Wanna buy a dime bag of huevos?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan on doing chicks when the weather warms a bit, and then keep it going till late fall. I can sell, but if it's family, I just give. The roosters provide us with meat, so I don't really care what I hatch. I gave my favorite cousin's daughter and her family 19 young laying hens late fall so that they could have eggs this winter and on. More people want to buy laying hens and not chicks, but I'm not interested in selling laying hens.
I can't imagine why a Highway Patrolman would have to go out and kill chickens. I would think the police union would have something to say about "job duties". Wringing chickens necks and throwing them in bags is easier said then done. How do Highway Patrolmen have jurisdiction in towns? You know, some of the roosters I just caught for butchering were not much fun to catch. Even had to have little granddaughter be a blocker on the last 3.

I plan on doing chicks when the weather warms a bit, and then keep it going till late fall. I can sell, but if it's family, I just give. The roosters provide us with meat, so I don't really care what I hatch. I gave my favorite cousin's daughter and her family 19 young laying hens late fall so that they could have eggs this winter and on. More people want to buy laying hens and not chicks, but I'm not interested in selling laying hens.
I can't imagine why a Highway Patrolman would have to go out and kill chickens. I would think the police union would have something to say about "job duties". Wringing chickens necks and throwing them in bags is easier said then done. How do Highway Patrolmen have jurisdiction in towns? You know, some of the roosters I just caught for butchering were not much fun to catch. Even had to have little granddaughter be a blocker on the last 3.
Not sure it's the same everywhere, but here the State Patrol has jurisdiction everywhere. I can't imagine our Patrolmen taking on that duty though, as they are understaffed as it is. Our Dept of Agriculture gets involved in the large scale euthanasia of herds.

I'm still in shock that police officers would go into people's private backyards and kill their family's food source because IT MIGHT BE possible that they could have avian flu. You'd think they'd know right from wrong and not just follow orders. It's going to be a mess when SHTF.

I'm still in shock that police officers would go into people's private backyards and kill their family's food source because IT MIGHT BE possible that they could have avian flu. You'd think they'd know right from wrong and not just follow orders. It's going to be a mess when SHTF.
That would be a very bad idea in my part of the world.

I'd be so pissed if that happened..
That is so nazi mentality..
First the chickens in a few years will they come after our dogs? WTHeck seriously?!?!
That is insane..and folks put up with it?
I think I'd probably get myself arrested ..I dont know..good stuff to think about.
It seems this world is getting crazier daily..

I'd be so pissed if that happened..
That is so nazi mentality..
First the chickens in a few years will they come after our dogs? WTHeck seriously?!?!
That is insane..and folks put up with it?
I think I'd probably get myself arrested ..I dont know..good stuff to think about.
It seems this world is getting crazier daily..
It's already being said that we shouldn't have dogs and cats because they consume meat contributing to global warming because cows fart!!

Chickens are a big source for me and mine. Not just eggs but meat I have a big family so I butcher 40-50 a year and we have 16 layers. It don’t set well thinking someone would just come on the place and take food out of my kids bellies.

Ok go back 80-90 years if you didn’t grow it raise it or hunt it. You didn’t eat. How many people do you think have been hurt stealing chickens back then??

Looo back at the hayfield McCoy fued. A lot of them were shot killed. And it all started over a feeder hog.

Dinner discussion at my favorite cousin's place tonight...we had a few guests that aren't normally there, and they asked about chickens/eggs if my cousin sells any. They don't, just have enough eggs for their daughter's family (I gave them the hens) and I bring my cousin a few dz every Sunday. But we don't sell. We were talking about a farm about 15 miles from here that had some chickens stolen this morning....while they were at church. Wonder if we'll be seeing more of that. Also discussed where the restaurant in town gets their eggs...probably from the Sisco truck.

Dinner discussion at my favorite cousin's place tonight...we had a few guests that aren't normally there, and they asked about chickens/eggs if my cousin sells any. They don't, just have enough eggs for their daughter's family (I gave them the hens) and I bring my cousin a few dz every Sunday. But we don't sell. We were talking about a farm about 15 miles from here that had some chickens stolen this morning....while they were at church. Wonder if we'll be seeing more of that. Also discussed where the restaurant in town gets their eggs...probably from the Sisco truck.
Stealing chickens used to be fairly common during the Great Depression and even earlier in U.S. history. I've done enough reading in old newspapers from Nebraska while doing genealogy research, to have read plenty of stories about chicken thieves. When people would ride around the country after stowing away on trains, it would be one thing they could easily take. Cleaning it of course is some work.

I've read other liberal opinion articles that also think it's corporate greed on all of the rise in food prices. I guess that's easier to swallow if you are one that doesn't think the printing of fiat currency causes severe inflation, and that this is the result of it. Interesting though their numbers of other items do not seem high enough. Like for butter. The other comment I've heard is that it's still a good price for cheap protein....and somehow that is supposed to make it ok.

SAN DIEGO (KABC) -- U.S. Customs and Border Protection has been seeing an increase in eggs being brought across the border, which is technically illegal, according to the agency.

According to the San Diego Field Office, officers have seen a rise is in the number of eggs intercepted at its ports of entry.
Sorry, but I think this is funny in a pathetic sorta way. We let the illegals in. We let the drugs in. We let the illegal arms in. But wait! Be scared! They are smuggling eggs into the country :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back