We need to talk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mentioned this was for your Bronco, so I assume you'll be doing some off roading. If not this may not be the best. But it is flexible and should survive pretty well. It also has good reviews and rating.

Wilson Flex Antenna

This one is much more rigid, but have been in use for years.

Amazon.com: Firestik KW-3BK 3' Kw Series Cb Antenna - 300 Watts Black : Electronics
Thank you! It's ordered. I had to go measure to see what length I needed. Good thing I did - I would have guessed incorrectly.

Thank you! It's ordered. I had to go measure to see what length I needed. Good thing I did - I would have guessed incorrectly.
I'm confused. Different brands or models might be different lengths, but an antenna for a CB radio will work fine. Some shorter ones might have coils to electrically lengthen the antenna but keep it short for convenience to the driver. Others might be really long whips. What was the reason you wanted a particular length?

I'm confused. Different brands or models might be different lengths, but an antenna for a CB radio will work fine. Some shorter ones might have coils to electrically lengthen the antenna but keep it short for convenience to the driver. Others might be really long whips. What was the reason you wanted a particular length?
It's mounted on the side of the bronco. I didn't want it so long that it would hit things above. If I got a longer antenna, it would stick up way above the top of the rig. Also wanted a stiff one so that it doesn't whip. I'm having the rig repainted and all done up pretty so I don't want anything hitting the vehicle. I'm sure that sounds sissy and might make no sense, but I don't plan on taking it off paved roads unless I have to. I will drive it etc. but after putting so much time and $$$ into it would like to keep it as nice as reasonably possible. The CB doesn't get used much at all, but I still want it "just in case." I will take pix when it's all done.

It's mounted on the side of the bronco. I didn't want it so long that it would hit things above. If I got a longer antenna, it would stick up way above the top of the rig. Also wanted a stiff one so that it doesn't whip. I'm having the rig repainted and all done up pretty so I don't want anything hitting the vehicle. I'm sure that sounds sissy and might make no sense, but I don't plan on taking it off paved roads unless I have to. I will drive it etc. but after putting so much time and $$$ into it would like to keep it as nice as reasonably possible. The CB doesn't get used much at all, but I still want it "just in case." I will take pix when it's all done.
I went with "mag mount" antennae for that reason. I go through a car wash a lot more often than I need a radio, so the CB and antenna are in back, along with an antenna for the 2m/440 rig.

Find someone with an SWR meter and get your antenna tuned, or buy one and do it yourself. It's easy.
They cost about $20 for a cheapy.
I had a meter years ago during the CB craze started by C.W. McCall and boosted by Lady Bird Johnson.
He, because of his song Convoy and her, because she jumped to the head of the line for her CB license while the peons had to wait for months to get theirs. The FCC caught so much flak they had to speed up the process.
I still remember my number and I haven't used it in almost 45 years.
My handle was The Speed Demon because I drove a Dodge Demon really, really fast.

I'd love to see pics of the bronco before and after. What year is it?. I loved those 60s and 70s models that are hard to find now and cost an arm and a leg if you do

Find someone with an SWR meter and get your antenna tuned, or buy one and do it yourself. It's easy.
They cost about $20 for a cheapy.
I had a meter years ago during the CB craze started by C.W. McCall and boosted by Lady Bird Johnson.
He, because of his song Convoy and her, because she jumped to the head of the line for her CB license while the peons had to wait for months to get theirs. The FCC caught so much flak they had to speed up the process.
I still remember my number and I haven't used it in almost 45 years.
My handle was The Speed Demon because I drove a Dodge Demon really, really fast.

Stop, I'm getting all nostalgic now. I had a CJ5 with 4wd :p 102 inch whip, spring and ball mount on the back left fender. Big Midland 23channel SSB . 232 straight 6, 1 barrel carb.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back