Water filter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMC

The Shaman of suburbia's son and apprentice.
Neighbor
I bought a huge Berkey, and it tastes amazing, only problem is, I hear that after a few days in the bottom chamber, the water goes south. Is this true? It's a source of disagreement between my housemates and I.

I bought a huge Berkey, and it tastes amazing, only problem is, I hear that after a few days in the bottom chamber, the water goes south. Is this true? It's a source of disagreement between my housemates and I.
If that is the case, I'm in trouble. I have a Berkey, and keep adding water to the top and getting water from the spigot.

I've had one for a couple of years now and that has never been an issue with mine. I drink about 2 quarts per day so there is typically a pretty steady flow through it. I clean the filters when the flow slows to a crawl from top to bottom. I usually clean it about every 6-9 months or so. I also have a berkey light that is all plastic, so that might be different than what you have.

I would expect that if your water goes bad you're not drinking any water and you might as well put the filter back in the box until you're ready to consume water. I've put my filtered water in a plastic gallon jug for over a year without problem.

I have not ever heard of this. We have had a Berkey for years, some days you use more water than others. According to Berkey, you have to refill everyday or every other day and it circulates the water that is left in the top and bottom chambers
I did not know that you need to refill that frequently. I am sometimes gone from home for days at a time, so I have not been doing this.

I've not had issues with mine. When I would be away for a week I would empty and dry it all out but I did leave it once for 4 weeks and when I got there I tested the water and it was still ok to drink (i.e. no bacteria had multiplied in it).

Reactions: Neb
ive had a berky for over 12 years and have not had any problem with the water. i use a good bit and like to keep some filtered water in jugs on the counter to use during the day. i do scrub out the top and bottom of my berkey every so often so theres no chance of something building up.
probably a good idea t to try to get a couple extra filters while we can for down the road.

Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back