We love Classical Music!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My upbringing was pretty diverse. By the time I was 10 I had run into every race somewhere along the line, be it neighborhood, school, or sports.

My upbringing was pretty diverse. By the time I was 10 I had run into every race somewhere along the line, be it neighborhood, school, or sports.
My only experience outside of white people, were Native Americans, Indians. My grandparents who had a ranch attended a Catholic church that was a Native American Church, actually a mission church of another Catholic church in the county. The sermon was given first in Lakota, then in English. From their connections at that church, they hired men who came and helped with field work in the summer. They all sat for lunch (called dinner!) at the table, or sometimes we took food to all the men in the field.
But my grandmother was terrified of Indians. There were and are all kinds of stories of them stealing children. They were known to steal tools and whatever they could. If we were out and about, Grandma would not speak to them or acknowledge them.

One of my best friends in college was half Mandan Sioux, who spent much of her childhood in Cannonball, North Dakota, where all the world focused on the protest of the building of a pipeline. Cannonball is probably like many communities on reservations with extreme poverty, children being raised by relatives other than their parents, addictions running rampant, and a high rate of suicide due to the hopelessness of the situation. Friend has a Master's degree, largely paid for with tribal money. Her parents were hardworking people with more interest in God and church than alcohol and drugs.

My piano teacher would kill you for saying that. She'd point out, "It's a piece, not a song." She about kicked me off the piano bench one time when she asked what I was going to play at the recital, and I said, "The Debussy song".
I suppose that some people get really stuck in certain terminology.

@Haertig, This is called Four last Songs. Hmmmm

A man I know, son of a friend of mine, won a Grammy a few years ago for some recording he and two others did. Today, he posts that he has a reel to reel of this, one of his favorites. I had to listen to it. Really not sure why it is a favorite of his. If you do not like opera, this is not the recording for you. But, I had to listen to see if it grew on me. It didn't.

A man I know, son of a friend of mine, won a Grammy a few years ago for some recording he and two others did. Today, he posts that he has a reel to reel of this, one of his favorites. I had to listen to it. Really not sure why it is a favorite of his. If you do not like opera, this is not the recording for you. But, I had to listen to see if it grew on me. It didn't.

That's beautiful! She has great tone and control - a clean voice.

Okay Weedy, really! Thank you for posting that. I've listened to it twice now. I'd not heard of her. What a voice. Have to look up more of her tunes, ummm, songs, ummm, pieces 😂

I've never been a fan of opera. I can't tell you why, since I like classical music. The closest I've gotten to enjoying something that is operatic in style are some of Charlotte Church's Christmas performances when she was very young (only 14 years old when the ones below were recorded!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeVc03rBpYU

Last edited:
@Weedygarden I think it was on one of the other music threads, but I love that song you posted by "The Sons of the 3 Tenors." Figured out they are no relation to the 3 tenors but are a trio "Il Volo." I love their sound and am glad to figure it out but it would have been cool if they were sons. LP didn't even have any sons - 5 daughters! Just thought you might find that interesting.

@Weedygarden I think it was on one of the other music threads, but I love that song you posted by "The Sons of the 3 Tenors." Figured out they are no relation to the 3 tenors but are a trio "Il Volo." I love their sound and am glad to figure it out but it would have been cool if they were sons. LP didn't even have any sons - 5 daughters! Just thought you might find that interesting.
Wow, that is interesting!

This is them, but a different song.

No Pavarotti did not have any sons, only had 4 daughters, according to his biography on Wikipedia. Luciano Pavarotti - Wikipedia

This is the same video I shared in the other thread.

I love this song! I had to drive home and start supper before I could listen. Wanted to hear on a real speaker so I could hear it. Their voices have matured. I like their sound. Now I have to binge listen and hear more 😂 I love new to me music - thank you for introducing them to me.

I love this song! I had to drive home and start supper before I could listen. Wanted to hear on a real speaker so I could hear it. Their voices have matured. I like their sound. Now I have to binge listen and hear more 😂 I love new to me music - thank you for introducing them to me.
You're welcome. It came up for me on Facebook, that place that some think is so terrible. I know I love to listen to this kind of stuff. It is uplifting.

@Weedygarden Have you heard of this fella? I just heard him today ~ a rich voice.

This is just a 30 second trailer/ad but I'd have to listen to more to pick a song to post & hubby doesn't care for opera so will wait for another time to do that.

I actually thought it was about as realistic as any movie made about Nam. I'm a war movie buff, don't much matter which war it was. I thought it was pretty good. Like all movies had a lot of BS in it. But there was a good element of truth in it.

I can't watch most of them,I fast forded 'Saving Private Ryan' thru the first 30 minutes. But I have seen most of Apocalypse Now and Platoon years ago holding my ears and closing my eyes,lol.Hubby use to watch some of them but now he can't take it either. I think the older you get the less you can stand,

I have one clssic album of Johann Strauss.

I can't watch most of them,I fast forded 'Saving Private Ryan' thru the first 30 minutes. But I have seen most of Apocalypse Now and Platoon years ago holding my ears and closing my eyes,lol.Hubby use to watch some of them but now he can't take it either. I think the older you get the less you can stand,

I have one clssic album of Johann Strauss.
If you only have 1, then that's a good one to have :)

And most people have no idea of the scope of it either.
It's all thru cartoons, old movies, and much more stuff than people realize.
Just watch the Sorcerer's Apprentice.
I trace my love for classical back to my mom.
When she had 4 restless kids to put down for an afternoon nap, she would put one of her 78's on the record player.
I don't remember much after that, but I do know that this one was one of her 'go-to' platters:

Today it is found on 8hr and 12hr loop youtube-vids for kids.
Probably where they coined the term 'induced-coma' :)

Same thing with me only mama played it on her piano and I thought it was beautiful. I loved watching her fingers on the keys. But she played it all not just classical.I wish she would have taught me how to play.

I am a fan! I will try to listen to a bunch of his music this week.

I got to listen to a couple. He doesn't have great annunciation, but I do like his voice. I haven't listened to this one (that you shared) but hubby is sleeping so will have to wait until morning.

I've shared this before in this thread, but by the writer. This is the first recording I heard of this piece of music. I was immediately mesmerized by it.

You seem to be like me, that some music speaks to us or touches us. I still remember the first time I heard it. 1970's. I have this album from the 1970's and I have a CD of it.
Exactly! I saw this movie (and have read the book). It's not particularly "exciting" but I couldn't figure out why I kept wanting to watch it or have it on while I was doing things around the house. I finally figured out it was the music. It's a spendy soundtrack/film score (or at least was when I bought it) but I did and it's still often in my CD player.

Exactly! I saw this movie (and have read the book). It's not particularly "exciting" but I couldn't figure out why I kept wanting to watch it or have it on while I was doing things around the house. I finally figured out it was the music. It's a spendy soundtrack/film score (or at least was when I bought it) but I did and it's still often in my CD player.

I'm listening to it now. Yes, this is the kind of music I like to listen to, peaceful, beautiful, and serene. I have not read the book, but will look for it when I finish all 12 Poldark books. I am on book 2, Demelza. The first book, Ross Poldark, took me a week to read, so we'll see how soon I can get to it. The title sound familiar, but I have no memory of the plot.

I'm listening to it now. Yes, this is the kind of music I like to listen to, peaceful, beautiful, and serene. I have not read the book, but will look for it when I finish all 12 Poldark books. I am on book 2, Demelza. The first book, Ross Poldark, took me a week to read, so we'll see how soon I can get to it. The title sound familiar, but I have no memory of the plot.
The movie is also good - follows the book closer than any other book/movie I've read and seen. (Well, Shakespeare's maybe, but those are actually plays anyways.)

Latest posts

Back