Way out there thought - saving on funerals/cremations?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hush you!! My husband retires next year and I'm expecting a heck of a lot years for bumming around. Think positive!!
Average
Not to derail the thread but, an ultrasound health screening can give you a piece of mind. They have a couple of events in Albuquerque. It would be worth the $150 or so.
My best friend died at Christmas last year at the age of 47 from a heart attack.

Average
Not to derail the thread but, an ultrasound health screening can give you a piece of mind. They have a couple of events in Albuquerque. It would be worth the $150 or so.
My best friend died at Christmas last year at the age of 47 from a heart attack.

He doesn't know it yet but he has a physical scheduled in 2 weeks. But not in ABQ. I hate driving in Abq, way to much traffic.

This is a bit different. I used to get those comprehensive physicals every year. With this one they do an ultrasound of the vital arteries.

I'll have to ask the Doc about that for hubby but that's one of the tests I'm taking the kid in for Tuesday afternoon.

When my mom passed away last year, she had paid for her plan....every thing taken care of....BUT....she was 99 years and her plan was said to be too old for the present time and I had to pay several hundred dollars difference....even the casket she chose was no longer made...something to think about.....I have a policy with a company I completely trust that will just pay a certain amount, then have an account in savings to make up any difference....

Well...when dad was still alive he called our first ever family meeting. Dad explained that he had prepaid for his and mom's funeral arrangements. Mom wanted angels on the headstone but he thought they wanted too much for that so they weren't going to. Dad announced they decided to be cremated. From the surprise look on mom's face, the cremation part was news to her.

Dad died first. Dad didn't plan on a viewing so the prepayment didn't include one. Mom thought there should be a viewing. I told mom if she wanted a viewing for dad, that dad wasn't here to object to the extra expenditure. We had a viewing.

Wife and I had a brief discussion about making our arrangements. I'm like my dad, why pay for embalming, a casket and a concrete vault just to bury it all (the money associated) in the ground? Wife didn't say either way so I take that as a no (see! I'm learning) to cremation. There is a well maintained country cemetery that has two generation of my family and my best friend buried there. Wife said no, she wants to be beside or close to where her father is buried at the city cemetery. Guess we have some details to iron out before we approach a funeral home to make the final arraignments.

Last edited:
I had to make Dad's final arrangements and have them set and insurance locked in to get the Medicaid for him. He is getting a borrowed/rented casket for a short viewing and then cremation and buried in a plot folks have 2 of. He doesn't really like that cemetery that much, so I have threatened to take his ashes out to Channing, TX and sprinkle his ashes around He lived 13 years out there and loved it. But you can do a cremation and basic urn burial for about $2,000 around here. The rest of the stuff added is to make the $5K insurance policy be used.

My folks took care of everything well before they passed away. I will be forever grateful they did. Made the whole process easy. My SIL died unexpectedly and she had taken care of everything except open and closing. That's a charge from the cemetery to dig a hole and fill it back in, $2000.00. I was with her son when the funeral director told him he had to pay the $2000 before the funeral. He said he didn't have the money so now what would happen. I told him to use his mom's debit card to pay it even tho that was probably illegal as he didn't have the authority to use her account. Funeral director was more than happy to accept the card and he knew what was going on.
I am going to be cremated and have my ashes interned in the National Cemetery. I'll buy an urn from Costco so I can get the reward points. :)I know several people that have been cremated and their ashes are sitting on a shelf at their relatives house.

My burial arrangements are a bit strange to most folks but it is what I want. I will be wrapped in a cotton sheet and buried in a shallow grave so my body will be consumed by the earth. I spent my life taking what the earth provided and plan on giving back what I can. What organs are of value will be donated and what is left will be compost. A small headstone will give the date of my birth and death.

I've told my daughter not to spend money on a funeral. A cousin of mine died in December and she told her siblings she would haunt them if they had one. I would like my ashes to be beside my mother in the family plot. No expenses for a casket, digging a hole, etc. Another cousin died a couple years ago. Funeral was $20,000.

I think I'm going to opt for the viking funeral. Take my cheap jon boat and put me in it, load it with kindling, set it on fire and shove me off! Once the fire burns out recover the metal boat and go fishing in my honor.

I think I'm going to opt for the viking funeral. Take my cheap jon boat and put me in it, load it with kindling, set it on fire and shove me off! Once the fire burns out recover the metal boat and go fishing in my honor.
Sorry, dude, it is not so easily accomplished.

Last edited:
Cremation. Already have the big coffee cans for our ashes. To be spread by the survivor around the area we traveled out West for 9 years, and to give the kids a little in an urn if they want. Probably no service at all. Maybe a wake, but later on.

When a royal member died the Hawaiians would cook the body just like they did pigs.
They would then remove all of the bones. On a moonless night the high priest would take a man to the cliffs and lower him down with the royal bones. The man would put the bones in a hole in the cliff face. The priest would then cut the man free and he would fall to his death so nobody knew where the bones were.
They believed the royal power came from the bones.

He doesn't know it yet but he has a physical scheduled in 2 weeks. ...

My mom did that to dad. Dad would drive them and wait in the Doctor's lobby while mom had her appointment. Then mom made an appointment for dad (after hers) and didn't tell dad. Doctor walked out to the lobby with mom and said, " Mister xxxxxx. You're next."

Every time after that when dad drove mom to her Doctor's appointment he stayed in the car!

Latest posts

Back