Water barrels and algae?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where I grew up, if it rained it would evaporate before the ground got wet. Not true... But we did go for months without a trace of rain, you just couldn't store enough water to bridge the dry times. Here, during "normal" times we have a 30% chance of rain on any given day and our dry periods are usually less than 3 weeks.

Every place has specific needs and you have to adjust everything to reach your goals....

The average annual precipitation in South Carolina ranges between 45" (1143mm) and 80" (2032mm) and occurs throughout the year.

I would die of thirst if I had to rely on rain catchment.
We average 7.5 inches of precipitation per year.

Same, about 11" total here a year so I don't bother to collect it, instead I have a 300' deep well and 650 gallon storage tank.

I don't think it can be said too often, prepping is a hyper local activity. What is essential in one place, could be irrelevant just a mile away.
Same can be said about local resources. I have to grow a fully ripened dig but a coal seam can supply my energy needs.

Ben

I wrapped my 55 gallon plastic barrels with felt paper until I got some extra bitathane then put a piece of plywood on top. No alge

It didn't rain today, but last night we had dew this morning, just enough to wet the plant leaves. I had a clean empty bucket sitting outside not enough to even measure. But, yesterday I had finished connecting my rain water collection system and had connected it to 1 barrel. I had washed the barrel inside and out and dried it completely (has a removable top), before connecting it the the rain water collection system. It had 5 gallons of water in it this morning! So depending on the collection system it does not take a lot of rain to make an impact. I think of the barrels like a buffer between rain events, you need to match the storage capacity of system to your daily usage and the expected interval between rains.... we get rain here on average every 3 days and my garden uses about 50 gallons of water a day, so my minimum will be 150 gallons of storage. I have found that 1/2" of rain can fill my barrels to overflowing.

As I was cleaning my barrels I made another discovery, the little bit of algae that forms in the barrels will flow through you valves and lines as you withdraw water from the system, I found this stuff collected at each of my valves and although it didn't stop the flow it did reduce it, and that impacts the ability of my pump to move water through the system. So I am adding cleaning my valves to my maintenance list.

Something that @Aerindel said got me to thinking about when I was growing up. The place I lived received 3" of rain a year, when it rained it was like a holiday to stop and look up. But to keep a small garden like the one I have going still takes a lot of water. If I didn't have a river or a well could I collect enough water to make it work? Well if I had 12000 sq feet of collection area and a 10,000 gallon tank the answer is yes. If you needed to have water for your household, you would need to double that. When I visited Thomas Jefferson's Monticello I noticed that all the roofs directed the rain water to a set of cisterns that combined held about 12,000 gallons and the whole house complex was at an elevation above the garden area, so the house collected water for the house and the garden, but Virginia gets a lot more rain than where I grew up.

Flash forward, there would be no reason to create a flat surface of 24,000 square feet to provide water to a house and small garden, unless that surface also did something useful... This is my visualization of something reasonable, a small solar farm 150' X 160', setup on 8 rows 20' wide elevated to 12' off the ground by steel girders, at the bottom edge of each row of panels it a gutter going to a collection system which dumps in to a sentiment tank and then into one of 2 10,000 gallon fiberglass water tanks (1 at each end so the maximum gutter run in 75'). Now you have your rain water collection system, a solar farm, and a lightly shaded place under the structure where you could row garden, even using a small tractor. You could even use the girder structure to support over head zoned sprinklers.

Yep, if I won the lottery I would buy a bunch of property in the middle of no-where Nevada and build a place like that.....

But things being what they are, I will be happy making my garden work with the rain I get here.

Today, I finished my barrel stands, completed the collection manifold, installed new bungs in the bottom of 5 55 gallon barrels and mounted them on the stands. If I had known how easy it would be to install the new bungs I would have done that to my indoor water barrels. I used a fiberglass wire guide rod (for fishing electrical lines) to guide the new bung to the new hole (Just run the rod through both holes and slide the bung down to the hole in the bottom, then guide the threads through the hole (I used my pocket knife) and start the nut (which is reverse threaded), once the nut is started install the 3/4 plug into the bung (it is right hand threaded) hold the plug while tightening the nuts, easy peasie. Only hard part was I had to carry each barrel over my head to get to my work area, wash it out with Lysol, drill the hole and install the bung and delivery line, then carry it over to the stand, route the line through the bottom of the stand and to the supply manifold. Anyway I now have 200 gallons on line and the other 250 will be on line before the weekend.

This month we have had 1/4" of rain here and the last rain was on the 8th, I have been using only the rain barrels to water the garden since then, today is the 16th and my rain barrels ran dry as I finished watering today.. They were not completely full but they carried me for 8 days. We are hoping to get some rain tomorrow night.

It rained here again today.

Latest posts

Back