Weaning Determination

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Weaning can be so traumatizing for babies. It’s a necessary part of a cow calf opporation.
As I sit here and watch the stragglers going back into the herd after weaning (fluke year) I have to sit and chuckle at certain calves determination.
We have a cow that lost her first calf and being a pet (yes I admit she a pet just don’t tell hubby) I found her a needy newborn. Got lucky and found bwf (Black white face) heifer. Well it turned into a match made in heaven which has been really rewarding.
Had to wean her a tad earlier than we normally do since feed was a bit thin and mom was getting sucked down more than I like. We normally are done months ago.
Our normal procedure anymore is a weaning flap for 3-4 day’s then fence wean for a month or two depending on the determination of the cows and calves. Has worked very well. Very low stress with minor bowling. Usually not much at all.
We’re at 6 weeks for these remaining two stragglers and one could care less. The other, this adopted heifer, well, she’s a stubborn one. Mom is good with the weaning. Her... not so much! That tail is swishing with frustration as she’s following mom around trying so hard to nurse. Mom is pushing her away and trying to loose her amongst the rest of the herd and this heifer is like a professional tracker.
We’re about a half hour in now and she’s starting to get the hint. The true test will be this evening at herd check. I’ve had mom’s re-start lactation. I’d rather avoid that.
It’s the little things :LOL:Just thought I’d share my chuckle.

Last summer we spent 10 days at the family farm, just so happened we arrived on the same day the farm hands weened the cattle. I never heard so much crying in my life. All night long they bellered for their babies. The entire next day and the next night they bellered for their babies. Apparently a couple very aggressive mom's busted through the fence, crossed an open area and got next to where their offspring were penned up. They rounded them up and we had to start all over with the bellering.

Yes! We used to go threw that ourselves. The cows and calves would loose their voices they’d holler so much. We attempted fence weaning and had a lot of destroyed fences over the years.
The weaning flaps we use have been a true miracle. Yes they have to run threw the chute one extra time but man is it worth it!
We run the herd threw and mid season pregnancy check the moms, put the flaps in the calves nose then turn them all back out to pasture. 3-5 days later (usually 3-4 days) we bring them back in and remove the flaps and keep them separated by a good fence. By this point the nose flaps have allowed mom’s and babies to be together and still left the calves unable to nurse. By now the calves figure out they won’t starve to death.
When we separate them they go right too Feed with very minimal calling. Definitely no pacing or anything.
Has allowed for far less weaning stress induced sickness, our sanity from all the crying and higher weigh gains.
The up front cost is really not terrible and other than a few lost a year they are reusable.
I honestly don’t miss the days of crying. Lol

Yes! We used to go threw that ourselves. The cows and calves would loose their voices they’d holler so much. We attempted fence weaning and had a lot of destroyed fences over the years.
The weaning flaps we use have been a true miracle. Yes they have to run threw the chute one extra time but man is it worth it!
We run the herd threw and mid season pregnancy check the moms, put the flaps in the calves nose then turn them all back out to pasture. 3-5 days later (usually 3-4 days) we bring them back in and remove the flaps and keep them separated by a good fence. By this point the nose flaps have allowed mom’s and babies to be together and still left the calves unable to nurse. By now the calves figure out they won’t starve to death.
When we separate them they go right too Feed with very minimal calling. Definitely no pacing or anything.
Has allowed for far less weaning stress induced sickness, our sanity from all the crying and higher weigh gains.
The up front cost is really not terrible and other than a few lost a year they are reusable.
I honestly don’t miss the days of crying. Lol

Okay, I will bite, what is a NOSE FLAP for the calves? Link or picture please.

Okay, I will bite, what is a NOSE FLAP for the calves? Link or picture please.
This is what I found (dad to look myself) part of the article
http://www.angusbeefbulletin.com/extra/2012/10oct12/1012mg_noseflaps.html#.WinpPxmvDqA
Weaning Calves with Nose Flaps
Wyoming producer says process was less stressful
on the calves and him.

by Heather Smith Thomas

There are many ways to wean calves. The ultimate goal is to wean with the least stress — to keep calves healthy and keep them gaining.

1012mg_nose_flap_4-B.jpg
Andy Gray, who grazes 500 cows near Douglas, Wyo., last year tried a new weaning method, using nose flaps on the calves. These plastic flaps can be easily installed with the calves restrained in a chute. Afterward, the calves are returned to their mothers. The flap hangs down over their nose and mouth, preventing the calf from grabbing a teat to nurse. The nose flaps don't hinder eating grass or hay or drinking water.

We found a 2 stage weaning to be quietest, the calves that aren't shipped go back with the all the cows for about a week and a half, this way there is no calf answering a full bagged mother, then the remaining calves, usually heifers are separated, with out the rest of the cow herd making music things quiet down a lot sooner, we usually keep 2 fences between them, but so they can still see each other.

Latest posts

Back