Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 degrees at 2 am. Forecast was for 7 degrees. Temp is still falling.

We had no precipitation in December either, but that has happened before.

Capture+_2018-01-01-05-26-21.png
Capture+_2018-01-01-05-24-02.png

I'm ready to go back to Alabama!

Minus 1 at 8:15 AM.

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Happy New Year! 18* and snowing this morning. Just a dusting but a beautiful way to start the new year.

We are up to +13 F down here in North Alabama. Way too cold, so I'm hoping it kills off bugs for Spring and Summer. This cold has to be good for something.

Cold cant kill em off. As soon as it hits 50 they WILL BE BACK.

Hmmmm..........I detect some New England in there, lol.
Can't believe nobody asked me where that weather forecast was for.
Actually, it's Australia. Middle of summer there.
I've been studying their version of the English language to keep from making mistakes.
Example: When we draw a picture on a napkin, it's a 'doodle'.
That word is their slang term equal to our word for the male body part: **ck.
You don't want to throw that out in front of children or in public.
:eek:

I've been studying their version of the English language to keep from making mistakes.

Well, when you said beeah, it takes me back to Maine. The er is usually replaced phonetically with the ah.

Beeah
Lobstah
Over heeah
Down theaah

etc, etc.

Well, when you said beeah, it takes me back to Maine. The er is usually replaced phonetically with the ah.

Beeah
Lobstah
Over heeah
Down theaah

etc, etc.
Try to put definitions to these common Aussie words without Google:
Arvo:
Chockers:
Esky:
Grommet:
Mozzie:
Root: (a cuss word)
Servo:
Slab: (a word I'll need to use)
Stubbie:
Ute:

(forgive thread hijack)

I can only guess one.

"Ute" - part car / part truck, like an El Camino / Ranchero.

On topic content =
It was -1 degree here at 8:15 AM. I don't remember it being that cold here in a very long time. It is up to 10 degrees now at 12:24 PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try to put definitions to these common Aussie words without Google:
Arvo: Afternoon, is a word they don't use. ie:"We're going over there this arvo."
Chockers: Very full. ie:"Everything was so good at the restaurant I was chockers"
Esky: Ice-chest/cooler. ie:"We loaded some beer in the esky and headed to the beach"
Grommet: Surfer dude. ie:"You should have seen that grommet with tattoos all over him."
Mozzie: Mosquito. ie:"Take some spray, the mozzies are thick down there."
Root: The F-word when used as a verb. ie:"So, did you root her?" This one gets foreigners in trouble a lot. I better not say: "I root for the Crimson Tide" in front of kids.
Servo: Gas station. ie:"We're going to the servo to fill up the car". Gas always refers to flatulence. So if I say "I found a gas station", they hear: 'I found a place to fart'.
Slab: Case of beer. ie:"We picked up some sandwiches and a slab."
Stubbie: 12 oz bottle of beer. ie:"Someone drank all the beer and there was nothing but a few stubbies left."
Ute: Utility vehicle, especially a beater pickup that is driven into the outback. ie:"I could see the ground thru the holes in the floorboard of his ute."

We now resume your regularly scheduled weather report...
:D

On topic content =
It was -1 degree here at 8:15 AM. I don't remember it being that cold here in a very long time. It is up to 10 degrees now at 12:24 PM.
This is Alabama:
WeatherReport.JPG

We aren't used to this crap.
go crazy.gif

If you listen carefully... you can hear the sound of pipes bursting in mobile homes all over the place.
:surrender:

A34C68F6-AA04-4240-9ACB-E311E341BDD1.jpeg

IMPORTANT NOTICE

DUE TO FREEZING TEMPERATURES IN THE SOUTH

CUSTOMERS ARE URGED TO WEAR TWO PAIRS OF PAJAMAS TO WALMART AND SOCKS WITH THEIR SLIPPERS

'Bomb cyclone' to slam East Coast as winter storm with blizzard conditions...

A "bomb cyclone" is set to take aim at the Northeast after dumping snow and ice Wednesday across places that rarely see winter weather, the latest bombardment of frigid weather that's brought freezing temperatures to vast portions of the United States.

The National Weather Service said Wednesday a mix of snow and freezing rain is moving along the East Coast from Florida to North Carolina before rapidly strengthening at sea.

The weather service warned a so-called “bomb cyclone” will bring “blizzard conditions" across portions of eastern New England late Thursday.

"This winter storm is forecast to bring the potential for a mix of freezing rain/sleet/snow from portions of northern Florida to North Carolina, and snowfall northward along portions of the Mid-Atlantic into northern New England," the NWS said in an advisory.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, bombogenesis or bomb cyclone “occurs when a midlatitude cyclone rapidly intensifies, dropping at least 24 millibars over 24 hours. A millibar measures atmospheric pressure."

"This can happen when a cold air mass collides with a warm air mass, such as air over warm ocean waters. The formation of this rapidly strengthening weather system is a process called bombogenesis, which creates what is known as a bomb cyclone,” NOAA said.

The NWS issued a Winter Storm Warning for all of Southeast Georgia, Interstate 10 corridor in Northeast Florida, and portions of the North and South Carolina coasts due to the possibility of ice and snow. The agency warned areas along coastal areas of New Jersey and the Mid-Atlantic could see up to 6 inches of snow, while parts of New England may see over a foot and high winds, prompting a Blizzard Warning.

"The storm will then have explosive strengthening over the Gulf Stream in the Atlantic, bringing hurricane-force winds and blizzard conditions for parts of coastal New England tomorrow," Fox News Senior Meteorologist Janice Dean said Wednesday.

Dean warned Wednesday on "FOX and friends" the storm is going to "almost going to be like a hurricane off shore" once it reaches the Northeast after bringing snow, sleet, and freezing rain across the Southeast.

"A mix of freezing rain, sleet then snow is making travel difficult if not impossible for areas stretching from north Florida to the coastal Carolinas and southeast Virginia," she said.

The icy conditions also were hampering early morning travel in Florida, as authorities were forced to shut a stretch of Interstate 10 east of Tallahassee.

It even snowed briefly in Tallahassee, Fla. for the first time in 28 years, which brought reactions from residents who never see the white stuff.

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal and North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper each declared a state of emergency in their respective states due to the storm system. Airports in South Carolina and Georgia also closed as snow and ice fell along coastal areas.

Several other parts of the U.S. were expected to experience dangerously cold temperatures as well.

The National Weather Service issued wind chill advisories and freeze warnings Tuesday covering a vast area from South Texas to Canada and from Montana through New England. After the storm exits the area, more bitter cold is expected to pour in for the weekend, according to Dean.

"Some areas could see over a foot of snow, and the exact track of this storm is still yet to be determined ,so people should be prepared for possible power outages and several inches of snow along with even cold air with windchills below zero heading into the weekend," Dean said Wednesday. "This will be life-threatening if people are still without power."

The cold weather has already been blamed for at least a dozen deaths as well as freezing a water tower in Iowa and halting ferry service in New York.

Accuweather predicts zero for the high on Saturday. Gonna warm right up into the 20s next week though. Balmy (not barmy, balmy).

Was 35 in SW Missouri today once the sun came out. Had some snow flurries this morning.

22E3FD57-B189-4D17-A81D-BFD29875DEC0.jpeg

EasyCZ....I just noticed your signature. That is an excellent quote. Here is another one:

Ayn Rand, writing in Atlas Shrugged,

When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion — when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing — when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors — when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you — when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice — you may know that your society is doomed.

EasyCZ....I just noticed your signature. That is an excellent quote. Here is another one:

Ayn Rand, writing in Atlas Shrugged,

When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion — when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing — when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors — when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you — when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice — you may know that your society is doomed.
One of my favorite books.

Freezing rain today ......60s Wednesday ......Snow Friday .....We get to pick a day we like, lots of options

Was as low as 28 this morning but a nice recovery coming. Looks a bit cool next week though.
Screenshot_20180107-084922.png
Screenshot_20180107-084847.png
Screenshot_20180106-165119.png

Back