"WALKERS" I need an education on "WALKERS"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So, I have been shopping on Amazon for a walker. I was stunned to find that nearly all had wheels. I don't think wheels are going to work in four pr five feet of snow.
So list features to avoid. And other places to shop. Actually, thinking of having one custom made.

Get one that is fully customizable/adjustable and avoid the ones with wheels like the damn plague. find someone who can mount a bicycle basket on the front of one, they really come in handy, and you might want to pad the top rail with some closed cell foam like a water doodle or heavy pipe insulation. your pelvis and rib cage will thank you the first time you nose dive in it!

Me dear departed mum had one that folded up... when the sides were folded outwards for use, a simple but effective locking mechanism kept them secure and stable. I still have that walker now, I'll take a picture of it later and post it here... it's still dark here and I think the walker is in the large metal shed. I've used it twice since my ma passed away seven years ago, once after a bad dirt biking injury to my knee, and the second time after a foot injury at work (pushing a nearly-800-lb. utility cart onto a lift by myself when nobody else was around to help). In each case, the injured body part swelled up something fierce and made walking very painful... I have a high threshold for pain too, but I gladly used the walker to make life easier until the injuries healed. I like this folding walker because it is easily stored, not just sitting around taking up valuable space. I'll post a pic of it later once the sun is shining... I really should bring it inside and store it in a closet where it'll be easy to reach if anything happens (knock on wood). :rolleyes:

My dad recently had hip replacement. He was dead set against the purchase of a walker. That tasked me with finding a loaner or rental. Eventually discovered our local elks club loaned walkers. It was the folding industrial strength type. Adjustable for a limited range of user heights. No wheels. They helped me get the right size for my dad's height and offered tips for ergonomic fitting. Worked out great.

If I was to buy, would start shopping thrift stores and local estate auctions. Or eBay? Getting a used unit could result in getting industrial quality for the price of chinsy foreign made new "composite" steel?

So, I have been shopping on Amazon for a walker. I was stunned to find that nearly all had wheels. I don't think wheels are going to work in four pr five feet of snow.
So list features to avoid. And other places to shop. Actually, thinking of having one custom made.

Just an idea given the snow you have to deal with, perhaps a pair of these for winter, and a walker of choice for better weather.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cru...efix=portable+folding+crutches,aps,161&sr=8-5

1667569003541.png

Having had both knees replaced, at different times, I can say that walkers are a pain in the neck.
The one medicare provided is the generic foldup model with wheels on the front.
My Mom had one that was tricycle - one wheel in front, two in back. It has brakes, a cargo compartment, and fairly large wheels.
Later on today i'll be out in the barn and I'll try to take pictures.

You know, most walkers and crutches can be modified to suit tall people with an old aluminum tent pole and a bolt. I have a pair of crutches that
could be adjusted to fit Shaquille O'Neal. I have found that the higher the crutch, the more weight you can take off your limb, dunno if thats true for walkers however.

Here ya go, Sourdough... got sidetracked earlier by the cats, plus I had to pay my water bill (office is right here in the rural subdivision). This looks to be made by 'Abundant'---probably should've taken a shot of the brand name. You should be able to find it on the web though, this folding walker is simple but it has served me well in the past, and it is strong enough to support me if I lean heavily upon it... I'm about 6' tall and weigh between 190 and 200 lbs., depending upon whether I've recently eaten a holiday dinner, lol. Beer consumption is a variable factor too! :oops:

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1537.JPG

My walker is missing one of the caps or 'foot covers'---I need to find out who sells those, otherwise that foot gets taped up like the plates on a stolen vehicle in Compton, North Philly or the Lower Bronx! South Side Chi-Town as well! Oh, and here's something else I like about this folding walker: it makes a great impromptu rifle & shotgun stand at your nearest outdoor range in the boondocks!

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2099 (1).jpg

IMG_2407 (1).jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2383.jpg

That last pic is of one of the boyz up in Show Low, let's just call him 'Fred!' Lol. ;)

Last edited:
The wheels are designed to make it easier to cross a floor. I don't think they will matter if you are traveling through feet of snow. A walker i 4' of snow would be quite a workout, pushing it into and pulling it out for each step.

I have a pair of ski poles that are adjustable for height, with ice points on the end and removable baskets. With or without snowshoes I would expect the ski poles to do better for you.

Here are a few choices:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ski+pole...+p,aps,164&ref=nb_sb_ss_pltr-ranker-1hour_5_5

My walker is missing one of the caps or 'foot covers
Dollar store has them in the form of furniture caps, Kroger and Walmart pharmacy sell the real deal. <----Used to make custom made canes.

Lots of helpful ideas. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back