What are lights called.....you plug in outlet.....light comes on when power goes out.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Battery powered emergency lights?
Is he asking about emergency exit lights?:
feature-benefit-emergency-exit-lights.jpg

I started a thread about the ones we got that stay on when the power goes out.
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/led-bulbs-that-dont-need-electricity-to-work-oh-yeah.13959/post-569029
(yes, they all still work great 2-1/2 years later:thumbs:).

I have GE Power Failure lights! They plug in to an outlet, come on if the power to that outlet ceases!
Yes.........What I am thinking of is small lights, like night lights. Come on when power goes off.

I need to know what things are called so I can order them.

I never heard of these light bulbs. They appear to provide low light (120 lumens) for 5 hours. Here's my question. Let's say it's the middle of the night and you're not using the lamp the emergency light bulb is in. Will the light come on automatically if you lose power?

I never heard of these light bulbs. They appear to provide low light (120 lumens) for 5 hours. Here's my question. Let's say it's the middle of the night and you're not using the lamp the emergency light bulb is in. Will the light come on automatically if you lose power?
If the bulbs are turned on when the power goes off, they will stay on.
If they are turned off when the power goes out, they will stay off, but you can always turn them on by turning the lamp/fixture switch back on.

Last edited:
If the bulbs are turned on when the power goes off, they will stay on.
If they are turned off when the power goes out, they will stay off, but you can always turn them on by turning the lamp/fixture switch back on.
Thank you. It would be nice to have a bulb automatically come on in the middle of a pitch black dark night to alert you of a power outage, and possibly, also help you see your way out of the house if the power outage was due to a fire. But, I guess, that is watch the flashlight or gun light on your bedside table will help you see your way out of the house in case of a fire.

I think they will come on during a power outage even if the lamp is off.
I'm not real sure how they work but I will buy some when I get home in a few months.

They need the light switch to be ‘on’ to close the circuit to the neutral wiring in your house. That’s how most of these work. Also, once the internal battery is charged the bulbs can be removed and they usually come with a hanger that can be screwed into the base of the bulb to close the circuit and turn on the bulb so you can place extra bulbs easily around the house.

We used to have some small rechargeable flashlights that sat in little holders plugged into outlets. During normal power, they would recharge. During a power outage they would come on. You could remove them from their holders and use them like regular flashlights as well. They worked for a couple of months/years, were not very bright when they did work, then they died. I can't remember where we got them (Costco or Amazon maybe?) Obviously they were CCC ("Cheap Chinese Crap"). But there are probably much better things made for this purpose these days.

I just go for regular flashlights (LED) now. You can't take three steps in our house without tripping over a flashlight somewhere, so we're set!

They need the light switch to be ‘on’ to close the circuit to the neutral wiring in your house. That’s how most of these work. Also, once the internal battery is charged the bulbs can be removed and they usually come with a hanger that can be screwed into the base of the bulb to close the circuit and turn on the bulb so you can place extra bulbs easily around the house.
And they look almost exactly the same as regular bulbs.:thumbs:
But if you get some, you just gotta freak out your neighbor doing the "Uncle Fester" trick! 🤪 I did!:
https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/actual-blackout-bulbs-yup.18929/post-570769
(yes, that is the 'real me':D)

Latest posts

Back