Went rabbit hunting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squirrelhunter

Tree rat eradicater
Neighbor
Only saw 1 and didn't get a shot but the beagle ran a couple for awhile,being out is all that counts. Planning on going squirrel hunting tomorrow.

I haven't been rabbit hunting in a while! I love the back legs done osso bucco style in cast iron with carrots, onion, celery and a touch of wine. Mmmmm!

Ahhh Rabbit.

Have a family of 'em living in the back lot...from my count, six total now.

The wife likes 'em so I don't shoot 'em...

Now SQUIRRELS...Shot 'em every chance I get...which is a lot...!!

Not been rabbit hunting in a bit now. I miss my basset hounds, best rabbit dogs there are.

Eastern Cottontails here in Pennsylvania...

f4HLUgZ.jpg

Cottontails are usually 15 to 18 inches long and usually weigh in at between two and three pounds. They can range in color from a light brown to a darker gray.

Cottontails have relatively long, erectly held ears, large back feet and their signature, white, fluffy, "cotton" tail.

The term "rabbit" and the term "hare" are often used as synonyms but are not at all interchangeable.

The most obvious difference between these two types of small, grazers is the shape of their ears:

Hares have much longer ears than rabbits and the ears of hares tend to have black colored tips.

There are also significant differences in the two groups' burrowing habits: only rabbits make underground burrows

and in the characteristics of their young: rabbits have naked newborns, hares have furred newborns.

tTKZIZn.jpg

( I said I didn't hunt rabbits on my property...but, I didn't say I didn't hunt 'em or know anything about 'em. )

Last edited by a moderator:
Now SQUIRRELS...Shot 'em every chance I get...which is a lot...!!

My wife gets upset when I 'pest control'... until they bother her bird feeders... then it's okay... and I get to 'practice'. :rolleyes:
Best regards,
:smilie flag:Bob

My wife likes that I shoot the squirrels...they are very destructive to home eaves and storage shed alike...and can cause a house fire because they like to chew on electrical wire shielding...

All I use is my suppressed pellet rifle...only sound you here is them hittin' every branch on the way down to the dirt.

And yea...the rabbits are cute...until they get in the Wife's garden. :rolleyes:

I didn't see any squirrels today, didn't figure I would though,just had to go 1 more time for old times sake since I'm loosing the place probably.

I have not hunted rabbits for years. I do have a few gums set, just to keep the population in check. I have already taken about all I want too.

I raise Florida Whites, would rather have rabbit than chicken, plus they are more economical to raise than meat chickens.

Not to hijack the thread... but 'WHAT?!?!':eek::huh:Bob

Because my neighbor Bill who I've known my whole life,I took care of the last few years and who has let me hunt it since I started hunting in '75,died a couple of weeks ago. Even though he was in the process of changing his will to leave it to me he died 2 days before he got to look over the rough draft,they went by the original will. So more than likely it will be sold but even if not,the odds of the new owner letting me still hunt it is slim I'd say,just depends on who it is I guess. But with it being unknown at this point I'm thinking I'll be loosing it.

Because my neighbor Bill who I've known my whole life,I took care of the last few years and who has let me hunt it since I started hunting in '75,died a couple of weeks ago. Even though he was in the process of changing his will to leave it to me he died 2 days before he got to look over the rough draft,they went by the original will. So more than likely it will be sold but even if not,the odds of the new owner letting me still hunt it is slim I'd say,just depends on who it is I guess. But with it being unknown at this point I'm thinking I'll be loosing it.

Very sorry!

My warmest condolences.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some as a kid here when mom & dad owned it and have missed some but I think it's the first I've gotten since I bought it 5 years ago. I definitely need to check my gun setup or work on my shotgun shooting though.

ZEDow1C.jpg

Took a look at the weather fore cast and decided to break out the RV Trailer from winter storage and head to the river Thursday morning. Trout season opens the 1st of March. Dont really care for em but will drown some bait and eat them If I get any. Mostly going to get outside and enjoy sitting by the fire evenings and mornings. supposed to be sunny and in the upper 50s thru Sunday. Its a nice RV park right on the Niangua River just across from Bennet Springs, a big trout hatchery. they stock Rainbows and Browns in the park and in the river also.

I've never been rainbow and brown trout fishing,or even pike,walleye or sauger fishing,I mainly go after bass,catfish and bluegill and once in awhile grass carp.

I've never been rainbow and brown trout fishing,or even pike,walleye or sauger fishing,I mainly go after bass,catfish and bluegill and once in awhile grass carp.

Sorry I stuck this under your thread squirrel, should have been seperate. I dont fish trout often, but I did catch some Saturday. Thursday and Friday the water was fast, high, and muddy, struck out. Saturday it cleared up a lot, went down and was OK. Had a good time. Now I have to take the RV to the dearler, water heater didnt work, bummer. At least they had a shower house with HOT water.

Sorry I stuck this under your thread squirrel, should have been seperate. I dont fish trout often, but I did catch some Saturday. Thursday and Friday the water was fast, high, and muddy, struck out. Saturday it cleared up a lot, went down and was OK. Had a good time. Now I have to take the RV to the dearler, water heater didnt work, bummer. At least they had a shower house with HOT water.
That fine,no need to apologize,I like talking about fishing too especially since I have a pond :D. That sucks about the water heater,seems like things always break at the wrong time but at least they had a shower.

Latest posts

Back