Vertical Farming Wave Of Future

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
https://www.windstream.net/news/rea...rtical_farming_takes_off_in-afp/category/news

http://okaywhatever.com/wordpress/the-pros-and-cons-of-vertical-farming/
Upsides:
Year-round crops. No winter and no need to wait for the right growing season.

No weather issues. No crop failures due to droughts, floods, pests, etc.

Organic by default. No herbicides, pesticides, or fertilizers needed.

Water-cycle neutral. No agricultural runoff. Black and grey water are recycled.

Smaller footprint. Less land is used. Existing horizontal farmland can be returned to its natural ecosystem.

Potential electrical generation. Methane from composting non-edible waste can be converted into electricity.

Reduced fossil fuel use. No diesel-burning tractors. Less shipping due to the farm’s proximity to urban centres.

New sustainable environments. An urban centre ca
can be self-reliant instead of captive to massive traditional farming infrastructure.

Provides the farms for traditionally difficult environments. For instance, vertical farms makes farming in the tropics, the Arctic, space, the moon, and other plants possible.

Downsides:
Expensive. The technology to do this is expensive and may not scale properly. Urban properties are expensive. Wages would be high.

No proof of concept. Because the environment of a vertic
Expensive. The technology to do this is expensive and may not scale properly. Urban properties are expensive. Wages would be high.

No proof of concept. Because the environment of a vertical farm is so self-contained, and actual profitable proof-of-concept would be nice. But there isn’t one yet. So far we’re at space elevator with this.

Some technology isn’t ready. Lighting, recycling, and power generation (just off the top of my head) are not prime-time ready yet. Especially LEDs.

Requires a lot of electricity. There’s only so much sunlight you can reliably capture with a vertical farm. So you’ll have to rely a lot on artificial light. This is expensive. Depending where you live, it’s also environmentally harmful, as electricity may be generated using fossil fuels or coal.

All the infrastructure is elsewhere. Growing the food is only one part of the equation. The other part is processing the food. Only a small portion of what we eat isn’t processed. So not only would you have to move the farm into the city, but you’d have to move the processing plants into the city as well in order to keep the shipping down for truly local food. This presents its own sets of problems, such as scaling down existing processing infrastructure to go vertical, recycling waste products and waste water from processing plants, and dealing with the inevitable pollution issues.

Last edited:
If you walk into a forest you will find that plants naturally grow into a vertical "farm". You have leafy vegetation at ground level with berries above them followed by fruits and then nuts.
Vertical farming is natures way.

If you walk into a forest you will find that plants naturally grow into a vertical "farm". You have leafy vegetation at ground level with berries above them followed by fruits and then nuts.
Vertical farming is natures way.

Yes I agree, I just skipped through it will have to read and see if they haave improved on it.

I'm looking for ssomething seniors people can do that works easy to do. We still like hydroponics and if we want to hydroponics will go good with vertical.And containers.Plus we can grow all year if we have to in greenhouse.

Texas Prepper,

I think the only place that does this in the UK is Thanet Earth and they only do salad type crops.
i'll stick to my raised beds and tyre towers.

At work over the last couple years, I did some concept designs for vertical growing of starts.

Grow VLM.PNG

The idea is to create an automated system that would pull and water every tray of plant starts every day for 2 to 3 weeks until the plants are strong and big enough to move to grow racks or walls to mature.

We even have plans to add fans to create "wind" to help strengthen the plants as they grow.

One of the cool aspects of my job...

until SHTF happens everything will carry on just as it always has, its our attitude and actions post SHTF that will decide who lives and who dies. in the UK not many will see the other side of SHTF.

Vertical farming: for my own little gardening, I have grown cucumbers and pole beans on part of my fence for many years. It has been very effective. Cukes are more uniform, lack a yellow underbelly from laying on the ground.

until the power goes off.

Lonewolf, what about a small solar set up,those are becoming more affordable now? Doesn't take much energyto run pumps for airiation or direct the flow.

Last edited:
It's the future of farming, no way around it.

As green energy tech advances, the yield density of these food factories will make them a no-brainer. All crops will be "locally grown" because each region will have these setups. Add some fish to the equation (making it aquaponics rather than hydroponics), and it gets even better.

In a naive way, I look forward to the day these things replace traditional farm land.
In a more realistic way, I dread the day these take over. Because then companies like Monsanto will likely run the entire operation and their shadiness will stay secret behind locked doors.

Latest posts

Back