Water Glassing eggs

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmersDaughter

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
1703337793968.png

On April 20, 2022 I put 14 eggs in the jar and added an ingredient.... which egg came out of the jar in the bowl and which egg came out of the carton can you guess I did this last December you really can't tell the difference. Anyone ever do this?

I have water glassed before..it works well enough for sure. The only difference I noticed was the white part of the eggs got a bit runny and that seems to be what other folks say when they have done this..otherwise they were fine. What ingredient did you use in the solution?

How do you do this? That’s amazing. I never heard of this.
Here's a recipe from the net...

------------------------------------------------------
How to water glass eggs and preserve them at room temperature

What you’ll need…
8 oz pickling lime
8 quarts filtered water
Fresh unwashed eggs
A container to store them in
A scale
A whisk

We are going to use pickling lime for this, and it is known by several names (hydrated lime, slacked lime, calcium hydroxide). It can be a little confusing, but if it has one of those names, then you are good to go. They sell this same thing in those little tiny Mrs Wages pickling lime packets for super expensive. But I buy this in bulk from Azure Standard. You could probably even find it at your hardware store.

You also need a container to store the eggs in. A plastic bucket, a pickling crock, a glass jar. I am using a food safe 5 gallon bucket with a gamma seal for mine.

-----------------------------------------------

The forum gave away a few copies of this... The Encyclopedia of Country Living. Everyone needs a copy, great book! I bought a copy and i was born on this farm. Educational, even for old farmers like me.

It lists 3 methods for preserving eggs long term in detail. This includes the water glass method.

Country living.jpg

Last edited:
It might be a good time to preserve some eggs again too..I hear they are getting expensive again and a few weeks ago, millions of laying hens were culled. Supposedly bird flu somewhere. I cant recall where .
I have a few eggs left from my hens and they stopped laying a few weeks ago. I usually buy some local or at the store and it wont be long untill they start up again. I'll pick some up to tie me over tho.

I have water glassed before..it works well enough for sure. The only difference I noticed was the white part of the eggs got a bit runny and that seems to be what other folks say when they have done this..otherwise they were fine. What ingredient did you use in the solution?
pickling lime

i know we cant water glass store bought eggs but i think i read somewhere they can be rubbed with mineral oil for long term storage?
anyone try that?
I watched a video about a Antarctica crew who had a egg oiling party at the beginning of their stay in the research station. Otherwise their eggs wouldn't last the 3 or 4 month long stay..it took the whole crew of folks to do this..

i know we cant water glass store bought eggs but i think i read somewhere they can be rubbed with mineral oil for long term storage?
anyone try that?
My wife does and they keep real good. Does anyone know that water glass was also used to seal leaky radiators? It was also used in ruining perfectly good gasoline and diesel engines that were considered to be fuel hogs and non-electronically engines, the PTB also called for drilling holes in the engine blocks to make them unusable .

I have an over abundance of fresh farm eggs. I’m thinking of trying one of these methods to preserve them. Oil or water preserving. Which do you think I should try?
These eggs are unwashed and still have the bloom. How long can they sit on the counter if I don’t do any further preserving.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back