Water Wars and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
i am only posting for aspect of water issues and lack of water..not politics of it..i dont care about it..i only want solutions either individually or county or city or state or country or even region. we all need water....or else..we die..period !

(even if video has political crap let it slide as theres only so much i can find to share or show troubles)

get yaself a plan is all i got to say..well..catchment..cistern etc. etc. etc. or d. all of the above.

in my opart of colorado im on the edge of the drought map. it does get dry at times and each year is a bit more challenging. but years back i got some fot he big water tote cubes---300 gal i think and have them set up to catchrain water from gutters. this i use as needed for the small gardensi got for veggies.
im wanting to to get a couple more for the back side of the house to get more rain water---i got a feeling it would be very smart to do that. my well and the aquifer in this are is healthy but you never know. rain barrels are our friends.

...get yaself a plan is all i got to say..well..catchment..cistern etc. etc. etc. or d. all of the above.

Yep, even consider a https://emergencywaterwell.com ...'Cheap insurance', for If / Where surface water Can be found.. Even if it must, then, be filtered / boiled, etc - as long as it ain't 'down-stream' from a Chem-dump or Nuke Plant-runoff, etc, well.. 'Water is Life'.. :cool:

jd

We moved from the Mojave desert to an area that gets 50 inches of rain a year. We just didn't see much of a future there anymore. It probably wouldn't take too much of a drought to cause forest fires here. So no place is perfect.

i am only posting for aspect of water issues and lack of water..not politics of it..i dont care about it..i only want solutions either individually or county or city or state or country or even region. we all need water....or else..we die..period !

(even if video has political crap let it slide as theres only so much i can find to share or show troubles)
I appreciate this! Too easy for someone to take a thread off topic by wanting to argue about politics. I've had it happen to my posts, but the main person who did that is thankfully finally gone forever now.

Water is simply not an issue in my area, and I pray I never have to eat those words. That said, we do not take it for granted. Annual precipitation is 34" per year. We do have a catchment system for rainwater, and can easily add more.

Storage: My short term goal is to have 150 gallons on hand at all times. This would be about a one month supply.

Processing: We have the means to both filter, boil and store all of the water we can collect.

Surface: There is a creek within 100 yards of my property with easy public access. There is a lake about 1/2 mile away, but that is on private property. There is a river about 1 mile away with public access.

Wild Card: Supposedly my house was built over a spring. I have no idea how far down I would have to dig to find it, and I am certainly not going to tear up my basement to look. We do have a sump pump, and it runs occasionally when the weather is rainy. If the power went out, and the sump pump didn't run I might have more water than I could have ever imagined. I hope I never find out.

For those that live in really dry climates you might want to look at how the Israeli's live in a desert. They have done remarkable things managing limited resources.

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/israel-s-chronic-water-problem

Last edited:
one of the roughest sites ever..geoff lawton done a fantastic job..this is time lapse of 2009 to 2019.

what a student done after taking lawtons permaculture class. first vid is start of her project a bit after class. second vid is several months later..wow. good job turning nothing into something when you hit rock bottom.she has interesting story.

1-8-22

Back