Water pump for irrigation... any ideas?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PopPopT

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I could use some input. I'm thinking in terms of irrigation for several areas, none of which are easily hooked to a well or city water connection. Water storage isn't that difficult. And drip lines are really cheap and easy to deal with. But, I need something that can supply the water evenly over a fairly long period of time.

I'm kinda the oddball in that I don't need a high volume of water pumped quickly and at high pressure. I need a lower volume of water at low pressure and it's just fine if it takes hours to accomplish that. It's probably better if drip lines are run for extended periods of time anyway because it gives a chance for the water to soak into the ground more deeply rather than running off.

Most pumps seem to be great at pumping a lot of water fast and usually at a pretty high pressure. Some don't want to be run continuously, though. I had thought about a typical RV style pump but they are not meant for continuous use and will get really hot after the first 10 minutes or so. Longevity would be questionable. I thought about a shallow jet well pump and a pressure tank. And I thought about a cheap submersible pump but don't really know how that would hold up with it being made to pump huge volumes of water compared to what I need to move. (Would it be hard on it to run continuously with only say 2 gallons of water being allowed to flow through every minute?

The pressure in these systems is like 15psi. And I'd be watering small enough areas that I probably wouldn't want it dumping more than maybe 1 to 2 gallons of water a minute, probably not even that much if I wanna water individual garden rows.

The one other grower in the area that's doing drip irrigation lines is just hooked to city water, screw the headaches, and pay the bill. I wouldn't want his water bill. But he does sell 5 figures worth of strawberries every spring.

I don't have enough elevation differences to try to put a tank on a high spot of the property with no pump at all.

Dunno. I can see several possibilities. But I thought maybe I'd throw it out there and see whether any of you have an idea that might work well.

I'm using primarily a pond for irrigation at this point, mostly hand watering, which his a pain, but so far, it has gotten me by. (That and rain.) But I'm in the process of adding a 30 x 96 high tunnel but even with rain catchment, I need some way of getting the water where I need it when I need it, rain won't help there, except to fill a reservoir.

Thanks for the thoughts!

I haven't tried it out yet, but I bought a submersible pump to put in my neighbors pond to water our garden. I'll be lifting the water maybe 20' and run at 15psi tops. But my drip line is .5 GPM every 12" in 100' rows, between 12 and 15 rows. So I'll be moving more water, but guessing 2-4 hours at a time.
Then I need to figure out getting water to 10 raised beds. That lift is at least 20' in the opposite direction. I'm thinking just water on alternate days.

Could you put the pump in a floating basket? or something to act as a screen for the water going into the pump. Most of the fountain pumps could suck up a lot of muck sitting on the bottom if it were in something that could filter the water before it gets to the pump it would extend the life of the in line filter. I have used a fountain pump to feed a drip irrigation system (I went really cheap) and you either had volume or pressure, but not both. I am looking at the one I have and it is rated at about 20 ft of head, or about 9 psi with zero flow or at 2500 GPH at 0 feet ~1 psi, It failed to meet my needs as I needed about 25 psi and about 2000 GPH. Looking back what I needed was a pump rated at about 60 ft of head and 2500 GPH.

Could you put the pump in a floating basket? or something to act as a screen for the water going into the pump. Most of the fountain pumps could suck up a lot of muck sitting on the bottom if it were in something that could filter the water before it gets to the pump it would extend the life of the in line filter. I have used a fountain pump to feed a drip irrigation system (I went really cheap) and you either had volume or pressure, but not both. I am looking at the one I have and it is rated at about 20 ft of head, or about 9 psi with zero flow or at 2500 GPH at 0 feet ~1 psi, It failed to meet my needs as I needed about 25 psi and about 2000 GPH. Looking back what I needed was a pump rated at about 60 ft of head and 2500 GPH.
Tell me more!

I have plenty to learn when is comes to pumps and hydraulics. How did you you cone to that conclusion?

Ben

Maybe go at this a little different? These white tanks are 250 gallons, they also come in 300-gallon size and fairly cheap.

I know you don’t need a pump like the yellow one in the pic. Its 5.5hp and uses 1.75inch line. But the other little honda pump is only 1.1hp, feeds a 1” or 3/4" line. It’s a great little pump. I think the head is around 50-60ft.

But… Can you fill, say 2 – 250gallon tanks with a larger pump then allow them to gravity feed your drip lines? Instead of a tiny pump running continually?

My little honda pump is a great pump, been using it almost 15 years.

We had a couple bad years of drought some time ago and I had 2 acres of produce in the field plus a 1-acre garden. I was hauling 750 gallon of water a trip from a neighbor’s pond. That’s why I bought the big pump. It’ll fill a 250gallon tank in about 5 minutes. I mostly used gravity to empty the tanks on my produce but the little pump was handy in a couple of spots so I could irrigate uphill where it wasn’t practical to pull the trailer.

Water pumps  (1)a.JPG
Water pumps  (4)a.JPG

Tell me more!
I have plenty to learn when is comes to pumps and hydraulics. How did you you cone to that conclusion?
Ben
My system had a lot of emitters (~100) to cover all the plants in my tiny garden, but I wasn't planning to water it all day. The trouble was the emitters needed about 15-20 psi to operate properly and each was rated at 0.5GPH. When I tried to use the fountain pump with all the emitters, they all just dribbled on themselves.... and I didn't cover half my plants (I need at least a 2' spray to have coverage, and 1" didn't do it). Then I switched over to an RV water pump like this one (but I had a 120V AC unit)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/New-RV-M...00016785&wl14=rv water pump&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds
This pump had the pressure, but not the volume (at 35PSI and 5 liters per minute), the emitters on one box would work great, when all the boxes were connected to the pump, it ran constantly and the emitters were back to a dribble.... My solution was to use the RV pump and it have it feed a manifold with a small volume air chamber (like on @Neb 's ram pump to even out the pressure spikes) and a set of sprinkler timers, each box got water for about 10 minutes. I used 3 of the 4 port timers, each box also has a valve so I can turn off a box when it is unused.

Eventually, the pump would clog up with sludge (even with rain water) and algae so having an easy clean filter before the pump became important.

On a side note: I use a pump like this RV water pump (12 Volt version) inside my house. I have city water but the pipes are old and the break in the changing seasons, when they do we get a slug of sand and mud in our service water. I have a little indoor water storage next to my sump pump, and when I was doing some plumbing and had the water off anyway, I ran a copper line from a cold water line to a hose bib next to the sump pump. I use this faucet to fill my water barrels, but every 6 months I empty my barrels by turning off the city supply valve and connecting my rv pump to the manifold to the barrels and the "fill" faucet. Turn on the pump and let the house used the barrels till they are empty... then add a little bleach and refill them. When the grand kids were visiting, the county lost a 2' water pipe due to a flood. I turned off the city water valve and hooked up my rv pump. The whole area was without water for days and everyone went nuts...
The little grand-daughter was filling a watering jug from the outdoor faucet as the neighbors pulled up with a pickup truck full of 5 gallon buckets of water. They saw her filling her little bucket and asked, "Do you have water?" she replied, "it's grandpa water". We left the city water off for a few days after they had restored the flow because I don't want to have to replace another washer or water heater (once is enough). The only issue with the system is that the son complained that the water pressure in his shower was a little low....... Everything else works fine...

Sorry, long answer to a short question......

Latest posts

Back