Wanna buy a dime bag of huevos?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection has been seeing an increase in eggs being brought across the border, which is technically illegal, according to the agency.

According to the San Diego Field Office, officers have seen a rise is in the number of eggs intercepted at its ports of entry.

My first reaction was sign me up for a bag, but I guess I want to know the price first. Eggs have gotten STUPID expensive around here. Prices have gone up over $2.00 a dozen in the past few months (from around $2.99/doz to over $5.00/ doz). The way things are going eggs may get more profitable than Fentanol.

I had heard there was a serious bird flu that killed a bunch of chickens in the USA. Has anybody else heard that?

Last edited:
Egg Bootleggers?

I will join them. The way prices are going around here. I would even go one step further and hire them to run the chicken farm I am going to buy.

Last time I looked eggs were about 8 bucks a dozen. 12 bucks for 18 and 35 for 5 dozen..
Stupid expensive...
I just used the last of my eggs too. I went n bought a 18 pack before I remembered my neighbor keeps her hens going on heat lamps n still is getting eggs she sells for 3.50 a dozen.
Owell..next time. It wont be long b4 my girls start laying again. I should have glassed some eggs this year..

Wow. I see them for $6 a dz in the bigger town. The amish ladies around here will sell for $2.50 a dz to locals. Glad we have our own. Getting about 10 a day now.

I would seriously do a cost analysis. How many do you need for personal use? What is the excess? How much would it cost to package what you want to sell, and start a side business.

Nope, I use them for raw milk and meat barter. I've got enough pork sausage for the year now. I also give rides into town. And we have two freezers in our outbuilding that belong to our amish neighbors. I just gave up 12 roosters and helped neighbor butcher them, and she's canning them today, and I'll get canned meat. And so will our newly widowed other neighbor. I'll be bartering tomato and pepper plants soon enough in the spring. Send out your extras....and others extras come your way. It's nice to have fresh baked bread and cookies, and sometimes full dinners brought your way. And I'll be hatching chicks soon enough, and will be keeping some and giving some.

Egg Bootleggers?

Lol, the Memes are practically 'writing Themselves'..

TIYBOWTH.jpg
:)

..OK, another: You've all heard of Sea Pirates.. and Porch Pirates.. Well, Foxes of the World, move over - Now there's 'Coop Pirates'... ;)

Yeah, it's pretty bad, everywhere.. For those that have 'Sprouts' stores in their area, Fwiw, they're still beating even Hellmart, on pricing (ie: 18 ct Brown 'Cage Free' Eggs, $5.99 :cool: Not too-bad, comparatively..)

jd

I had heard there was a serious bird flu that killed a bunch of chickens in the USA. Has anybody else heard that?
There have been cases of bird flu throughout the US. What is driving the cost of eggs up (aside from the government's monetary policies) is that entire flocks of laying hens have been ordered culled by health inspectors if they find a single case of the flu in the flock. Apparently this strain of bird flu is very virulent and has been running rampant through native species of birds. The county extension office here issued a warning about it last spring with the recommendation that anyone with domestic birds keep them contained and under cover (the flu spreads through the droppings of wild birds).

My first reaction was sign me up for a bag, but I guess I want to know the price first. Eggs have gotten STUPID expensive around here. Prices have gone up over $2.00 a dozen in the past few months (from around $2.99/doz to over $5.00/ doz). The way things are going eggs may get more profitable than Fentanol.

Government LIES!!

They are going in a preemptively killing entire flocks, even with no bird flu found.
Sounds just like the 'baby formula' devastation in the past, don't it? gaah

Eggs are running about $4.99/dozen for large, a little more for extra large. Eggs are a commodity just like grain, and there's a shortage right now. I expect to see the cost drop once the stocks of layers are replenished, but it's like anything else - there will have to be a glut before prices go back to pre shortage levels, and I don't expect to ever reach that level. Producers don't want to take a loss on overproduction so I'm thinking they'll keep the numbers down a little from where they were before...

Eggs are running about $4.99/dozen for large, a little more for extra large. Eggs are a commodity just like grain, and there's a shortage right now. I expect to see the cost drop once the stocks of layers are replenished, but it's like anything else - there will have to be a glut before prices go back to pre shortage levels, and I don't expect to ever reach that level. Producers don't want to take a loss on overproduction so I'm thinking they'll keep the numbers down a little from where they were before...
BINGO!!!
How fast people forget. :mad:
How hard is it for you to find TP today?
How outrageously expensive is TP today?
Are you constantly searching for TP today?
Were all 3 true in the past? Yes... but not today.
Supply and demand still rule the day.
If eggs are at $10 a dozen, people will eat something else, and demand will drop fast.

I can attest to massive eradication by authorities because of this bird flu potential. My 'son in law' is a California Highway Patrol officer, on a special assignment, and for months, he was order by search warrants to remove any and all egg laying chickens from small backyard breeders, wring their necks, and toss them into burlap bags. They would dump the dead chickens into a centralized dumpster that was burned on a routine basis. He said it was a directive by state officials as the only was to stop the airborne virus in California. My only concern was this occurred about 2 months ago, so why is this egg shortage just coming to light now?

I have been thinking of a family I know who purchased an acreage last year. One of the things that the husband wants to do is to have at least 75 chickens. They had backyard chickens before they moved.

If there is an egg shortage, then there is going to be a shortage of baby chicks this year. @Amish, selling baby chicks might become a request that you will see.

I can attest to massive eradication by authorities because of this bird flu potential. My 'son in law' is a California Highway Patrol officer, on a special assignment, and for months, he was order by search warrants to remove any and all egg laying chickens from small backyard breeders, wring their necks, and toss them into burlap bags. They would dump the dead chickens into a centralized dumpster that was burned on a routine basis. He said it was a directive by state officials as the only was to stop the airborne virus in California. My only concern was this occurred about 2 months ago, so why is this egg shortage just coming to light now?
The depopulation around here was ongoing for several months. Iowa is one of the largest egg producing states, if not the largest. The commercial layer industry is centered to the North of me and the swine flu hit them pretty hard. I don't have figures, but I know there have been farms with tens of thousands of birds that were decimated. Per our CBS affiliate in Des Moines, as of last March, nearly a year ago, 12.6 million chickens and turkeys were destroyed due to the bird flu. I imagine those numbers are far higher now, and the commercial facilities those birds are kept in are probably quarantined for a time after the birds are removed. I would need to do some more research to find out the specifics about it.

I see this as similar the the PRRS outbreak in the national swine herd years ago. After the swine industry moved to the giant hog buildings in the 90s, PRRS (Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome) wiped out a bunch of herds. The sows were not badly affected but litters would be stillborn. Pigs in the grower stage wouldn't gain. The hog confinements had to be emptied and sterilized and had to sit for a length of time before being populated again. But in time, the herds returned to normal. In fact there was another boom of building facilities. The chicken herd will recover in due time just like the hogs. But we'll have to slog through this mess until that time comes...

What concerns me is how this could be spun as a way for one person to become VERY rich. Hypothetically speaking, let's say you own "Fester" Farms. You are big enough to have scientists working for you. You also happen to be one of the largest political donors in the world. You have your scientists say all chicken and egg producers except yourself, of course, is subject to this "bird flu" disease, and order all chickens to be destroyed, except for yours. Well, wouldn't this be nice for your own profits?
I'm certainly not saying this happened, but with all the lack of trust with our government currently, I can see this as just another way for politicians to influence our current economy.

Latest posts

Back