Want to buy a village in Spain? Some as low as $55,000!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Might be a good retirement shot. Buy an entire village!!

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20191121-can-tiny-abandoned-towns-put-galicia-on-the-map

Excerpt: "Rosy Costoya is a vet, an entrepreneur and, she says, a little bit meiga. In the Spanish region of Galicia, meiga refers to a witch or wise woman, particularly a rural dweller with a detailed knowledge of local herbs and potions. "I come from a small village and I'm very attached to my land," she says.

Costoya loves the wild coastline and rural greenery of Galicia, on Spain’s northwest coast. But it’s a region that has faced decades of depopulation in the countryside. "My father was a rancher and as a child I used to walk with him through tiny villages that were being abandoned,” she says.

Galicia has 3,562 abandoned villages, and that number rises by one every week

Today, the low birthrate and Spain’s ageing society – as well as poor infrastructure – have hit Galicia hard. It has 3,562 abandoned villages and that number rises by one every week, according to Spain’s national statistics body INE. So Costoya, 50, and her husband, UK-born Mark Adkinson, have established a business that aims to help tackle the problem: they sell entire villages to buyers in a bid to bring residents back to Galicia’s shuttered hamlets."

p07vqvd0.jpg

Do you have to comply withthe national laws to own the village? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Do you have to comply withthe national laws to own the village? That would be a deal breaker for me.

My guess would be yes. And because several are "historic," you would likely have to comply with the history preservation requirements and red tape for all that.

Yep! Easier to build a big island 500 miles off the coast of the USA.

Latest posts

Back