What about the dog?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
You have had Fido for 10 or 15 years he is a member of the family. What about his food? Can your Fido survive with out a food bowl and a tummy rub?
People drop off domesticated dogs here in the country thinking a dog can find a rabbit. Domesticated dog has no idea what a rabbit looks like and will starve or be eaten by coyotes
Will your dog survive?

I keep a years worth of dog food. When my food runs out I hope she shares with me. If she is wandering on her own it is because I'm no longer living to care for her.

Part of the overall homestead items covered is the needed items to make a good quality dog food. If I'm eating healthy then most scraps are fine (not all). My current dogs would die for sure without the care we give them. Future dog breeds I'll be getting could probably do very well in the wild.

I worked at a vet clinic years ago and even then, folks would want "extra" pups euthanized but couldn't afford it so would dump them. I don't expect the vets to pay for this, but I also know what a bottle of beuthanasia costs (or did then). I would rather see a critter put down than dumped and left to parish inhumanely. My opinion: it should be an option the humane society offers for free - much cheaper than feeding and caring for them.
Then there is the other side of this which is in many countries, there are no strays because they become dinner. I'm not sure I could do that, but maybe I've just not been hungry enough.

I'm assuming this is a SHTF senario! As long as we can stay at the homestead we are ok! Mommy will hunt, kill, dress, and cook for him! If it were an apocalyptic situation, I'm eating the dog!
It's getting close to animal feeding time now! Apparently they think they are not going to make it much longer!!😮😉😃 The cries are terrible, and I'm getting the stink eye from the two house cats! Bear may really have to eat a cat if I don't get their dinner fast!😺🐕‍🦺

This sweet thing killed a squirrel this morning. I’ve seen her pick a bird off mid flight.

CF9F6805-1348-4FEB-803F-AB95630A2B59.jpeg

I'm assuming this is a SHTF senario! As long as we can stay at the homestead we are ok! Mommy will hunt, kill, dress, and cook for him! If it were an apocalyptic situation, I'm eating the dog!
Would this be after you have finished off the donkeys? :dunno:

a dog would be too useful and if anyone has got to the stage of eating their own dog then they have failed in survival and its only delaying their own demise.

Read my post, I said in an apocalyptic situation!!
donkeys and rat terriers will be a must in shtf deal.

donkey for plowing and terriers for ratting.

i just seen the other day donkeys in 3rd world spots now being such a huge asset from plowing,to packing to pulling a cart.

why just yesterday i seen a young girl..maybe 12-13yrs old or so coming up road in her two wheel cart pulled my small horse.this wasnt a pony.dont know what he was but was stepping it off pretty good speed wise. the girl had a big smile on her face.reigns in one hand and buggy whip in the other. she waved and i waved back as we passed each other.passed 3 little fellers probably 6,7 and 8 walking home up and over big ridge to home. they had their bright neon workers vests on carrying books and galoshes home from school house.

after seeing this i know that in certain spots all is still well in places.

donkeys and rat terriers will be a must in shtf deal.

donkey for plowing and terriers for ratting.

i just seen the other day donkeys in 3rd world spots now being such a huge asset from plowing,to packing to pulling a cart.

why just yesterday i seen a young girl..maybe 12-13yrs old or so coming up road in her two wheel cart pulled my small horse.this wasnt a pony.dont know what he was but was stepping it off pretty good speed wise. the girl had a big smile on her face.reigns in one hand and buggy whip in the other. she waved and i waved back as we passed each other.passed 3 little fellers probably 6,7 and 8 walking home up and over big ridge to home. they had their bright neon workers vests on carrying books and galoshes home from school house.

after seeing this i know that in certain spots all is still well in places.
Donkeys can also find and dig for water!!

Our dogs have always been part of our preps. We only have one now, but at times we have had three or four. The current pup has his own BOB, and we probably have more food stored for him than we do for ourselves. I would expect we would all die together. We wouldn't eat him.

I no longer have any pets. I'm just not home enough to care for one. But were I to have another, it would be a larger, heavy coated dog. My Doberman was one of the best dogs I've ever known, but he struggled with cold weather. I would probably choose a Lab or Lab mix for their hunting qualities. Our farm labs were quite resourceful about food - they killed and ate lots of critters even though they were being fed. And, any dog I kept in a SHTF scenario, would receive a due portion of any food that was obtained. They are worth it just for the psychological benefits one gets from their company...

Back