Welcome Home

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Peanut...any way you can wire off a section of the coop for the newbies? That way they can all see each other and get used to each other gradually, but not get at each other yet. I have a little coop inside of each coop where I put the juniors for a few weeks, then I just move the wire back a bit so they can come and go. I need to introduce a turkey hen into an existing turkey run of two toms and two hens and I'm a bit nervous about it. Hope they are nice to her, but she was picked on in another run.

Hey Peanut...any way you can wire off a section of the coop for the newbies? That way they can all see each other and get used to each other gradually, but not get at each other yet.

Yes, hadn't really considered it but now that you mention it... a royal pain, have to rearrange everything in the coop (but i designed everything to be moveable).

That makes more sense and sounds a lot easier that sinking post holes in rock hard dry ground for a temp fence.

If they'll settle down... it's save building the temp fence all together. I can wait to build a new pen when the corral is done.

Thank you! It's worth a try. :)

You're welcome. Wish I could do that for the turkey hen, but I can't see how it would work in the run that they have and that they're all full sized birds. Crossing my fingers. I'll move her this weekend, and hope I don't end up with a dead bird.

I made my coop so I could move it and everything inside it. Mostly for ease of cleaning and for changing needs. A friend has a coop i dislike going in. Its wood and built to last. Even supporting a ton of chicken poop with an inch of dust on top, a bacteria cesspool... Can't breath in the coop. Reminds me of my uncle's big chicken houses... but his are cleaner.

My hens seem to do better with fresh air. It doesn't get that cold here. I buy the tarp big enough to cover the north and west side of the coop. Blocks the cold winter winds, chickens do fine, never lost one in winter.

This is my coop layout now... and the roost by the door. Everything is moveable except i have to figure a way to feed, water both groups along with nest boxes for each (I use soda flats).

I have other feeders, not sure about water...

coop in 01.jpg
coop in 02.JPG

One of my uncle's egg production house below. Eggs to hatch chicks are picked up nightly then and hatched else where... Next the chicks go to broiler houses. Then they become the chicken we buy at the store.

The smell is nasty to me, the air is filled with dust you can taste, not pleasant... and the flies. Flies are a big problem. This one chicken house holds 30K chickens. Ever hear 30K noisy chickens? 🤢

Chicken house 1 a.JPG

Got it done, now I have coop with a center divider and extra door. The little hen that was injured yesterday died today, crap! So, I have 4 new hens with 5ftx10ft of space and the same for the old 4 hens. Each group has a separate roost pole, feed, water and laying box.

I am so glad I decided to build the coop out of 6ftx10ft chainlink fence panels with movable components inside. Rusted parts are easy to acquire and replace. It’s easy to reconfigure the coop, like today, putting in a center divider is a simple straight forward process. Time consuming but simple... I've reconfigured it a dozen times through the years.

Edit to add, I had an extra water tank but didn't have a suitable feeder. Just a couple of little ones for chicks. I just poured feed into a pan for the old hens. The young ones have the good feeder.

20231006_newhen 2 24a.jpg
20231006_newhen 2 28a.jpg
20231006_newhen 2 31a.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back