Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@LadyLocust The flooding last Friday night hasn’t occurred in almost 40 years. The system in place works fine, even in hurricanes (katrina just to name one of several).

Last Friday it rained 7 inches but it wasn’t the amount. The rain fell in a very, very unusual pattern. This caused the flooding.

Thanks though… If I’m still around next time I be sure to have flippers! :D

This was this morning. Its supposed to be colder tonight.
Capture+_2019-10-30-08-23-38-1.png

...Current temp, 80.4F at 6:00PM:).
One of you northern guys must have left the door open:rolleyes:.
Woke up to 45 degrees and a stiff 20mph wind out of the north.
What a difference a day makes!gaah

Another disaster averted this morning… Another heavy rain system. 3 inches total yesterday. At about 2am this morning I started seeing another set of large rain bands to the west. I stayed up… 2:45 – 3:30 the lighting show ran.

I saw yet more bands coming but went to bed about 4:30, knew Dad would be by 6. He was up at 5:30… power was off.

The transmission lines to here travel along 20miles of very rural road. By 6:30 19 trees were down, lines on the highway.

I didn’t expect the wind… Dad, bless his heart… old school, “I can drink my coffee in the dark, no need to fire up the generator… (Oh NO!) :eek:

He woke me in a panic at 8:30, water starting to come in, sump pump not running… NO electricity.

I got the generator running, power to the pump.

All is well now. Power crews still cleaning up trees and lines but main power back on here… Disaster averted!

After I went to bed it rained another 2.5 inches, no wonder the wall started to fill.

That’s about 13 inches in the last 7 days… Now it’s turning cold, might freeze by tomorrow night.

I don't really pay too much attention to the weather. As my Mom always said "Whether the weather be cold, or whether the weather be hot, we'll weather the weather no matter the weather, whether we like it or not!" I did have to scrape my Tahoe windows the last 3 mornings in a row so I could drive to work. Another 10-20 degree drop in temps and I may need to dig out a jacket!

Has to be global warming... just ask AOC. After all she is counting down the days until we all perish.
I wonder if she will go all crazy, blame it on Trump, and remind us that it has just been postponed a couple of years.

The weather must have gotten nasty when I finally crashed just before dawn… This is about 100yrds from my shop in the distance, house hiding behind the big oaks… 10ft taller and it’d have gotten my pasture fence.

Unfortunately a neighbor lady did hit this red oak. Thankfully she wasn’t hurt :) but her little car was :(.

It must have been pouring rain when she hit it, no way she wouldn’t have seen it otherwise.

I heard about 20 trees were down along this road to the north and west. No one was going anywhere very fast this morning.

Heard the weather tonight… Freeze warnings until Friday morning.

Tree down (12).jpg

Last edited:
We just came out of the freezer here. Last couple of days were several inches of snow, and low temps around 8 degrees. But today was much warmer. Started out below 20, but I think it probably got to 40 (and sunny). A nice change - not needing a coat. 40 sounds cold to many people, but here, in the sun, I view it as "long sleeve flannel shirt but no coat" weather.

I don't have any weather! It's all gone, no sun, no moon, no stars! it's all black . . . oh, wait I just had my eyes closed, Everything is OK! the stars are up there and the moon is out. It's night time so the sun is underwater in the Pacific swimming to the Atlantic where it will rise tomorrow. I am not going to close my eyes ever again!:good luck::great:

You know we could learn a lot from the weather. It is unpredictable so it's often a surprise and It doesn't care what people say or think about it. It just stays true to itself.

A hard frost here, first big one of the year... What we call a bearded frost because of all the moisture in the ground. It burned off quickly but still cold, temps in the 40's.

Rain totals update
Last 48hrs - 5.57 inches...
Since 24oct - 12.94 inches total... yep! the drought is over! o_O

Last edited:
I put my old thermometer/barometer set outside last night. It says 12°, weather bug says 32°. Darn it. I guess the neighbor was right yesterday.
And we're nowhere near January!:eek:
It's all @Weedygarden's fault.
Everything was just fine until she mentioned the Grand Solar Minimum:rolleyes:.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/grand-solar-minimum.4802/
(Just being a good lib, we must blame someone).
Let me tell you, it's pretty hard to pronounce the words 'global warming' when your teeth are chattering:confused:.

Latest posts

Back