We love Classical Music!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bolero and the 1812 Overture are well known pieces of music.

It was after college that I listened to more classical music. A grocery store was running a special on a collection of classical CD's at some point and I bought all of them. I would listen to one over and over and then get the next one. It was great music to play in the classroom. There was a Suzuki violin program in one of the schools that I taught in, and more than half of my students played the violin.

The thing about classical music is that we all hear it often, as I said earlier, either in movies, television shows, and even commercials. We may not know the name, or hear the whole piece, but we recognize parts of many pieces. The house I sat in last week keeps a radio on 24/7 with classical music playing quietly. You cannot hear it from the bedrooms and it does not compete with the television or other stuff, but if you are quiet, you can identify some of the music. This is done to keep the dog and cat company when they are home alone.
Once upon a time, I liked Bolero. Then the only classical station at the place I worked played it almost daily. It’s a repetitive piece (even said the composer) so I got to where I’d turn it way down when they played it.

Another common but pretty piece is Canon in D on violin.

Once upon a time, I liked Bolero. Then the only classical station at the place I worked played it almost daily. It’s a repetitive piece (even said the composer) so I got to where I’d turn it way down when they played it.

Another common but pretty piece is Canon in D on violin.
Pachelbel's Canon is very common, but beautiful. It is often used in weddings. Did you see Haertig's post about it at various levels of difficulty on the piano?

Pachelbel's Canon is very common, but beautiful. It is often used in weddings. Did you see Haertig's post about it at various levels of difficulty on the piano?
Oops - didn’t read the whole post, thought it was all Liszt (which is good!). I will admit and forewarn, I love music and remember it, but spelling the names of the composers isn’t my forte.

Barber's Adagio for strings is moving and groundbreaking.
If you watch the bows on the violins, he wrote it so they are intentionally out of sync with each other.
This allows the music to flow continuously, uninterrupted for much longer than a single instrument can play.
Each player is not playing from the same sheet of music.

Hopefully, one day, people will be able to hear the whole piece without seeing scenes of Platoon in their head. :(

Awesome acoustics in that place. Would have been amazing to be there.

Oops - didn’t read the whole post, thought it was all Liszt (which is good!). I will admit and forewarn, I love music and remember it, but spelling the names of the composers isn’t my forte.
I cheat.
Or it comes out looking like this:
Have you ever heard this piece by Chicofsky Tchicofski Tychofsky Tchaicofski Tchaikofsci, awhell you know, the guy that wrote the 1812 overture :rolleyes:.
I was a big fan of Tchaikosky by the time I was a teenager.
The one thing you could always count on, in every piece of his music, somewhere in each piece, he would have every single instrument in the orchestra playing wide-open at the same time.
He did 'loud-music' before it was even cool.:D

I cheat.
Have you ever heard this piece by Chicofsky Tchicofski Tychofsky Tchaicofski Tchaikofsci, awhell you know, the guy that wrote the 1812 overture :rolleyes:.
The one thing you could always count on, in every piece of his music, somewhere in each piece, he would have every single instrument in the orchestra playing wide-open at the same time.
I always said he composed very passionate music. Rachmaninoff = romantic. Vivaldi = natural. Beethoven = dramatic etc

I cheat.
There is a piece of music that many recognize from 4th of July events. I was in Washington, DC on the mall one 4th for such an event.

There is a piece of music that many recognize from 4th of July events. I was in Washington, DC on the mall one 4th for such an event.
The last 2 minutes was loud, weren't it? :D ;):thumbs:
That's my guy!
mosh.gif

Who knew that classical music was so much fun, and not stuffy?
And most people have no idea of the scope of it either.
It's all thru cartoons, old movies, and much more stuff than people realize.
Just watch the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
I trace my love for classical back to my mom.
When she had 4 restless kids to put down for an afternoon nap, she would put one of her 78's on the record player.
I don't remember much after that, but I do know that this one was one of her 'go-to' platters:

Today it is found on 8hr and 12hr loop youtube-vids for kids.
Probably where they coined the term 'induced-coma' :)

I love every single composer mentioned, and all of the music. I will cast a vote for Rossini. How many have listened to the entire piece? A little long, but this may be my all time favorite. Much if his music has been in films.

And most people have no idea of the scope of it either.
It's all thru cartoons, old movies, and much more stuff than people realize.
Just watch the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
I trace my love for classical back to my mom.
When she had 4 restless kids to put down for an afternoon nap, she would put one of her 78's on the record player.
I don't remember much after that, but I do know that this one was one of her 'go-to' platters:

Today it is found on 8hr and 12hr loop youtube-vids for kids.
Probably where they coined the term 'induced-coma' :)
One of the great things about the internet and especially YouTube is that you can find almost any composer and their works, and often with a few varieties of recordings.
I was thinking of the Sorcerer's Apprentice. I've seen it a few times. It was in theatres in the last 10 to 15 years ago, and we went to see it in a new theatre with one of the best sound systems.

I love every single composer mentioned, and all of the music. I will cast a vote for Rossini. How many have listened to the entire piece? A little long, but this may be my all time favorite. Much if his music has been in films.

Six minutes in, one of the most recognized parts starts that has been used many times in cartoons and more, Ranz de Vaches, something of cows, and then 6:45, another well known part, the Finale, great for a chase scene. You can also research each piece on Wikipedia has list of all the places the piece has been used.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tell_Overture

It was Rossini's Barber of Seville that was the theme song for the movie Breaking Away circa 1979.

, another well known part, the Finale, great for a chase scene. You can also research each piece on Wikipedia has list of all the places the piece has been used.
I definitely remember the first part of the finale being the theme song for The Lone Ranger!
It always got us kids fired-up! We already had our cap-pistols strapped on :thumbs: .
...Back when television was great.:)

I had forgotten that was the theme song for the Lone Ranger! Was all of America watching Westerns then?
Yep.
Back before 'embracing your masculinity' became taboo. :(
Today, we live in a world of wussies.

On topic: Tell your husband to wear his nice dress for this one :rolleyes: :

Pretty piece of music. You can almost see the fairies dancing around.

Last edited:
I had forgotten that was the theme song for the Lone Ranger! Was all of America watching Westerns then?

Long before then. The Lone Ranger and was on the radio for 15 years before the TV show. It still has to be one of the best theme songs ever.

Here you go BKT. Another one from Joel Hastings. Beautifully done.

Yep.
Back before 'embracing your masculinity' became taboo. :(
Today, we live in a world of wussies.

On topic: Tell your husband to wear his nice dress for this one :rolleyes: :

Pretty piece of music. You can almost see the fairies dancing around.

Such a beautiful song!
I learned recently that young women needed their parent's permission to dance the waltz.
"The waltz
As the dance started gaining popularity, it was criticised on moral grounds due to its close-hold stance and fast turning movements. Religious leaders regarded it as vulgar and sinful. The dance was criticised to the point where people were threatened with death from waltzing. May 20, 2018

Viennese waltz: a scandalous dance that became a Viennese ...

. Religious leaders regarded it as vulgar and sinful. The dance was criticised to the point where people were threatened with death from waltzing. May 20, 2018
Vulgar and sinful. :rolleyes:
lol.gif

Fortunately today, it is perfectly ok for a grown man to dress up as a woman, and dance the waltz with another man, that's normal!
On topic: I got nothing. I'm going have to do some serious digging to find some transgender classical music:(.

Vulgar and sinful. :rolleyes:View attachment 59891
Fortunately today, it is perfectly ok for a grown man to dress up as a woman, and dance with another man, that's normal!
On topic: I got nothing. I'm going have to do some serious digging to find some transgender classical music:(.
LOL!
I don't know about you, but when a grown man dresses up as a woman and dances with another man, I call that entertainment! LOL!
There is a King Sooper's store in Denver that is affectionately called Queen Soopers because the neighborhood used to be where many gays lived. I had company, a married couple, from North Dakota. I told them about the store, so they wanted to go there. Not so close to me, but entertaining, so lets go. We went in and were looking at ice cream. The man in this couple is a clown, and as we were looking in a cooler at ice cream, he started acting all silly, and I don't really think he was even thinking of being swishy for the other customers. I got the giggles and couldn't stop! I was crying, knowing that there my friend was, acting so goofy, while all around us were a bunch of guys who were probably tuned in for another reason. Good times!

So when we got our laptops, we earned Dell bonus points - who knew? So I ordered a Bose speaker with the points since the sound on my laptop is "subpar." Hubby's laptop is much higher end because he is working on learning autocad on it it. Mine is pretty basic. Anyhoo, just received it this evening and listened to a handful of songs and oh my - it's beautiful!

Here is one I wish I could play. Alas, it is past my skill level. Another nice Schubert melody that Liszt took and made almost impossible to play. That Liszt - he was such a show off! He went from impossible to super impossible to play at the 3:02 mark.

You can just hear the horse cantering and galloping along in this piece. So well done. I just love the ending when the horse finally slows down to a stop.

A little early for Halloween, but this is still a magnificent piece in a magnificent venue,

I am loving this little speaker! Did you know Nat King Cole AND his piano were singing to me from my kitchen this morning? They were. I'm pretty sure! Renee Fleming stopped by to sing the Flower Duet to me also. I have some amazing company!
Nat King Cole was the first African American person I was aware of as a child. Where I grew up, there were none. The first A.A. person I saw in person was on a bus when I was 9 years old.

Nat King Cole was the first African American person I was aware of as a child. Where I grew up, there were none. The first A.A. person I saw in person was on a bus when I was 9 years old.
We were sheltered also. When I was about 4 years old, a friend of my parents came to the door and asked if my parents were home. I turned around and hollered that there was some lady with a beard here to see them. I had never seen a man with long hair. 😂

I grew up in the southern end of the CD in Seattle (Central District). It felt normal to me. It wasn't until my late teens that I found out there were people of color who thought I didn't like them.

Latest posts

Back