Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The NWS and TWC got caught napping so you won't see much on TV because it will make them look bad.
Nice drone footage of one that 'didn't happen' :rolleyes::
Here's a couple more of 'the one that never happened' that you will never see on TV since they are not close to big cities. Is Newnan Georgia on your map? Not going to be on the next one either :rolleyes: :

Ever heard of Shoal Creek Alabama? It's ok, it doesn't matter, it's not close to a big city:rolleyes::

If one of those was your house, it would matter....but nobody would ever hear or see anything.
There are many others, But Tuscaloosa was SAFE! and that's all we (TWC) care about.:woo hoo:

Anybody heard from @Peanut ?

Last edited:
Update... a lull right now. The storm headed for me lifted, crossed about 6 miles south of me. A cousin heard it. I could hear the ball lighting.

Ball lighting, not an official term, just what I call a phenomenon the happens some times around the core of a tornado. There can be intense lighting. The rumble of thunder does not stop, continuous. Sometime you can see it, hopefully not, hearing it is as close as I want to be.

Big damage today. A super cell long track tornado traveled across the entire state. From just north of Meridian Mississippi, across Alabama, into Georgia near Cherokee county AL. It was on the ground for most of a 200 mile track. This image of the damage is about 2hours old taken just south of Birmingham near Helena.

Minutes ago, 2 tornado warning issued, storms crossing into AL from Mississippi just north of the earlier super cell.

View attachment 62033

Reading this post had me forgetting to BREATHE!!!! :oops:

So glad you're OK. Whew! Six miles away is too close.

Curiosity got the better of me and I spent a few minutes watching and hearing ball lightning on Youtube... yikes!

Lots of rain, flooding,terrible tornados,down south of me, rain today , 5 people died in tornado. I need to build a shelter

I hate to think you're in Alabama without a storm shelter, thats like a game of russian roulette, eventually you are going to lose. I'm in bama also and happen to live in a natural tornado alley. My home and family farm was destroyed april 3rd, 1974. Just in the last 12 years over 20 tornadoes have come within 7 miles of this same farm where I still live. I have a lot of experience building storm shelters, helping neighbors do so.

There are a lot of shelter plans and guides on the internet. The basic designs are pretty simple. If you hire someone to build a small one it's in the neighborhood of $5000. It can be done a lot cheaper if you have good contacts and are able to do most of the work yourself. One can be built for around $1000.

Its a big plus if it's hilly where you live. Do you know any loggers? Brick masons or concrete guys? Contractors who build homes? Scrap lumber left over from a home build can be had for almost nothing, pieces of 2x8 or 2x10s 3-5ft long. If you have a trailer and can pick it up. The same for cinder blocks... or scrap logs sections from a loading ground. If you need suggestions or ideas message me. I used to earn my living by thinking outside the box, coming up with novel solutions to problems.

Edit to add... I have a pile of scrap cinder blocks left over from the '74 tornado. Anytime I need some blocks I just chip off the old mortar and they are like new. Check around your area where demolition of buildings or houses have been done. If you have a trailer you can usually haul it away for free.

Blocks (5).jpg

Last edited:
On the 18th a near record 24 tornadoes touched down in the north central alabama, that's just one late afternoon and evening.

Then I had another eventful week... Tuesday night (23rd) I lost power for about 6 hours. Then Thursday we had another big tornado outbreak, 5 dead.

My power went off last night while I was eating supper. It was still light out so I fired up the generator and got everything plugged in. Finally came back on around 9:30pm.

I had just gotten my late evening snack about midnight when the tornado watch was issued. It had to be the slowest moving storm on record. For hours I sat and watched as it crept across the state of Mississippi.

At about 05:30 this morning I got my dad up so he could continue the vigil. The rain from these storms started as I went to bed about 6. These storms had lost their punch. The tornado watch was lifted before 7am.

Cool out today and a little breezy... at least no big storms.

The last few days have been nice, 60s-80s in the day time, 40s & 50s at night, some high wind, and some rain, but acceptable overall. Just nice enough to make you want to run out and plant your garden. Then I check the 10 day forecast and I see 3 nights below 30 #$@!@#!.. I am so glad that I didn't get my tomatoes planted yet...

First random drainage-system test of the year...
3.25" of rain in 2-1/2 hours.
Pass.
Saturation test complete. Pass.
Total rain for today: 4.82" .
Y'all come see us..... bring a pirogue.:ghostly:

The winter weather in Alaska has surrendered to spring and the forecast for the next week shows clear skies with highs in the upper 30’s to low 40‘s and the lows in the high 20’s. Soon enough items buried in the deep snow will start to magically appear as the snow recedes.

Latest posts

Back