What are you drinking?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy fRYEday

4finger.jpg

Very Nice. Have you ever tried this one? It's not bad. I believe now it is made by Jim Beam but supposedly it is still the same formulation that was used when they started in 1810. Also supposedly, this was the drink of choice for Ulysses Grant and Doc Holiday.

1644062610918.png

Very Nice. Have you ever tried this one? It's not bad. I believe now it is made by Jim Beam but supposedly it is still the same formulation that was used when they started in 1810. Also supposedly, this was the drink of choice for Ulysses Grant and Doc Holiday.

View attachment 79728

old overholt is the oldest continues label made in the US. they had rights to make whiskey for medical purposes during prohibition

They dropped it down to 80 proof back in the 80's i think. I have looked for the old overholt 114 but haven't found it around.

I was out Letting Leon dig and he found an orangish/pinkish root and it reminded me of my grandmother making sassafras tea. I loved the smell and the taste. You don't see many roots when you are clearing trees anymore.

Just reminiscing.

Good choice! I like a good Patron Silver as well
I've got a two year old, unopened bottle of Patron Reposado above my fridge. I had a bottle of Patron Silver before that, it took me almost 4 years to finish it. I just don't drink much. I've got a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon up there too. I doubt I'll live long enough to knock that one out, even though it's pretty good.

I'm on the hunt for a bottle of Buffalo Trace. That would get drank. Thats probably the best liquor I have ever had...

I've got a two year old, unopened bottle of Patron Reposado above my fridge. I had a bottle of Patron Silver before that, it took me almost 4 years to finish it. I just don't drink much. I've got a bottle of Four Roses Bourbon up there too. I doubt I'll live long enough to knock that one out, even though it's pretty good.

I'm on the hunt for a bottle of Buffalo Trace. That would get drank. Thats probably the best liquor I have ever had...
I have an empty bottle in my kitchen window!! Gone for a long time, it was great!!

I could kick myself. I was at the local liquor store looking for wellers a few weeks ago and they told me they didn't have any but had Buffalo Trace and I passed on it. Should have grabbed a couple of bottles.

I could kick myself. I was at the local liquor store looking for wellers a few weeks ago and they told me they didn't have any but had Buffalo Trace and I passed on it. Should have grabbed a couple of bottles.
It's so mild. I've never drank a Bourbon that didn't have a bite to it before, but Buffalo Trace on the rocks goes down easy like kool-aid. No need for a mixer of any kind.

There's a bar near Des Moines called Whiskey River. They have something like 60 kinds of Bourbon and Buffalo Trace is the cheapest of them at $7.50/glass. I wouldn't take any of those hundred dollar whiskeys over Buffalo Trace...

It's so mild. I've never drank a Bourbon that didn't have a bite to it before, but Buffalo Trace on the rocks goes down easy like kool-aid. No need for a mixer of any kind.

There's a bar near Des Moines called Whiskey River. They have something like 60 kinds of Bourbon and Buffalo Trace is the cheapest of them at $7.50/glass. I wouldn't take any of those hundred dollar whiskeys over Buffalo Trace...

Ever has Weller special reserve (Weller is made by Buffalo Trace and is also a wheated whiskey)? It's like that very mild and smooth flavor profile. The Wellers antique is much harder to come by and has a great flavor profile but is isn't as mild as the SR, really depends what your pallet likes.

I love whiskey
weller107.jpg

weller3.jpeg

I haven't had Wellers SR but I know it's supposed to be fantastic. My taste buds must be weird though. I tend to like the not cheap but not that expensive kinds. I tried an $80 Woodford and hated it. But I like a $25 bottle of Four Roses.

Since you enjoy Rye, have you tried Templeton? That's a favorite in Iowa...

I haven't had Wellers SR but I know it's supposed to be fantastic. My taste buds must be weird though. I tend to like the not cheap but not that expensive kinds. I tried an $80 Woodford and hated it. But I like a $25 bottle of Four Roses.

Since you enjoy Rye, have you tried Templeton? That's a favorite in Iowa...

Templeton is pretty good so is Redemption, the only rye I have had I didn't really like is Bulleit but i also dislike their boubon.

The whislte pig was a $90 bottle and while it is very good the New Riff is $40 and the whistle pig isn't twice as good. New Riff is my recommendation for rye.

The Weller SR is $25 and four roses is a nice tasting inexpensive bourbon. In that price range I recommend wild turkey 101.

Latest posts

Back