Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cold and raining. But at least its knocking down the stupid pollen. Ugh allergies are getting to me *sniff* lol

I found out why my electricity was off for 11 hours today... Went to town and saw the damage.

At 5 this morning there was some kind of strange micro-burst cloud windy thing. 6 trees went down on the power lines. 2 of those trees were about 3ft in diameter. They were twisted off about 20ft up the trunk. There were dozens of trees down from what looked like straight line winds and a few others twisted off.

Really strange... locally tornadoes travel northeasterly in direction. What ever hit these trees was traveling from the northwest to the southeast... I've never seen that before...

Other than that it rained almost an inch by noon, just over cast after that.

Even better... the severe weather isn't supposed to hit until tomorrow. :(

It is still pretty cool in the mornings and high 40s to low 50s in the afternoon. The soil is starting to warm so planting is just weeks away.

It has been beautiful here. Temps in the 70's and sunshine. Red Bud trees are gorgeous. For two weeks every year they are the most beautiful tree on the planet. After that, not so much.

Supposed to get ugly again with temps dropping back into the 50's. Just hoping it stays dry. This is the time of year we worry about flooding.

We had some wicked storms last night, heavy cloud to ground lightning, heavy rain, wind and enough hail to make it look like it snowed.

This is typical for this part of the country but yesterday it was 90 degrees. Tomorrow morning it is supposed to be 35. Does anybody else get these insane temperature swings. We can have all four seasons in one day.

I looked that up, it corrected my entry and made it "graupel." Never heard that term. thanks

Yep, graupel, musta missed a keystroke, lol.

The weather man believes first big super cell of the season is about 48hrs out. The western half of Bama and the northern 2/3rds of Mississippi is in the bulls eye starting about noon Sunday. If you live or have kinfolk is this area make sure everyone is warned.

It's looking like the weather cocktail is right for large, long lived, tornadoes in repeating waves over a 12 hour period. I'm hoping it isn't but this could be nasty.

So much for the 6ft rule in community storm shelters.

@snappy1 You and yours stay safe. I saw the weather out of Birmingham. Their map didn't go as far south as you... hope you have a shelter close by. I shelter in the house, 3 sides of my tool rm are cinderblock but the holes were poured with cement and reinforced by rebar. We're pretty safe here.

@snappy1 You and yours stay safe. I saw the weather out of Birmingham. Their map didn't go as far south as you... hope you have a shelter close by. I shelter in the house, 3 sides of my tool rm are cinderblock but the holes were poured with cement and reinforced by rebar. We're pretty safe here.

Shelter is about 10 miles away. We will be home. You stay safe (and well) also!

The show is starting after some rain earlier today...

Tornado on the ground crossing into the county adjoining mine. It's following a traditional track for now. Meaning it'll come by my home in an ally between 2 and 10 miles to the south. Heck, it's been a couple of years since I was close enough to hear a tornado, I'm due.

This is the same storm that dumped a tornado in Yazoo City Mississippi earlier in the day.

So, it's about 20 minutes away. I'll probably lose power but when the cloud cover thickens I will lose satellite internet.

Boy that WAS close! The tornado lifted about 2 miles west of me and split into “Sisters”, meaning two tornadoes. They were in the air so there was minimal damage. I lost one small tree at the edge of the yard. The larger sister skirted to the north of me. The smaller sister went right over my house.

It was still daylight so I could watch the tree tops to tell me what was happening. Quick primer/map on what to look for during a tornado… 1st Pic - The tornado is the red circle labeled “T”.

1) With a tornado approaching from the west and you are located just north of the path… The in-flow winds travel for the East to the West. The tree tops will bend to the west. (position A & arrows).

This is what I was seeing as the tornado approached my home. I was still breathing easy.

2) If I was south of a tornado’s path the winds would blow from West to East, position “B”. The tree tops will bend towards the East, out flow winds.

3) If the winds are switching rapidly East to West then West to East and back again it means I am in a tornadoes path, the bull’s eye… It’s time to crap my pants, labeled “C”, in blue.

I was seeing position “A” winds as the tornado approached, no worries. Then suddenly I started seeing “C” winds. The pucker factor definitely went up for about 30 seconds.

For me tornadoes at night are very scary. I can’t see the tree tops to get a good idea what is happening. I can only see tree tops during flashes of lighting. I’d much rather have a close call during the day.

Pic 2 – tree down

Pics 3 & 4. The leaves covering the highway only go 100yrds to the east and 100yrds to the west. That’s how I know for sure the smaller of the sisters went directly over the house.

The storm was moving about 70mph according to the weather man. A few miles to the east, after it past my house, it dropped back to the ground. There was a lot of damage and several injuries. Thankfully I’ve heard of no deaths.

Tornado (1) sm.png
Tornado (3) sm.jpg
Tornado (4) sm.jpg
Tornado (5) sm.jpg

Latest posts

Back