us. Everyday I go through different scenarios in my mind on how can we get out of here. There's always a scenario where we can't make it, but more opportunities where we can this is not a big town. I'm confident we can plow our way out. On to our options.
First option. 2000 Toyota 4 runner, not pretty but mechanically sound.
Advantages- 4wd, fair amount of cargo space, doesn't attract attention, dependable
Disadvantages- not great gas mileage ( shouldn't need it ), help me reconize other potential problems
Second option. 1996 Chevy 2500 pu. Not pretty, but mechanically sound.
Advantages- 3/4 ton, I would outfit it with old tool boxes to supplies. Then make it look like a landscape truck to avoid attention. 30 gallon fuel tank.
Disadvantages- single cab, I would feel better having many items within reach.
Would like some thoughts.

Terrain? If navigating tight difficult terrain, probably the Yote hands down.

Mechanically sound is what I would consider to the most important factor, and it sounds like both are. From my outside perspective I imagine the Toyota might be more reliable for the long haul, but I am also betting parts availability for the older Chevy are a lot better.

I am someone who drives an SUV and will always drive an SUV. I have had a few pickups but always went back to the enclosed cab. I prefer having my gear inside, concealed, and easy to access. So I would probably go with the Toyota. You can always add a cargo rack on the roof if you want/need to haul more stuff.

Both have their advantages as you said. So my solution is to take both. That way if one of them breaks down you are not walking and you can carry more stuff which is a good thing. You said it was only 75 miles so gas milage really doesn't figure into it.
If I had to pick just 1 it would be the pickup. I haven't driven anything except a truck in years and I wouldn't change now.

Both have their advantages as you said. So my solution is to take both. That way if one of them breaks down you are not walking and you can carry more stuff which is a good thing. You said it was only 75 miles so gas milage really doesn't figure into it.
If I had to pick just 1 it would be the pickup. I haven't driven anything except a truck in years and I wouldn't change now.
I pondered that for a moment when I wrote the original post. Definitely going to ponder further. I like the concept.

I was thinking along the same lines as Curmudgeon. What type of terrain do you have to cross? I too like to have my gear inside where it is accessible, and maybe less likely to be stolen. A camper shell might be an option for the Chevy. Since the Toyota is four years newer that would weigh heavily in my decision. Even if both are mechanically sound, plastic and rubber parts tend to wear with age. I would go with the Toyota.

Well guess some things I'd want to know for a little better answer is what sort of roads is that 75 miles on? Once you get to the BOL is it and easy drive in or do you have a 2 mile rough ride up an old ruted logging road? How many people are you needing to bug out? You mentioned carrying some supplies, are these organized totes or more like throw it all in when the SHTF?

I think I'd lean to the 4Runner. Now if it's bone stock you might want to invest some money in it. I know you say it's mechanically sound so maybe these don't apply but something to keep in mind First I'd hit any of the common break down/ wear points like new timing chain/ belt, flushing cooling system and new thermostat, new belts, radiator hoses and other fluids and lubes, new diff joints(possibly upgraded to slightly heavier) and then I'd look to add some upgrades like a mild lift, some slightly bigger wheels and tires. maybe heavier bumpers and a winch. I wouldn't get crazy with tires but something with decent mild off road tread that will work decent off road but still get decent gas mileage, no need for mega lug rock climbing tires. Also look at adding or upgrading things like skid plates, and shocks to help handle heavier loaded vehicle. Maybe add some step pipe/ rocker sliders to help protect the body. If you have a welder and the skills you might be able to make the bumpers and slides out of some pipe and plate.

Like was mentioned throw a small roof box on top or a hitch mounted tray to stack things on; though I'm not a fan as they usually block being able to get the rear hatch open and people often overload them to the detriment of the handling of the vehicle. On the roof rack don't get crazy as that high up weight makes things unstable and also cuts down your clearance. You could consider something like tailgate mounted tire rack or jerry can. But depending on how grayman your going for that might not work. Though around here it wouldn't really raise an eye other than from some of the town folk figuring your some redneck. Let them, they'll be eating out of a trash can as your safe at your BOL.

Last option might be something like adding a bug out trailer to the mix. Now these can get crazy from full on custom built off road jobs to a smaller open or enclosed contractor trailer to full DIY. To me advantage of this is that you can have it packed and ready to go and in the mean time you can use it as a camping trailer to use and enjoy on weekends as well as letting you live out of and work with it to figure out what does and doesn't work. You can add jerry can carriers to the outside for extra fuel or water, you can build in battery banks and solar arrays (removable) to charge them along with having shore power to plug them in while sitting at home to trickle charge while waiting for your next trip or next SHTF event.

Here are some pics of the sort of set ups I could see working and might give you some ideas or other directions.

1593366944453.png
1593366963376.png

This silver one with a bumper mounted tire carrier added would probably be the setup I'd look to go with
minus the plastic running boards in favor of the step tubes on the white truck above. Though the white one I like. the dark color one reminds me of the soccer Mom and family loaded down headed to the beach for the week and honestly might be fine on smooth paved roads, off road I'd see that rack dragging. if terrain got rough or steep.
1593367077178.png

1593367670155.png
1593368121940.png

1593367690272.png

I like this one as looks like a utlility work truck body set on a rolling frame
1593367750279.png

very DIY
1593367796271.png

1593367834292.png

and enclosed with some axle and tire work for clearance
here's a link to how this can be done:
https://www.doityourselfrv.com/axle...-trailer-ground-clearance-better-boondocking/
1593367926854.png

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I actually feel a hundred times better today with your help and with the fact I found a MAG within 30 miles from home and work.
Back to the trucks. I'm sharing a image of our 96 Toyota 4 runner. Several years ago I spent a lot of time on the forum called Expedition Portal. So I wanted to build an expedition rig with this truck. I was in the process of adding a lift, and building a rooftop tent trailer. I was spending too much money and I had no place to weld up the type of trailer that I wanted. So I decided to wait until we moved to a place that had a garage. This truck is so nice for it's age that my wife adopted it. I suggested we sell it once. That did not go over well at all. I will never forget the look she gave me!
Now, I drive around town and I notice every 4wd build truck. I notice these trucks because I like the trucks. But I can only imagine if I am a peaceful protester with a gun I would see a white privilege redneck. That I would shoot at it because I would see it as a threat. I want to be a grey man. That's why I plan to use the truck and get a trailer to outfit it with supplies and make it a incognito as a lawn service company. My wife can follow in the t4r supplied should the trailer become a obstacle.
We were told today that if necessary come there. We will, good group of people. This is a relief. I will work on this and work on finding permanent homestead property without needing to rash purchase.
I recently did a complete timing belt service on the Toyota plus I did a complete rear end bearing service.
The pickup was purchased from the company we work for. Every year we service all the trucks in house. I am part of the service team. All petroleum products are always Royal Purple. It's a good truck.
Thanks everyone! You were helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_20150919_192133.jpg
    IMG_20150919_192133.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Forgot to add. It's about 4 miles to get out of town and about 40 miles of back roads to avoid highway travel. All on the edge of the Kansas Flint Hill's.

Attachments

• gettyimages-452840596-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-452840596-612x612.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 17
My 2 cents... I'd keep both ready to go. I'm in the foothills of the appalachia. I got swamps 40 miles wide within 30 minutes of rock crawling trails, terrian here varies drasticly. I put weather as a very big factor in my plans. Which would be better for a blizzard, hurricane or a drought. Which is more adaptable for making new trails or roads under a great number of conditions. I'd keep my options open if getting rid of one vehicle isn't on the horizon. With my luck I'd have to drive through a hurrican after the wildfire to get to the blizzard. I'm with backlash on this one options are always a smart play.

Yep, using them both.
My 2 cents... I'd keep both ready to go. I'm in the foothills of the appalachia. I got swamps 40 miles wide within 30 minutes of rock crawling trails, terrian here varies drasticly. I put weather as a very big factor in my plans. Which would be better for a blizzard, hurricane or a drought. Which is more adaptable for making new trails or roads under a great number of conditions. I'd keep my options open if getting rid of one vehicle isn't on the horizon. With my luck I'd have to drive through a hurrican after the wildfire to get to the blizzard. I'm with backlash on this one options are always a smart play.

Now, I drive around town and I notice every 4wd build truck. I notice these trucks because I like the trucks.
Yaa I'm jealous... I love those older 4R, one of the guys at work has a mid 90's rig that is cherry. He has a real mild lift and nice wheels and tires. I keep trying to talk him into parting with it but he's had it about 20 years and isn't in a rush to give it up anytime soon.

Latest posts

Back