• Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.

Welcome Home

Help Support Homesteading Forum:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
@txcatlady What's this with the sulfur? Haven't heard that in connection with snakes.

I do use golf balls though... I remember as a kid grandpa and I watching a chicken snake that had swallowed an egg climb a fence post then throw itself off a fence post repeatedly to crack the egg. Snakes can't pass a golf ball, causes a terminal case of constipation.

Edit to add... I did a little internet research into the sulfur thing. It's one of several things in chicken lore that is supposed to drive off snakes. I'd never heard of the sulfur thing but have heard that cedar branches or cedar saw dust will ward off snakes. I know cedar doesn't work.

I know people who swear by moth balls in the shrubs or flower beds around your house to ward off snakes. I've also seen mothballs not work.

Nests 01 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Night before last I went down to a neighbors house. She'd hatched out several dozen chicks this year and had roosters to spare. I needed a rooster. It had gotten dark and her chicks were the same age as mine.

It was hard to be sure I got a rooster instead of a hen but I think we got it right. His comb is bigger than my little hens, he's a little taller and my 2 old hens treat him differently than they do my young ones. They don't hesitate to exert dominance over the little hens but they leave the young rooster alone.

Anyway, here he is close to the camera with the black arrow.

peeps rooster 25maya sm.JPG

Latest posts