Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heard my first tornado of the day at about 11:15am. I could hear it for about 8 seconds. I could see the effect of the in-flow winds to the funnel for about 30 seconds. Scared the crap out of me! This funnel was close!!!

For an hour I’d been getting straight line winds out of the SWest. Looking out my kitchen window (which faces south) the winds were from my right to left. I could see the trees bending with big gusts.

I happened to be looking out my kitchen window when all of a sudden, the winds flipped 180. I knew the funnel was within a couple of miles, probably less, and I was seeing in-flow winds.

My folks were in town and heard the sirens go off. My satellite tv was going in and out because of very heavy rain but I did hear a tornado warning had been issued after the fact.

As far as I could tell the funnel never touched down. I saw the inflow winds and heard it briefly. I just hope this was my excitement for the day!!!

A couple rain pics, When the window shade makes a waterfall… it’s raining hard. The terraces in the pasture by the house are over flowing. I got 3 inches of rain in a little over an hour. Glad I live on a ridge, no danger from rising water unless it's 300ft deep.

04mat05 raon (2) sm.JPG
04mat05 raon (4) sm.JPG

Last edited:
Heard my first tornado of the day at about 11:15am. I could hear it for about 8 seconds. I could see the effect of the in-flow winds to the funnel for about 30 seconds. Scared the crap out of me! This funnel was close!!!

For an hour I’d been getting straight line winds out of the SWest. Looking out my kitchen window (which faces south) the winds were from my right to left. I could see the trees bending with big gusts.

I happened to be looking out my kitchen window when all of a sudden, the winds flipped 180. I knew the funnel was withing a couple of miles, probably less, and I was seeing in-flow winds.

I made this silly little drawing last year to describe what the wind is doing within a couple of miles of a tornado, in-flow and out-flow winds.

The winds told me that I was between point A and circle T, on the drawing …

My folks were in town and heard the sirens go off. My satellite tv was going in and out because of very heavy rain but I did hear a tornado warning had been issued after the fact.

As far as I could tell the funnel never touched down. I saw the inflow winds and heard it briefly. I just hope this was my excitement for the day!!!

A couple rain pics, When the window shade makes a waterfall… it’s raining hard. The terraces in the pasture by the house are over flowing. I got 3 inches of rain in a little over an hour. Glad I live on a ridge, no danger from rising water unless it's 300ft deep.

View attachment 65594View attachment 65596

View attachment 65597

Glad it missed you Peanut be careful looks like its going to be a season for tornados this spring.

We're 88 high today is 91! Its about to get hot around here. Hubby has hot flashes so it time to guard the AC controls.He turns it to 78 and I come behind him and put it back on 80.

I’m surprised your Hubby has the hot flashes.
My ex wife had them for 8 years! Bad ones. Her face would break out in a total sweat and the a/c would be turned down way more than two degrees. Consider yourself lucky 😄

Meer, yall would freeze at our place. 68 degrees is the hottest it ever gets inhere.

We've had about .75" rain here at the house last 2 days. Some storms around, but none bad so far. We were expecting more storms on later tonight. But the news just said since it has stayed cool, not much chance of anything severe.

I’m surprised your Hubby has the hot flashes.
My ex wife had them for 8 years! Bad ones. Her face would break out in a total sweat and the a/c would be turned down way more than two degrees. Consider yourself lucky 😄

I had hot flashes when menapause but that wasn't too bad for me I was done with it at 55 quite awhile ago. Of course I was joing but keeping house too cool makes it haarder to go outsside plus high energy bill.

Meer, yall would freeze at our place. 68 degrees is the hottest it ever gets inhere.

We've had about .75" rain here at the house last 2 days. Some storms around, but none bad so far. We were expecting more storms on later tonight. But the news just said since it has stayed cool, not much chance of anything severe.

OMGosh BacP,which one of you is the eskimo?We do use fans all over the house and porch. At least the candles don't point downwards anymore.Kids said" look at their candles,its so hot in here they are drooping."

Both of us. I've always been very hot natured. Wife has been some, change of life is part of it too. One minute she is cold, next minute just on fire. We just keep it cold and have ceiling fans running most all the time. Just put on a shirt or sweatshirt. We keep throw blankets on the seats in the living room in case we have visitors.

Well, the squall line has drifted to the southeast of me. The risk of a tornado is pretty much zero here. Still lots of rain off to the west so I'll be manning the sump pump all evening. Had about 5 inches of rain so far today.

I did have a little water come into my bedroom, got 2 area rugs a little soggy. Got to try out my high powered wetvac. It'll suck up single drops of water, glad I made the purchase. It'll pull up water faster than it can seep through the wall.

Well, the squall line has drifted to the southeast of me. The risk of a tornado is pretty much zero here. Still lots of rain off to the west so I'll be manning the sump pump all evening. Had about 5 inches of rain so far today.
5 inches in one day?
What are you trying to do? Qualify for Louisiana citizenship?:LOL:

Rain. Its rained so much I can't get the garden ready to plant
Cold too. 37 this morning
They had snow in the higher elevations yesterday with the rain we had

Hoping next week will be the turning point for warmer weather and less rain

Latest posts

Back