Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got off of here so I wouldn't worry about you guys. Worried anyway.
You've got this.
Besides, when you're still working from home you can stay up all night. The national weather service doesn't always catch every single tornado, like what happened recently somewhere.

Patch its hard not to worry my daughters are in the path of some in N.Ga. tonight,hate when they hit in middle of night. We are stayingin touch.

Anybody here have a twitter account? I just looked at reed timmer's account (he used to be on the weather channel) and he is a tornado chaser.
I didn't know there was severe weather in west TX 2 days ago with "gorilla hail".
So, he was just reporting on the tornado in west Tennessee near Collegedale. I find it hard trying to watch updates on the internet, since I don't have cable tv, etc. but timmer's reporting looks like it has good updates, radar.
Part of being prepared is knowing severe weather outbreak possibilities.

I just checked the radar and the NWS site. I am finally in the clear. Still don't have electricity but the power company recording says it'll be back on in about 30 minutes. We'll see... There were a couple of gallons of fuel left in the can. I went ahead and poured it into the generator tank. I really hope the power comes on soon.

Jim is about to get pounded with bad weather, hope he is awake and watching. @Bacpacker looks like you have several more hours of bad weather on the way.. fingers crossed you and yours are okay.

We.made it thru the storms in good shape. Just some high winds, which are still gusting and over 3" of rain. Chattanooga area had at least 1 tornado touch down. Haven't got reports of injuries or deaths yet. They are better than an hour southwest of us. The storms somewhat fell apart before they got to us, and mostly tracked to our south.

This was only one county away from me
i need a tornado room.
It takes 90 block for a 10' x 8' wall
times 4. 360 block for the walls
concrete roof and floor
It is doable. with a $200.00 investment in a harbor freight mixer
1.6 ton sand
4 yard concrete to fill walls
11 bags mortar
241 linear foot wall ladder

angle iron for door frame and 1/4'' plate for a door cost TBD

ITS RAINING, :lil guy::woo hoo:,we've had lightening, thunder, dark clouds and all the pretences but not a drop of rain for past year to speak of,

Last edited:
Being prepared, always meant for me, That you build to suit the possibilities. In earthquake country that meant walls tied to foundations and rigidity built in the the entire structure. In flood zones you build on high ground or on stilts that keep you above the 100 year water levels. If you are in an area with fire dangers you built a fire barrier between you and the source. You use fire resistant products and have the means to fight the fire. As a last resort you have a choice of evacuation routes. In tornado alley you have a sturdy home with walls attached to the foundation and a roof tied to the walls. You have a shelter, either in the home or outside below grade, to ride out the storm. In areas hit by hurricanes you need flood protection and protection against high winds. You also need an evacuation plan and know how and when to execute it.
In order to be prepared you have to be honest about all the things that you can defend against and build accordingly. If you can't stay put in a disaster you need to have a plan to get away. You need to practice doing everything that may someday save your life. If you don't have a home, you have nothing. No protection against the weather or people who need what they think you might have.

Here we go again! Last Sunday dropped 22 tornadoes on my state. Tomorrow's event is supposed to be worse according to the weatherman. Yes, another Super Cell is on its way!

There will be two rounds. The first is 4am until 11am. I'll be in the "slight risk zone" for tornadoes. Depending on how far north a warm front drifting up from the gulf coast gets. Tornadoes are possible for me... but small ones, EF2 and smaller.

The warm front will continue to drift north throughout the afternoon destabilizing the air mass over my entire state. About 5 pm the tornadoes will start up again... 5 til midnight or so. Pretty much the entire state will be under the gun for monster tornadoes... Oh Goody! Are we having fun yet? April in Alabama, got to love it! 🤪

Here we go again! Last Sunday dropped 22 tornadoes on my state. Tomorrow's event is supposed to be worse according to the weatherman. Yes, another Super Cell is on its way!

There will be two rounds. The first is 4am until 11am. I'll be in the "slight risk zone" for tornadoes. Depending on how far north a warm front drifting up from the gulf coast gets. Tornadoes are possible for me... but small ones, EF2 and smaller.

The warm front will continue to drift north throughout the afternoon destabilizing the air mass over my entire state. About 5 pm the tornadoes will start up again... 5 til midnight or so. Pretty much the entire state will be under the gun for monster tornadoes... Oh Goody! Are we having fun yet? April in Alabama, got to love it! 🤪

I'm sure we don't have to tell you to be careful, stay safe Peanut.

We've had a cold spell last few days (Dogwood Winter). Lows down around freezing. High's in the 50-70's. Today about 60 and breezy. nice weather to work in actually. Just about my favorite. We had .40" rain overnight so I couldn't get in the garden. Nice day on the books for tomorrow and more rain tomorrow night.
After seeing Snappy and Peanut's post, gonna place close attention to the weather forecast tonight. Most of our worst storms come up from the gulf and across Alabama to nail us. I will be paying attention to that.

Supposed to be in the 80s here today. In the 60s right now.
Give updates when you can, those of you in severe or warning areas.
What sources do you use for weather info?
I dont have cable or satellite tv. What do you use when you've lost connection?

What sources do you use for weather info?
I dont have cable or satellite tv. What do you use when you've lost connection?

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/i-need-a-versatile-radio.1466/
1) My new emergency radio came today. It’s smaller than I thought. Its am/fm/sw and weather alert and has a led flashlight on the end. It can charge cell phones and other gadgets.

It has a lithium battery that can be charged via hand crank, a solar panel on the back or by a USB cable attached to a pc or an AC adapter I bought. I also got an extra battery and a SW antenna for it.

radio (2).jpg

I also have...

2) I have two handcranks. I like both, they have good range. Both have a scan function for picking up any broadcast. Both can charge phones or take a charge from any device with a USB port. The green and black scorpion has solar charging which I like. I keep it in my go bag. The white unit I keep in my kitchen.

EMERGENCY RADIO: This emergency radio & LED flashlight receives AM,FM & NOAA weather bands with digital tuner & display. Features a rechargeable lithium battery plus hand crank & solar power options.
RUGGED & MULTIFUNCTIONAL: This compact & rugged unit can easily be stored in a safety kit or tossed in your rucksack. Use it to monitor emergency alerts & charge your USB smartphone or other device.

Radio hcrand eme sm.JPG

Latest posts

Back