Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had over 3" of rain since yesterday. Haven't went out to take an actual measurement yet. Still pouring down to. We are under a Flood emergency for the entire area until 2:45. Lots of roads closed around the area. I-40 up in the mountains between Koxville and Asheville was closed about 7:30 last night due to a rock slide. Happens there from time to time. Probably won't be reopened for 2-3 weeks while it's cleaned up, and will be down to 1 lane each direction for a month or 2 while they work on stabilsing the slope. Took hours to get the folks that were caught in it turned around and back off the mountain.

We have a low spot behind our house that looks like a large creek. On one side next to our neighbors driveway we now have a pond that 3-4' deep. It's now level with his driveway and spilling over to his real pond. It's been years since I saw that happen. More rain coming thru morning. And possible severe storms later this evening coming out of west Tn/Mississippi. They are under the gun for tornados.

I went out a while ago to take a look around. Water from our side was pouring over the neighbors driveway. His pond was going over the downstream side of his pond. His lives on that side and the water has got his pond to within 1' of topping it. I think there will have to be some work done on them after the water recedes to shore them up again.
I dumped my rain gauge and it ad 4.65" in it over a 36 hour period. The rain has stopped for now.

The "Whac-A-Mole" tornado warnings continue. As soon as one spins up and a warning is declared it spins back down only to have a different storm cloud spin one up. I lost count at 9. There has been more than 10. Hopefully the last line of clouds will move east of me by 11pm and I can relax.

The last line of storms are passing me now. The Dew pt dropped below 68... that means the chance of a tornado went from slim to none. Its a number I always look for on the weather sites. The tornado watch for the state has been canceled, still flash flooding watch in effect.

A "Dew point" of 68 and above and the atmosphere is a tornado breeding ground. Below 68 and they almost never happen.

Prayers for those in the paths of storms and super bomb cyclones if you are in those areas.

Hey, @Sewingcreations15 I just did a little research on our common language barrier (English).

As best I understand what you call a Cyclone, we call a hurricane.

I was surprised to learn Queensland also has tornado’s, albeit rare. In the last 8 years there have been a handful of F3 and F4 tornado’s in Queensland. Anyway, before tonight I didn’t think Australia had tornadoes. Now I know better! :)

For me, I live in the world’s tornado alley. "So! There are a half dozen F4’s on the ground… Where do you guys want to get dinner? " When you live in a bowling alley pins are going to get broken! :D

I read a couple of dozen articles... your media has a weird way of describing tornado’s, at least to my ears. For some reason they call them mini-tornado’s. An F4 is an F4! Where I live an F4 tornado is a mile wide master of death and destruction (1.6km). It might stay on the ground for 100 miles (160km).

My childhood home was destroyed 03apr1974 by an F4. It's still known as the "Super Outbreak". 148 tornadoes occurred in a 24 hour period. 335 people were killed.

@Peanut I hope you have a safe place to shelter when the warnings are placed.

@Patchouli Since 1975... 10 inch cinderblock walls 10ft tall... 3/4 inch rebar in every hollow filled with cement to the top... I feel safe from most small artillery shells, mortars... yawn. Tornado, wake me when it's over. ;)

Yes Australia does have tornadoes and you are right they call them mini tornadoes @Peanut and not sure why the heck that is. In our last rental property we had a mini tornado hit and it was catastrophic enough for me @Peanut. Took down fences, rooves off houses, caused blackouts but did not wipe out any houses completely and our 100 year old rental of solid hardwood was swaying. We were on the covered veranda and watched all of our vegetable patch bar a couple of little areas get ripped out of the gardens entirely or the advanced vegetable patch with the vegetables with their tops completely torn off. In the larger cities more prown to cyclones on the coastal areas they do have community halls and things for cyclone shelters but mostly we are on our own as most houses do not have cyclone bunkers in them here.

Cyclones (hurricanes) are just a milder version of a tornado but on a wider scale of destruction. The cyclones typically cause more widespread damage here in Australia mostly in the coastal areas and typically strike the northern areas of Qld Australia (Tank-Girl territory) on the east coast but do occur in other regions. I went through a cyclone as a child with my grandmother looking after us on the Gold coast and remember it well. That was unusual as is cyclone Oma we currently have around the middle of the east coast as usually they peeter out before reaching there.

Last edited:
Aha I looked up why they called them mini tornadoes here @Peanut and it appears that our tornadoes here in Australia only have a small destruction path rather than the larger versions of tornadoes in the States and other areas. The one I went through at the last property only hit a small area of around a suburban block.

Well lets start with the warnings this morning.
Flood Warning issued Feb. 24 th at 0600 hours till 25 Feb. at 1336 hours.
Minor flooding occurring in low line areas.
Flood stage at is 18.0 feet, but at 0100 hours flood stage was 18.7 feet.
Hopefully will start to drop soon.
28*
Clear
High today will be 30* with a low of 18*
Feels like 17* right now because of wind.
Wind is 16mph WNW( last night had wind advisory).
10 mile visibility
59% humidity
Barometric pressure 30.28 and rising.
Dew point is 16*
I too live in tornado alley.

started out today with temps in the low 30's and rain and ice.
Then the sun came out temps got to 50*. Nice outside
Then the winds came........howling outside right now....HOWLING. Saw on tv weather we have winds with gusts to 40mph. Windchill tonight in the teens
Tomorrow temps in the 40's with wind gusts up to 60mph
Power keeps going out and then on again. PIA

Back