We added Rabbits and a goat...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piebald9

Friend
Neighbor
With a few more to come soon!

We now have two Silver Fox rabbit does and a doeling Nubian/Boer-Alpine cross. We are trying to get an Alpine doeling and two Nubian does as well.

I sold my riding horse since I can’t ride anymore and hubby doesn’t. Replacing him on the farm with the goats and hopefully in the next few years sheep too! We still have a pony and our small flock of Speckled Sussex chickens.

other hopeful future additions are turkeys and quail as well as an aquaculture greenhouse.

one foot in front of the other though. We are starting with just a few changes.

4687214B-A049-47B5-8FA6-533F1AB1326E.jpeg

“Fission” our first new goat. We had goats years ago but it’s been a minute. Sire is Nubian/Boer. Dam is Alpine.

44BD10BF-F938-441C-9BF1-6E34FC23F5AC.jpeg

Willow Tree Homestead’s Roxanne
8 week old Black Silver Fox doe
3C45B73C-6079-4F8D-94DF-E63CC97BA5DE.jpeg

Willow Tree Homestead’s Sweet Caroline
8 week old Blue Silver Fox junior doe

Attachments

• 69E68562-136A-4200-BEA7-DFCF6DC02EEA.jpeg
    69E68562-136A-4200-BEA7-DFCF6DC02EEA.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13
Looks good, compost for the garden.

There is plenty of water up here but this year we had less rain than is desirable for the first part of the growing season. Crops and gardens aren’t looking too great.

On top of it all we left our plants in pots a month longer than we wanted because the dirt wasn’t allowed to be moved for delivery all spring and we needed to fill new raised beds. We’ve had about 3 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, exactly 5 grape tomatoes, and a few leafs of lettuce out of the garden. Not exactly the harvest we had initially hoped for this year but we will get a few more things and we are better started for next year to get an earlier jump now that the beds are going good.

The town water here is awful out of the big lake (Ontario), and this area has laws against people diverting, pumping, or using water from any of the natural waterways. If the country ever fell into total crisis though, there is a stream at the back of the property that could be used for water.

There is plenty of water up here but this year we had less rain than is desirable for the first part of the growing season. Crops and gardens aren’t looking too great.

On top of it all we left our plants in pots a month longer than we wanted because the dirt wasn’t allowed to be moved for delivery all spring and we needed to fill new raised beds. We’ve had about 3 handfuls of cherry tomatoes, exactly 5 grape tomatoes, and a few leafs of lettuce out of the garden. Not exactly the harvest we had initially hoped for this year but we will get a few more things and we are better started for next year to get an earlier jump now that the beds are going good.

The town water here is awful out of the big lake (Ontario), and this area has laws against people diverting, pumping, or using water from any of the natural waterways. If the country ever fell into total crisis though, there is a stream at the back of the property that could be used for water.

Thats is basically what I was talkingabout, in a shtf situation from what little I know about upstate NY there are lots of streams,snow melts?:dunno:.

Our kids had Nigerian dwarf goats. Great pets and I miss them. We restarted our rabbitry again and have 3 black New Zealand does n one Californian buck. And a stray, satin i think, showed up this spring. Looks like a drop off. After isolating her for 3 weeks I bred her to our Californian buck. Should be some beautiful kits.
I expect to get over 250 pounds of meat put up per year out of the 4 origina20210609_082920.jpg20210608_093212.jpgl rabbits. If I don't sell any.

Extra buckling for sure, Frodo. Does though are for milk and making babies. Added bonus of brush management.
[/QUOTE
Do you milk cheese & soap, too.

Latest posts

Back