What am I?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double R

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Anyone know what breed this guy is?
90D5C3C6-B2A6-4707-9D7D-461273AFD53B.jpeg

Sort of looks like a seagull got in the hen house! No idea. I got wiped out by raccoons once. Got some eggs from a neighbor and hatched them.

The strangest looking chickens I've ever seen, except in my neighbors yard 😆.

Anyone know what breed this guy is?
View attachment 84497
Yes, it's a cross between a Rhode Island red and those huge white chickens I'm so old I've forgotten the name of.maybe Domineker?
we had loads of them when I was a kid. the females run a gold to gold yellow. pretty docile breed and good layers too, good, thick
shells, very hardy and disease resistant.
Found it, the other half is called a Jersey Giant. so pretty much its a cross between a fryer and a layer.
Do the hens look like this?
goldie.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, it's a cross between a Rhode Island red and those huge white chickens I'm so old I've forgotten the name of.maybe Domineker?
we had loads of them when I was a kid. the females run a gold to gold yellow. pretty docile breed and good layers too, good, thick
shells, very hardy and disease resistant.
Found it, the other half is called a Jersey Giant. so pretty much its a cross between a fryer and a layer.
Do the hens look like this?
View attachment 84506
Don’t know what the hens would look like. He just showed up here on the property.
I didn’t know Jersey giants came in white. Just black as far as I knew. He’s pretty small but I think he’s fairly young.

He's a mixed breed. Got coloring of more than one variety. Here are the mixed chicks I hatched that year (with some RR's). They had splashes of color on white with streaks of black.

Your bird reminds me a lot of these, not exact but close. Mine definitely look like seagulls.

c (8)a.jpg

@Peanut Thanks. He’s a very nice rooster so far. Good temperament as of now. Extremely comfortable in a cage. We haven’t decided his fate yet. He’s not a meatie bird but he does appear to be young. We are considering keeping him but we will see how it goes with our old rooster. Just can’t figure out where he came from.

If it was a dog we would call it a mutt.
Good health, personality, and temperament.

Yes, but they are trying to sell it.

Just seems odd he was “nice” yesterday when he showed up. He was quite hungry though and is thinner. We were able to net him easily yesterday. Was completely comfortable in a cage like he’s used to one, but when he comes out he attacks. I mean pecking and claws like a fighting rooster. I have serious concerns about our old rooster just from that behavior against a human. He flew up and stood on the fence so I was easily able to grab him before he got out. He’s contained back in the cage while we figure out a plan. Having the chicks makes it a far easier decision for me. This was EXACTLY why I wouldn’t buy a rooster off Craigslist. They all seemed to be fighting birds anymore around here

Some roosters are just nuts. Maybe the people that had him before couldn't stand him and let him go. Maybe he's a young teen and his hormone are racing. Sometimes they settle down.
If he's in a cage, you could fatten him up and then eat him. Feed him lots of corn.

That’s what I’m thinking. Fatten him up and put him in the freezer.
Having chicks here now I’m not to concerned with giving him every chance possible. Especially risking the safety of our flock.
Not the first one to show up and end up in the freezer.
‘Thanks for the advice @Amish Heart

Our son had a dz or so hens and one good rooster in a coop with a high walled run against a fence in the suburbs. He got up one morning and heard a huge ruckus and there was a rooster in there fighting with his rooster. Wondered if someone had a mean rooster and just threw him in there to get rid of him. The wall bordered an alley.

Latest posts

Back