We are eating GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh! I have helped sell too many of them. I am going to get set up with some cash to give to the scouts I see who are set up outside of grocery stores, so that I can help them, and not buy and eat so many cookies!

Nope, not until they come to my door, knock, give the pitch , take my orrder and deliver to my door.

Been years , they camp outside a store instead of putting in some work to sell the cookies.

Same with the whatever scouts popcorn.

Last edited:
Nope, not until they come to my door, knock, give the pitch , take my orrder and deliver to my door.

Been years , they camp outside a store instead of putting in some work to sell the cookies.

Same with the whatever scouts popcorn.
The other thing that I have experienced is all the parents who take them to work and get orders. We trudged for blocks, knocking on doors to get orders, and then deliver them. We did set up outside stores as well.
What I think is the real shame is that girl scouts get so little of each sale. I don't remember exactly but maybe a quarter per box sold.

My daughter's troop sold cookies for 10 years to earn money to go to Mexico for a service project. They also did lots of car washes.

"
All of the revenue earned from cookie activities—every penny after paying the baker—stays with the local Girl Scout council. Each council determines its own revenue structure depending on its cookie cost, local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating troops and groups. On average, Girl Scout council net revenue is approximately 65–75 percent of the local retail price, and the amount that is shared with participating Girl Scout troops and groups, referred to as troop proceeds, is approximately 10–20 percent of the local retail price. Cookie program revenue is a critical source of funding for local Girl Scout councils, and it is often what makes it possible to serve girls in hard-to-serve areas, and maintain camps and properties.

Girl Scout troops and groups must pool their proceeds to pay for program supplies, activities, and group travel. Girl Scouts may not earn proceeds as individuals; however, Girl Scout councils offer a wide variety of recognition items, program- and store-related credits, and travel experiences that girls are eligible to earn individually based on their sales. All troop proceeds and other rewards earned through participation in the Girl Scout Cookie Program must be used to enhance each girl’s Girl Scout experience."

Good to know! I gotta get some thin mints and caramel delights and whatever else they might have.

We still have two boxes from last year.

The only way you have two boxes from last year is if your wife buried them in the freezer and hid them from you. Ours don't last two minutes. Girls Scout cookies fall into one of my life rules. If the package isn't resealable it is a single serving. 😋

My wife and I aren't big sweet eaters. Now that I have cut way back on carbs the only reason to buy GSC is to support the kids.
The big issue I have with the cookies is the price and how little the girls make from each box.
The troop get around 80 cents per box.
Maybe I'll see if I can just give them cash.
How Much Do Girl Scouts Make on Cookie Sales?

My wife and I aren't big sweet eaters. Now that I have cut way back on carbs the only reason to buy GSC is to support the kids.
The big issue I have with the cookies is the price and how little the girls make from each box.
The troop get around 80 cents per box.
Maybe I'll see if I can just give them cash.
How Much Do Girl Scouts Make on Cookie Sales?
Do they really get that much? I don't remember that. The local agency gets a cut of that money.

https://copykat.com/girl-scout-samo...58Q-F9XlMMIGvePp-ZthpuGHdasPsMG1Vn5QrWWjb8r6k

Ingredients​

Cookies​

• ▢2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ▢¼ teaspoon baking powder
  • ▢1 teaspoon salt
  • ▢2 sticks unsalted butter softened at room temperature
  • ▢½ cup granulated sugar
  • ▢½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ▢2 tablespoons half and half

Topping​

• ▢1 14-ounce bag shredded sweetened coconut flakes
  • ▢3 10-ounce bags caramels
  • ▢½ cup evaporated milk
  • ▢1 cup dark chocolate melting wafers
  • ▢1 tablespoon vegetable oil or shortening

Instructions​

Cookies​

• Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt with a fork. Mix well and set aside.
  • In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand or stand mixer. Mix until smooth and fully combined.
  • Add vanilla and half and half. Mix again until smooth.
  • Add flour mixture, half at a time, and mix until fully combined and dough-like. It will be thick.
  • Remove dough from the bowl and place it on the baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your hands, flatten the dough onto the baking sheet pressing downward.
  • Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about ¼ - ½ inch thick.
  • Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill the dough for 1 hour.
  • When the chilling time is complete, proceed with cutting your dough. Remove the cookie dough from the baking sheet and use a 2½ or 3-inch cookie cutter to cut rounds out from the dough.
  • Use a 1-inch round cookie cutter to cut the center out of each round.
  • Line the baking sheet with a fresh piece of parchment paper.
  • Place the cutouts on the baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown.
  • Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on the pan. Keep the oven on.
  • Place coconut on a separate baking sheet, spread it out evenly.
  • Bake the coconut to bake for 8 to 12 minutes, checking and stirring often. Bake until the coconut is golden brown. Be sure to check often near the end of the bake time, as coconut burns quickly! When done, remove it from the oven and set aside.
  • When the cookies have cooled completely, begin preparing your caramel.

Topping​

• Add unwrapped caramels and evaporated milk to a large non-stick skillet over low-medium heat. Using a silicone spatula, stir caramel occasionally until they begin to break down and become smooth.
  • Remove about ½ cup of caramel sauce from the skillet and reduce heat to simmer/low.
  • Spoon out caramel sauce over the tops of the cookies, spreading gently. This layer of caramel will act as “glue” for the caramel and coconut mixture.
  • Add the toasted coconut flakes to the skillet with the remaining caramel and mix using a rubber spatula until fully combined. Remove from heat.
  • Using a spoon or your fingers, add the caramel and coconut mixture onto the caramel ring. Do this for each cookie, working one at a time.
  • When all of the cookies have the caramel and coconut layer added, place the baking sheet inside the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  • Near the end of the chill time, begin to prepare your melting chocolate.
  • Add the chocolate wafers to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute.
  • When done, stir well and add the vegetable oil. Microwave on 50% powder for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is silky smooth.
  • Using two forks or dipping tools, lower the bottom of each cookie into the melted chocolate, coating until where the caramel and coconut begin.
  • When done, place the dipped cookie back on the baking sheet. Repeat this process one cookie at a time.
  • Add the remaining melted chocolate to a piping bag with a small round attachment. Pipe small chocolate lines back and forth over each cookie.
  • Place baking sheet back into the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour before serving.

Recipe Tips​

You will have leftover caramel/coconut mixture and chocolate mixture.

Cookie Cutting Tip:You can use various shaped cookie cutters for this recipe. However, you want to make the ring thickness about 1-inch. This will be best for applying the caramel and coconut.

Cookie Texture:Once the cookies are at room temperature, they should be able to stand up on their own, without folding over. The cookies will be firm on the outside and soft, chewy and moist on the inside.

These can get a little sloppy to make with the caramel but not as long as you're neat.

You don’t need to spoon too much caramel out onto the shortbread cookie. Use your spoon to spread the caramel around evenly.

Don’t let too much time go by between adding the caramel and adding the coconut mixture.

Using your fingers to add the coconut mixer onto the caramel and cookie is easiest. The coconut and caramel mixture is malleable and you will be able to form the mixture where it needs to be, but using your fingers is absolutely the best bet. If you do, wash your hands every few cookies for best results.

After the cookies have chilled with the caramel and coconut mixture on for a few minutes, you can also use your hands to shape the top even more.

If you do not have a piping bag, use a small zip-top bag with a tiny hole in the corner (a very small hole, perhaps poke with a toothpick).You may need to break off any excess chocolate from the piping process.

https://copykat.com/girl-scout-thin-mints/

Girl Scout Thin Mints​

Ingredients​

Cookies​

• ▢2 cups all-purpose flour
  • ▢½ cup cocoa powder
  • ▢1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ▢½ teaspoon salt
  • ▢1 cup unsalted butter softened at room temperature
  • ▢1 cup sugar
  • ▢1 large egg
  • ▢1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ▢¼ teaspoon peppermint extract

Topping​

• ▢10 ounces dark chocolate melting wafers
  • ▢1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable oil
  • ▢½ teaspoon peppermint extract

Instructions​

Cookies​

• Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt with a fork. Mix well and set aside.
  • In a separate mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar using an electric hand or stand mixer. Mix until smooth and fully combined.
  • Add egg, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Mix again until smooth.
  • Add flour mixture in, half at a time, and mix until fully combined and dough-like. It will be thick.
  • Remove dough from the bowl and place on the baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your hands, flatten the dough onto the baking sheet pressing downward.
  • Use a rolling pin to smooth and roll out the dough to about ¼ - ½ inch thick.
  • Place the baking sheet in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
  • When chill time is complete, begin cutting your dough.
  • Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut rounds from dough.
  • Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • Place cookie dough rounds on the prepared baking sheets at least 2-inches apart. Do this until your baking sheet fills up.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
  • When done, cool the cookies on the pan to room temperature.
  • When your cookies have completely cooled, prepare the chocolate topping.

Topping​

• Add the chocolate wafers to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute. When done, stir well and add the vegetable oil and peppermint extract. Microwave on 50% power for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is silky smooth.
  • Using two forks or dipping tools, dip each cookie into the melted chocolate, covering it completely before placing it back on the baking sheet.
  • Repeat this process, working one cookie at a time. When all cookies are covered in chocolate, place them back in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.

Recipe Tips​

Be sure to use dark chocolate melting wafers and not milk chocolate.

Keep the cookies stored in the refrigerator.

Cookie Texture:Once the cookies are at room temperature, they should be able to stand up on their own, without folding over. The cookies will be firm on the outside and soft, chewy, and moist on the inside.

These cookies will remain pretty thin while cooking. You don’t want to make these very thick as thin mints are traditionally ½-inch thick

These cookies should not spread much while baking.

These cookies have the perfect amount of peppermint flavor! They are truly so tasty. However, you can increase the amount. I do not recommend adding more than ½ teaspoon to the batter.
Presentation Tip: if you’re serving these cookies to a crowd, garnish with mint leaves for a wow effect.

Latest posts

Back