Water retention remedies

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Caffeine is a diuretic. Coffee or tea are decent sources as long as you don't have any problems with the caffeine.

I knew about caffeine, but I need something a tab stronger. I only drink a cup or two of coffee and an occasional cola or tea. Probably not enough to make a difference.

I knew about caffeine, but I need something a tab stronger. I only drink a cup or two of coffee and an occasional cola or tea. Probably not enough to make a difference.
Have a third cup of coffee and then switch to tea. I figure one cup in to one cup out. My coffee cup is sized to my bladder so i can get fresh coffee every time I go to the bathroom. More will make a difference.

Why do you want a diuretic? Have you tried plain water? This should help if you just want to flush your system or lower your salt load.

When I suddenly started retaining water in my ankles, calves and lungs because of CHD I had to get rid of it is a hurry so I was taking water pills, coffee or tea would not have been enough soon enough. I had never had such swelling up until then so it was rather scary, not to mention the sound my lungs were making. Thing is I avoid non natural drugs as much as possible so when I have to take them, they really work good and I called the results SPS, sudden pee syndrome. Oh yeah, I had to have a clear path to the bathroom.

I started having some swelling in my feet Viking. I use chelated magnesium at bedtime. I use 750mg every night but a PA friend if mine uses twice that. Start low and build up till your bowels are comfortably loose. Too much too fast and you can get a job at NASA as a launch vehicle. Don't ask how I know. It relaxes the veins in your legs and makes it easier for blood flow. It relaxes everything else too.

Have a third cup of coffee and then switch to tea. I figure one cup in to one cup out. My coffee cup is sized to my bladder so i can get fresh coffee every time I go to the bathroom. More will make a difference.

Why do you want a diuretic? Have you tried plain water? This should help if you just want to flush your system or lower your salt load.
I've been on a beta blocker for my bld pressure and it caused me to have water retention. I drink water all day. I am off the atenolol now and will be starting benazapril tomorrow.

I started having some swelling in my feet Viking. I use chelated magnesium at bedtime. I use 750mg every night but a PA friend if mine uses twice that. Start low and build up till your bowels are comfortably loose. Too much too fast and you can get a job at NASA as a launch vehicle. Don't ask how I know. It relaxes the veins in your legs and makes it easier for blood flow. It relaxes everything else too.
:coffee::Thankyou:

I put a little apple cider vinegar in a glass and top it off with water each night before dinner. That gets me a few trips to the bathroom and helps with digestion.

Cutting back on salt, along with exercising more helps to reduce fluid buildups.

As mentioned, parsley tea is good.

So is dandelion leaf tea. Just 2 one-cup servings of the tea in one day can produce excellent results: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19678785

These foods can act as diuretics:

- celery
- cucumber
- watermelon
- bell peppers
- asparagus
- berries
- grapes
- onions
- garlic

Peanut, I need a mild natural diuretic. Suggestions?

There are a few hundred plants that can correct water retention (Edema). The plant you chose depends on the type of water retention, there are a few dozen types. I am going to quote as best I can (considering I have cataracts) from a book by Matthew Wood “The Earthwise Herbal Repertory, the Definitive Practitioner’s Guide”.

I will be using the latin names of plants… Google the latin names…

Agrimonia (changeable edema) – Allium satuva – Anagallis – Apium (debilitated and languid) * Apocynum cannabinum) puffiness; area under the eyes swollen, or wrinkled from recent swellin: infiltration into ankles; uremia; small doses or homeopathic) – Arctuyn (osmotic diuretic relieving sodium retention; acidosis; seed) – Arctostaphylos (relaxed, toneless tissues with draggy, weighty feelin; feeble circulation, lack of innervation) – Aralia Hispida……..

This is part of the first paragraph of two pages of information…….

You get the point, you need to give me accurate information, I need to know exactly what type of water retention you have to be able to help you. :) As you can see, as far as plants are concerned... I haven't even got out of the plants whose name begins with "A".

Last edited:
Thanks, Peanut. I have been taking a beta blocker type of med to help control palpitations that have become slowly worse. They haven’t help much. I only noticed some edema in my lower left leg. Not sure why, but since I posted my request, my dr has changed my beta baker to an ace inhibitor which I haven’t started yet. He also started me on a grain of Amour thyroid ( another story altogether). My blood pressure has been very good on nothing at this point. I monitor 2x daily.
I know it may take a few doses to notice a difference, but I think I already feel better. The palpitations are lighter and not as frequent. This may all be thyroid related.
The edema is also less.

I have been taking a beta blocker type of med to help control palpitations that have become slowly worse. some edema in my lower left leg. changed my beta baker to an ace inhibitor. a grain of Amour thyroid ( another story altogether).

You have several health issues, all of which can be affected positively or negativel by a diuretic. I'm not comfortable naming a plant for you. If you wish, PM me and I will try to find a clinical herbalist in your area. Someone far more qualified than me to advise you. :)

Last edited:
You have several health issues, all of which can be affected positively or negativel by a diuretic. I'm not comfortable naming a plant for you. If you wish, PM me and I will try to find a clinical herbalist in your area. Someone far more qualified than me to advise you. :)

Good call there peanut. Compassion with caution, a very good trait to have. Thanks for being here for us.

Thank you for your honesty and integrity! My B/P is staying well below the recommended guidelines and the little bit of edema is subsiding since I started the thyroid and stopped the beta blocker. The palpitations are also subsiding and my energy levels increasing with just a grain of thyroid. I’m not much to take any kind of med if it’s just going to turn out to be a bandaid fix. As I get my energy back, I’ll work on my wt issues which will help even more.

Thank you for your honesty and integrity! My B/P is staying well below the recommended guidelines and the little bit of edema is subsiding since I started the thyroid and stopped the beta blocker. The palpitations are also subsiding and my energy levels increasing with just a grain of thyroid. I’m not much to take any kind of med if it’s just going to turn out to be a bandaid fix. As I get my energy back, I’ll work on my wt issues which will help even more.

Number one important thing we can do is keep the weight down. Not always easy. I stopped eating large meals long time ago. Eat small meals off and on all day, lots of snacks of healthy foods. Try to keep moving if you can.
Obesity is leading cause of health problems and death in this nation. Plus add foods with no real nutrients in them and we get sicker.
Number 2 cause is my bad habit of smoking so not preaching.

Never had a cig in my mouth. Haven’t lost wt even with exercise and dietary changes. When I did loose some wt it came right back even with the diet changes. I’m hoping that with a little time, that the thyroid med will make a difference. If it doesn’t, I’ll have to readjust my thinking.

As your doctor deals with the pharmaceutical end of the problem, a balanced emphasis on certain foods can be beneficial as well. (Balanced, as in not going crazy overboard with it). By the way, young dandelion leaves sprinkled in a salad are delicious, highly nutritious and have many of the same healthful benefits as tea. (But I would not eat a salad entirely of dandelion, lol!)

A reasonable amount of diuretic foods such as the ones listed earlier are gentle in action and are not harmful, but large amounts (or powerful herbs) may not be beneficial in your condition, as Peanut cautioned.

Is this one good?

https://www.pureformulas.com/chelated-magnesium-500mg-100-tablets-by-douglas-laboratories.html

How about B-6?

This sounds ok and uses regular food so probably not toxic to anyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back