We Love Our Music

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm surprised you noticed the guitar 😂

No offense meant. Seriously I have been a fan of female rockers/musicians since I was young. Here is one from long ago.

There are so few lady rockers over the year some stand out. But while yes some are nice to look at, many are highly talented as well. I appreceiate the range of vocals in some. instrumental talents in others. I surely wasn't just posting eye candy. I think I'll start a new thread of female rockers to share some over the years

I just discovered this performer on Youtube. She's evidently been there for years, but I just discovered her. She arranges her own version of these songs,and IMHO she just nails the spirit of each song she plays. I am partial to the piano sing that's my instrument, but she has a skill that many lack. She can put together the should of an entire band into solo piano. She does very well in the rock genre. I am jealous.

In this Coldplay one below, halfway through the song what she does is super hard. The part where you start bouncing on the notes. That is so hard to do using the same finger. Normally you bounce third-index-thumb-third-index-thumb on the same note. Much easier to keep things even that way (and far less tiring). As the bouncing progresses, eventually she is holding down a finger to play the melody while the one next to it is bouncing - in the same hand! I can't even imagine doing that.

Here are some other ones where she really captures the spirit of the song IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxhMDHQpko8
And she really goes to town on this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff8UwvPK0G4
There are lots more from her on Youtube.

Damn, these Roland digital pianos sound nice. That's what I have. But not the same model as her - her's is a stage piano, mine is a console.

@Peanut Have you heard of these folks?

Yes, first time I heard him play he was a kid,10-12yrs old. I don't know the current group members.

Edit to add... an electric bass has nothing on an upright bass fiddle. You can really hear the bass fiddle on this song. Probably an old "Kay".

Attachments

• Dark as the Night, Blue as the Day.mp4
    3.6 MB
Last edited:
Also, you probably recognize Vince Gill on the one I just posted...

Here is the live version of that recording at the Ryman... The guitar player on the left is Dan Tyminski. Its his voice singing "Man or Constant Sorrow" in the movie "Oh Brother where art Thou?"

Alison Krauss and Union Station since 1994.
MusicTourNewsletterStoreDan TyminskiTyminski Tee

Last edited:
Yes, first time I heard him play he was a kid,10-12yrs old. I don't know the current group members.

Edit to add... an electric bass has nothing on an upright bass fiddle. You can really hear the bass fiddle on this song. Probably an old "Kay".
I like that!
Also, It always amazes me how so many of the 'good' talented artists end up working together. This is in one of my playlists.

I have never heard that song before!!! He played with Allison Krauss for years as part of "Union Station". Nashville is sometimes like a game of musical chairs. Good pickers get stale playing 4 or 5 shows a week, same songs everytime. They move on.

I had a catscan in Nashville. Diagnostics are run on these systems all the time. In those years there was a little secret in Nashville. Great musicains played the summer concert tour. Playing for the big name singers.

Winter is the off season, but those pickers still want to play... On cold winter nights, no tourists in Nashville, no concerts, the best pickers in Nashville would play all the old "hole in the wall" bars in downtown Nashville.

I would start diagnostics on my catscan. Instead of reading a book for the next several hours... I'd hit those bars!!! Now that is the real Nashville sound! INCREDIBLE music!!! Its when Nashville got to come out for fun. They all know each other. It was a blast!

These aren't links, just play and save to your pc... It's two versions of "Man of Constant Sorrow"

Last edited:
OK, so I'm guessing this guy / this 'genre' will likely be 'out of the wheelhouse' of Most folks, here, but.. Man, I Love this Band / Peter Murphy's voice - and This track, in particular..

Just sounds like it would be a track 'in regular rotation on the radio' (if such existed..) in 'Medieval times'.. In particular, the Oboe-like 'shawm' (which was popular in the later 'middle-ages', Iirc.. though, this was Probably 'synth'd) solo, at the end, there..

..Just Love it.. :cool:

..and, heh - I would Totally Love to hear Ann & Nancy Wilson's 'cover' of this song, with Nancy on acoustic / Ann on vocals.. I bet they'd 'knock it Outta the Park'.. 😍

jd

Last edited:
PS... Just in case anyone thinks my tastes (based on the above..) aren't 'seasoned' enough..

😍 Love me some Classics, I do.. 👍

..Though, I gotta say - I still marvel at how 'Dennis', there, was able to - simultaneously - flawlessly re-create Davey's (ya'll remember claymation-classic 'Davey and Goliath', heh..) 'squirrel teeth', rock Johnny Cash's signature black shirt, Davy Crocketts' Frontier-suede, Davy Jones' (Monkees) signature blunderbuss-pants - and - Princess Leia's 'hair danishes' - all in the Same Session.. 😂

jd

Last edited:
Back