• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Welcome Home

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
We turned the cattle operation over to my great nephew about 18 months ago. Suddenly dad didn’t have critters to take care of for the first time in 85 years… I gave him the chickens to see after.

We lost 3 this spring to a racoon. I’ve caught 3 coons in steel traps.

My neighbor runs about 45 hens. When I ran that many, we helped each other out on orders. If she was short I’d give her a few cartons and vice versa.

Her sales are in a 6-month slump but she still has to feed all those hens.

I bought 3 young hens for $15 from her. 2 are less than a year old, the other one is about 18 months old. I’ve reserved 2 more to be picked up later.

Now we’ll have plenty of eggs for 3 people who don’t eat eggs every day.

Welcome to your new home girls! 2 domic's and a RR.

Hens (2)_v1.jpg

Last edited:

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I really want to get some chicken but my wife is dead set against it. She's probably right.
I would just be feeding the coons and coyotes. Also she would not eat a home grown chicken because they would become pets.
There was a chicken that just showed up one day and stayed for a couple weeks. It was the ugliest chicken I ever saw. Half it head was chewed off and most of its rear end was mangled. Something almost killed it but she survived. She disappeared just as suddenly as she came. We thought she had finally met her end but we saw her yesterday in the neighbors pasture. One tough old bird.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
This made me laugh...so true...

C Harrison...…. we use to have a saying in my house, throw the old chicken in the pot, add a rock, boil until the rock is tender. That is how you can tell if the chicken is done or not.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Another welcome home! I was at TSC today... Peeps were in, they had straight runs of Australorps, Dominics and RR’s and one other breed. And pre-sexed Black sexlinks and my favorite, ISA Browns. They also had two lonely little ducks left.

I got a dozen ISA Browns... Best little layers I've ever had.

Prices seemed up... $4.31 each on pre-sexed.

Since I won't be sitting with dad at the nursing home for the foreseeable future I took a chance on the peeps. If I can get them to 5 weeks they'll be okay, smooth sailing from there on out. The weather has been pretty volatile so they'll stay in my herb room for at least 2 weeks.

20 isa peeps sm1.JPG

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had to go to town for errands sooo... I got a 100 gallon galvanized water trough for the peeps. The little 25gallon tub they were in was too small for a dozen bitties. This trough allows for a hot zone at one end and a cool zone at the other. Now they can self regulate their own body temp much better. They have room to exercise also. As soon as I put them in the began running from one end to the other flapping their tiny wings and singing sooo loudly. They love their new home.

Normally after 10-14 days I move chicks out on the porch into a 400 gallon fiberglass laundry cart. March/early April can still have wacky weather with cold snaps. Dad is still in the nursing home. I don't know when I'll be back on sitting duty with him leaving less time to keep an eye on young bitties. This trough will allow me to keep them inside in my herb room a couple of extra weeks if needed. By mid-April they'll be able to handle a cool night or a humid one if raining out.

peeps a2 (2) sm.JPG

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Let hens out to get some green and they ate all the Black Eyed susans right away.
They have a large yars inside a fence but they have demolished that area a few years ago.
Poor bumble that was enjoying what little nector he got from the flowers got stomped on yesterday by dog and dog got stung on foot.
That bee had been hanging around for awhile always watching us .

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Little hussies! My hens haven't laid an egg since thanksgiving... I buy peeps 10 days ago. 4 days ago they still haven't laid an egg.

Since Wednesday evening... 13 eggs. I guess eggs are back on the menu!

eggs (1).JPG

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If you see chicks every day might not notice how fast they grow... These two pics are 8 days apart... 15th then 23mar. Now they are pooping machines, the wood chips were put down 5 hours ago.

15mar20 (1).JPG23mar20 (2).JPG

phideaux

Spectator of Life
Neighbor
@Peanut , you might think about them babies being a cash crop...
I called around yesterday for some 6-10 month old pullets for laying hens this year.
Have you checked out the going price of young laying hens ?

OMG !! $20-$50 EACH.

I only wanted 4 , to keep fresh eggs...but I got people down the road , I can buy eggs for $2 doz.

That's easier.

Jim

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I haven't checked the prices... The hens I got from a friend last summer were $5 each, but I was doing her a favor taking a few off her hands.

Her egg sales had dropped and she was feeding 40+ hens.

It's unfathomable to me why anyone would buy eggs from a store unless it's their only choice. Fresh eggs are sooo much better! I guess $1 a dozen eggs at WM are something a lot of people can't pass up... :dunno:

It's been years since I ate eggs at a restaurant until a couple of nights I was staying with dad at the home. I got hungry in the middle of the night and walked the 2 blocks to a Waffle House. Their eggs had absolutely no flavor...

@phideaux Your friend is giving you a bargain... At $2 a dozen it's not even paying for the feed.

The market on hens is iffy... The only reliable sale is old hens to the hispanic community... They want chicken meat with flavor, not the flavorless chicken meat at american grocery stores. The same is true for beef and pork, they'll buy from a farmer in a blink. That presents a host of regulation issues depending on the paticulars, state laws differ.

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I worked a while late yesterday and a couple hours today to finish up a new home for the peeps outside. Its a laundry cart from a state asylum that closed down, fiberglass, casters, about 400 gallon.

I've used it before to raise peeps but now I have a feral cat problem. So, I had to enclose it and make it critter proof yet serviceable. The hardware cloth can be removed but is meant to stay in place. It slips off the end like sock from a foot.

The plywood cover is "lift out" with guides on the bottom to keep it in place. It's painted in case rain blows up on to the porch and also give the peeps protection. It has a large vent where I can use a heat lamp or a 7 inch industrial fan for cooling.

They seem happy and I'm happy to have them out of my herb room. They are doing well. I purchased them 2 weeks ago tomorrow from TSC. They have doubled in size while in my care. I'm guessing they are about 3 weeks old.

20 peeps mar (7).jpg20 peeps mar (8).jpg20 peeps mar (9).jpg

Latest posts

Group Builder