Weather in your area?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like rain this afternoon, which suits me fine... I'm merely reading a book. Might watch a movie later and make a good dinner this evening. Early start tomorrow on what may be the final day of the Goathead War! I pulled a tour of inspection in the yard this morning, and I only have a few small areas of younger puncturevines to blast with the flamethrower... this is PROGRESS!!! I'll still have to keep an eye on any latecomers this season, but I can scuff them out with my Vibram soles, or use the hoe to scrape 'em at ground level. As long as I continue to interrupt the life cycle of these miserable goathead vines, there should be WAY less goatheads in my yard next year. That will be the big payoff, lol... :cool:

I never did answer Neb's question about using baking soda... I'm not gonna use any chemicals whatsoever in my yard, not even baking soda, as I don't wanna alter the soil composition and make it more difficult to grow things here (besides friggin' puncturevines, lol). I saw on the web where some folks use Epsom salts & vinegar to combat puncturevines, but I don't want that salt in the soil either, not to mention the acetic acid in vinegar. That stuff ain't gonna help my wildflowers grow, or my veggie garden... better to stick with the methods I'm using, even though the war is a monumental PITA, lol. Specific targeting of goatheads with these methods will leave all other plants unaffected, and the soil won't be ruined, aye? :oops:

Almost rained!! Just north of Patchouli, maybe she'll get some!! Just dusty wind here!
We stole it fromya'. Got 1.24" in about an hour.
Glad I mowed yesterday :thumbs:. I was late getting it done and the mulch left behind was huge:oops:.
I caught it perfect, overcast with wind and temps in the low 80's.:woo hoo:
According to the forecast, rain every day for the next 5 days so no mowing.:confused:
Edit: Come see us! Bring yer boots! :thumbs:
katc_eight_day.jpg

Last edited:
This is my idea of perfect weather. I don't like hot, and I don't like cold. This is just right for me.

1660093529700.png

Yes indeedy! Had downpour for a little bit. Thunderstorm. Scared the dog AND the cat, according to the home-based crew. It is a miraculous 84 degrees.
You rain hog!!! Not a drop here!!😮 Maybe tomorrow!! Just for the record, that rain was dropping south right toward me! Then it took a turn to the east!! Glad you got it Patch!!😉

We stole it fromya'. Got 1.24" in about an hour.
Glad I mowed yesterday :thumbs:. I was late getting it done and the mulch left behind was huge:oops:.
I caught it perfect, overcast with wind and temps in the low 80's.:woo hoo:
According to the forecast, rain every day for the next 5 days so no mowing.:confused:
Edit: Come see us! Bring yer boots! :thumbs:
katc_eight_day.jpg
I just want a dust settler!!

You rain hog!!! Not a drop here!!😮 Maybe tomorrow!! Just for the record, that rain was dropping south right toward me! Then it took a turn to the east!! Glad you got it Patch!!😉
It is like that sometimes! I felt three drops when you were talking about rain headed my way a while back. :p
We need longer rains than this, cuz it still makes everything smell funny. Maybe we'll get leftovers from a tropical disturbance. Love those.

It is like that sometimes! I felt three drops when you were talking about rain headed my way a while back. :p
We need longer rains than this, cuz it still makes everything smell funny. Maybe we'll get leftovers from a tropical disturbance. Love those.
You don't need long ones, you just need them, every, dang, day! gaah
I'll see if I can send you one, we have plenty to spare:rolleyes:.
We got our 'daily-rinse' today.. .79" in less than an hour.
You need some mud-puddles?:dunno: I can throw them in for free too:D.

"You kids go play in the back yard!"
IMG_20220810_150147.jpg

And THIS is how you properly water a tree!
IMG_20220810_150234.jpg

Edit: We jumped the gun on this one, and had to have a 'redo' :confused:. We will end the day with 1.57".

Last edited:
74 for a high. Cloudy all day. Bad thunderstorm rolled thru at work this afternoon. Rained for a couple hours, Got home and we had less than .20"

Looks somewhat of a cool down this weekend. Low 80's and much lower humidity and windy. Should dry the ground out enough to dig my taters Saturday or Sunday. It's usually miserably hot and sticky mid August here

92° here and dry, dry, dry. Supposed to continue for the next four days and then drop into the low 80s, hooray!
It was 98 degrees here. So, so hot! Dogs were lying down in the shade hardly moving. The AC in the car barely touched it. Heat like this zaps my energy. I got home about 3:30 from the dog park and laid down and took a nap.

Never got the "heavy rain" in the forecast, but supposedly there's rain in the forecast today, a 30% chance with a high of 86. Meh, I gotta make a store run today so I'm set for the weekend... no big plans otherwise, I'm still a bit stiff & sore from all that stooping & bending in the Goathead War. :confused:

Another week of perfect weather. Not to, Not to cold.... PERFECT.

1660448206661.png

Another week of perfect weather here too!! Really hot, not cold!! 102°+!
I am proud to announce that we had our first 'rain-free' day, today in almost 2 weeks!:woo hoo:
While nobody was lookin', I filled all the gas jugs with new fresh good-gas and the truck too in prep for 'spinny-thing' season.
You won't find me standing in line with the last-minute panic-people.
66984-NoDeal.gif

That has always been my best bet that I will never need a drop of it because our power never blinked:rolleyes:.
I'm good with that.:thumbs:
We are more vulnerable now than ever. This is August for Pete's sake!
We are supposed to have been baking in 95°-104° heat for weeks now.gaah
Instead, we are saturated to the point that if we get even 1" of rain, it just sits there and looks at us for 2 days.:mad:
(sorry, didn't mean to rant:()

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back