Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever wondered why we consistently have dewpoints in the low/mid 70s, which is on par with many tropical spots during the summer, look no further than the seemingly-endless fields of corn within the region. Corn releases tremendous amounts of water into the air every single day. This process, called transpiration, can easily add 5 degrees to the dewpoint over what would otherwise be the case. Dewpoints are typically very high in the midwestern corn belt this time of year as the corn crop matures in the region. This will tend to subside somewhat by mid-August, usually signalling an end to the oppressive dewpoints/humidity for the season.

1595186037807.png

Today it was hot, bright sun, temps about 95, humidity about 80%. The heat index was 105+. When I got home I found that the remnants of TS Marcos had dumped about 1.5 inches of rain yesterday.

Supposed to be hot again tomorrow. The remnants of hurricane Laura will get here sometime "Friday-ish". The weatherman actually used that term tonight, too funny.

Put those devil winds to work. A small version of an old-timey windmill and a storage tank would likely work fine if it only needs to supply water to the garden.
If you don't have that much wind, you won't need that much water and vice-versa.
Yes they still work, and they don't cost that much money:

You may well(pun) find it supplying backup power too for you in the future by charging backup batteries when it's not pumping water.
https://www.farmranchwindmills.com/
This one is 6' dia, 27' tall. There are smaller ones.
Excellent idea, Supervisor. There're a lot of the big wind turbines within 20 miles or so to the east and even more further west towards Boise. I need to find an Aermotor distributor and have a talk with him to see if the wind in my area would make a windmill feasible. Thanks for the tip!

Its 92 and 80% humidity. Nasty hot outside. Garden needs watered but I don't care. Not going out in it.
Was out in it early this morning before it got too bad.
Sun this morning at 6:30 was a red rubber ball ( remember that song ?lol)

Its 92 and 80% humidity. Nasty hot outside. Garden needs watered but I don't care. Not going out in it.

Remember liking the music, and most of the lyrics, but not the sunrise as 'Red Rubber Ball'. My imagination doesn't stretch that far, in that direction.

Great times great music. Went from ' Father Knows Best' to ' Housewives in Drag ' or so painted and pumped up they look like it anyway.:ghostly:' .

Weather, 91 heat index 103. May see high 80s next few days.

82/60, 40% chance of rain! Woohoo! We have had a high in the 90's for about 10 days. We are going to have high's in the 80's for at least a week, with Tuesday predicted to have a high of 75. It has been too hot to get much done outside. I am really hoping to be able to get more work done outside in the next week.

Latest posts

Back