Water System Overhaul Questions

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thoma011

New Friend
Neighbor
Hi Everyone!
I'm in the process of replacing the pump, PEX, pressure tank plumbing, and filters in my water system (1500-gallon tank). Old pump room was slapped together by previous owner, and while it works, it's in shoddy condition.

Currently, the pump pulls water from tank, through a single canister filter, then to the pressure tank, then into the house.

My plan is to install a spin-down filter for large sediment, and a two-stage canister filter. What i'm wondering is where to place these filters.

One thought was to place the spin-down before the pump/pressure tank, then place the canisters right before it goes into the house for maximum odor/taste benefit. I figured that this way, any large sediment would be removed by spin-down before it hits the pump, then the canister filters can do their thing before water enters the house.

Second thought was to keep similar set up as I have now, with spin-down and canisters all before the pump/pressure tank.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks in advance!

It is easier to push a liquid through a filter than it is to pull it. A strainer and particulate filter should go before your pump but the more restrictive filters should go after the pump. Place valves (ball valves are best) before and after each filter so they can be changed without a large mess.

There are screen traps that can be placed on the suction side of the pump to keep sand and other abrasive things from wearing the impellor. The best pumps will have stainless steal impellors but I've run across pumps that had fiber re-enforced plastic impellors and I've seen them worn down to nothing, so make sure whatever pump you get has a good metal impellor. The problem is that when you need the water the most that's when these types of pumps fail.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and helping me double-check my thinking and design. I've attached a basic diagram of the system, and wanted to see if need two one-way (check) valves, or if the one right before the pump will be sufficient. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Water-Diagram.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 63
I'd add in one more valve after the filters. I don't know how your system is laid out but you want the valves close to the filters to reduce the water leakage and to make them readily available when doing maintenance.

We are going to add a whole house filter at the house too .Already have one at the welll but water is leaving white film around the sides of pots, tired of paying for the Brita Pitcher filters to stop the film. Pipes are only 14 years old now just built the house back in 2005.Onlytwo of us use the water excpet when company visits.

Meer, you might be having scale buildup from hard water. You could have your water tested. A water softener could help.

I recommend that you only use ball valves, over the years I've seen far too many gate valves fail, like the gate falling off the valve stem and as well, dirt particles, iron bits from well pipe and other things get stuck in the gate closure slot, those things can keep gate valves from closing fully. In fact I have a project for the near future to install a 1,100 gallon black poly tank next to our 1,100 gallon concrete cistern and when I built the original system I used gate valves, when I add the new tank those valves will be changed out for ball valves. By now I wouldn't be surprised to find the gate valve handles rusted out or eaten up by the elements. When I built the system ball valves were not readily available and if they were they may have been too expensive for us.

Latest posts

Back