Watching a "porcupine" nursing her young.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
And they are about five feet away, just outside the cabin window. First time I've seen that. She nursed for about ten minutes. Would have been nice to have one of those cell phone thingies. Now she is just sitting hugging the the little one. Would not know there were two porcupines, the little one is exact same color as her underside and she has her arms around the little one. Just looks like one huge porcupine. Actually the little one is 2/3 as big as the mother.

And they are about five feet away, just outside the cabin window. First time I've seen that. She nursed for about ten minutes. Would have been nice to have one of those cell phone thingies. Now she is just sitting hugging the the little one. Would not know there were two porcupines, the little one is exact same color as her underside and she has her arms around the little one. Just looks like one huge porcupine. Actually the little one is 2/3 as big as the mother.
How awesome😊

What was interesting to me, was how she nursed. Which was different then bears or moose or caribou. She would sit. Bears will not sit and nurse.

I've had couple of interesting scenes around here, one day when I was installing. our metal roof I came around the corner of our home and just at the top of a dirt ramp was a doe nursing two fauns, then there was the time I walked into a storage shed where I keep plywood and saw two bats nursing tiny young babies, I consider it a blessing to see such things, we're grateful to call our property,ey nursing grounds, animals come here because they know they are safe, I don't use our property for hunting.

Hubs hunts deer off our property but only if they are big bucks. He is pretty picky about what he'll take, unlike some of his family members who have active trigger fingers. We don't let them hunt our property.

Typically we let wildlife do what they do here........except that one time when I brought the dogs back home from a walk and noticed a skunk under the birdfeeder. Thank goodness I had the dogs on leashes and they didn't see the skunk. I took them in the house and went and got hubs, who in turn got his .22 and snuffed the skunk. It was an impressive shot. I've never had a dog get into a skunk before.....and it's not something I ever want to deal with! I did feel a little bit bad for the little dude, but the dogs come first in this homestead.

That is cool, sourdough. Amazing creatures even though they are one of my least favorite of Alaskan mammals. I had always heard of how light their quills were, but I never fully appreciated how light they were until I had to de-quill my previous dog a few years ago. Those quills are amazing adaptive "technology." And they are nasty if you get stuck by one.

Hubs hunts deer off our property but only if they are big bucks. He is pretty picky about what he'll take, unlike some of his family members who have active trigger fingers. We don't let them hunt our property.

Typically we let wildlife do what they do here........except that one time when I brought the dogs back home from a walk and noticed a skunk under the birdfeeder. Thank goodness I had the dogs on leashes and they didn't see the skunk. I took them in the house and went and got hubs, who in turn got his .22 and snuffed the skunk. It was an impressive shot. I've never had a dog get into a skunk before.....and it's not something I ever want to deal with! I did feel a little bit bad for the little dude, but the dogs come first in this homestead.
Dogs and skunks are bad news. When I was in high school our dogs went nuts one evening. I saw a skunk in the big yard and the lab was growling and barking. The shepherd mutt was darting in and out, acting fierce. I grabbed the shotgun and headed out lickety-split, but that mutt got too close before I could get in range. Ol' skunk got him right in the face. The dog did some contortions that would have made The Exorcist proud, trying to wipe that skunk poison off his head in the grass. I didn't know a dog could rub the top of his head on the ground while standing on all four feet!😂

BTW those dogs were outside dogs, so we didn't try to unstink the shepherd mutt. He just had to deal with it for a week. He was too dumb to figure out why nobody wanted to pet him...

I've had couple of interesting scenes around here, one day when I was installing. our metal roof I came around the corner of our home and just at the top of a dirt ramp was a doe nursing two fauns, then there was the time I walked into a storage shed where I keep plywood and saw two bats nursing tiny young babies, I consider it a blessing to see such things, we're grateful to call our property,ey nursing grounds, animals come here because they know they are safe, I don't use our property for hunting.
They know😊❤️

Latest posts

Back