Way to get around my town's ordinance laws for livestock???

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Man

New Friend
Neighbor
Me and my wife are trying to get some animals and start our homestead, we've both grown up raising a lot of chickens and goats and we've raised them before but got in trouble with the town because we didn't realize there was an ordinance in place preventing livestock from being owned -here is a copy of the ordinance:

(A) Definition. For the purpose of this section the following definition shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.

LIVESTOCK. Cattle, horses, swine, sheep, goats, or poultry.

(B) Keeping or maintaining livestock. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to keep or maintain livestock within the corporate limits of the town.

We live on 1 1/2 acres of fairly secluded woods literaly on the very edge of town. We are new to this and trying to learn with the hopes of in a few years time when we pay off this home we can go to a more rural area with no such restrictions.
My question is this; is there type of beginner-intermediate friendly type of animal or any way around this ordinance? we want to work our way up to raising our own meat and dairy. we're currently looking into honey bees right now, and I heard that there might be a way around this if you "Name" the livestock -give it a collar etc and it can then be considered a pet, but I'd hate to invest in that and just end up getting slapped with a fine if that doesn't work....
I'm open to any type of suggestions. Let me know what you think!

I don't know about getting around it, but you can try and change it. Go to the local meetings, whether it be township or county and express your opinions. See if they can or will grant you an exemption b/c of your situation. Perhaps ask them to amend the ordinance for land over 1 acre or (over so many feet from an existing dwelling)? It always helps to buddy up with the board, even though I really don't like that tactic much....depends on your officials and how far you are willing to go. I'm not suggesting you cross a line (which is not worth it).....just play nice.

Attend board meetings and if you don't like what they're doing, run for the board!

Last edited:
Looks like you may have to obey the laws or move, sorry but we tried ot fight a simular law i nGerogia an lost,too many surburbanites who will object.Just my opnion but like Weedy says things can change.

I'd probably talk to the police chief and see if they enforce it. There's a ton of laws on the books that aren't enforced.
You may be able to petition for a variance if you get approval & signatures from all your neighbors within 500 feet.
On 1.5 acres, you're not going to get cattle or any other large animal in there. Just not enough pasture area.
If you don't want to ask for permission (ask for forgiveness if you get caught), get animals that don't make noise. Something like rabbits.
Another option may be to raise animals elsewhere. See if you can add some of your animals to some other farmer's land. Compensate him for feed and such and provide labor services.

I'd probably talk to the police chief and see if they enforce it. There's a ton of laws on the books that aren't enforced.
You may be able to petition for a variance if you get approval & signatures from all your neighbors within 500 feet.
On 1.5 acres, you're not going to get cattle or any other large animal in there. Just not enough pasture area.
If you don't want to ask for permission (ask for forgiveness if you get caught), get animals that don't make noise. Something like rabbits.
Another option may be to raise animals elsewhere. See if you can add some of your animals to some other farmer's land. Compensate him for feed and such and provide labor services.

It is an oprion that my BIL used for his horses.But most of us want our animals close by to watch over. Maybe by fall it won't matter if we have another virus episode and they won't care if he has animals or not.

I would just make little hats and sweaters for all of the animals and then claim them as pets. If the cops come out and check 'em just act a little crazy, chances are they will just want to get out of there.

I would just make little hats and sweaters for all of the animals and then claim them as pets. If the cops come out and check 'em just act a little crazy, chances are they will just want to get out of there.
No no no, they are companion chickens. If you want, I am sure we can find someone that would certify that they help you emotionally.

This ^^^. Given your location and lot size they may grant you a variance to have some small stock.

Wow, this was my first thread I've posted on here and I'm surprised how many Idea's have already been made!
Done some more digging on the ordinance and found that it was put into place in the early 60's so I'll make sure I dig into that and see if it is still strictly adhered to whether via police dept or board.
I guess my second option would be to look into making a deal with a couple of my neighbors who are outside town limits and each have 10-50+ acres and our houses are not even within eyesight of each other (one even raises cattle with his fence line adjacent to my property) and see if they would be willing to allow me to at the least build in a chicken coup or perhaps a fenced-in section to keep a Nigerian or Nubian on the edge of their property in exchange for free eggs/milk or labor.

If your property is literally on the border of the incorporated area, I would hope there wouldn't be too much hassle if you kept them on the side of the property that faces away from town. Is all your property within the incorporated zone, or is there perhaps a piece outside where the town zoning rules wouldn't apply?

You mean put lipstick on his pigs?Who said that I forgot?

If your property is literally on the border of the incorporated area, I would hope there wouldn't be too much hassle if you kept them on the side of the property that faces away from town. Is all your property within the incorporated zone, or is there perhaps a piece outside where the town zoning rules wouldn't apply?
Border of my property is also border of town limits.

If it won't bother any of your neighbors and your board likes to be drama free, then I doubt anyone would make a fuss over it. If they did, you could just say "oh, I didn't know".

Folks may have tried n failed, it happens. And it's a learning opportunity. Knowing the ropes before you go in. Do you have a council person who represents you ? Talk to them first. Get their support. Or let them know that you will not be supporting them in the future. A pretty big tool to have, use it.
Now for a more pleasant topic. Rabbits. Lots of folks doing rabbits in communities with ordinances like yours. Always helps to keep your animals clean. I was surprised by the amount of folks raising them inside their homes because of government restrictions.
In my opinion. These kind of restrictions are there there because folks let government take over. Always for the betterment of you. I hope you get involved n help your neighbors and future residents

Not always.
In the city of Walla Walla you can raise rabbits or chickens but no roosters. In most cities you can raise pets... define pet.
I've got a pet elephant or camel or tyrannosaurus. OK, most places restrict dangerous animals.

A friend called & ask if I wanted a roaster for the farm, I said I would take it. I did not need another roaster, but he could not keep it in town, with the hens.

Back