What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baked chicken drumsticks with rice, steamed broccoli will be one day.
Pizza will be 3 or 4 meals(don't eat much), green salad, fruit and water
Tuna noodle,broccoli with creamy, smokey cheese sauce.
Two pans for the chest freezer for future meals.
1 casserole dish for lunch and dinner one day.
Will have to cook Wednesday.

I'm making lentil stew using up the other half of the smoked sausage.
Garlic bread to go with it using up the leftover italian bread

I've tried to grill out on my little smokey joe grill twice this year. It sits close to the ground and the ground was cold enough to pull all the heat out of my grill. Both times I had to finish cooking in the house.

But not today, the surface temp of the ground was around 75 degrees. I smoked a whole pack of kosher hotdogs with pecan wood... they are so good. I had 2 dogs, 2 ears of corn smothered with melted butter and old bay seasoning, chips and a piece of pie... I'm stuffed.

Dogs 45 (2) sm.JPG

I've tried to grill out on my little smokey joe grill twice this year. It sits close to the ground and the ground was cold enough to pull all the heat out of my grill. Both times I had to finish cooking in the house.

I have not seen a Smokey Joe in a long time. When I was an apartment dweller I had one that sat out on my patio. If I remember correctly I had purchased extended legs for it so it would sit much higher off the ground.

I have not seen a Smokey Joe in a long time. When I was an apartment dweller I had one that sat out on my patio. If I remember correctly I had purchased extended legs for it so it would sit much higher off the ground.

It's perfect for one or two people... I can do 5 burgers or a pack of dogs. I've even done a couple of ribeyes on it, just the sear, finished in the oven. I smoke almost everything with pecan wood and only use lump charcoal. $30 and cooks great food. I used to get a new one every couple of years because the grate wears out. Last year I discovered ace hardware sells replacement grates that fit, $12.

food s s (2).jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking grilled cheese and soup today for supper

Change in plans hubby wanted Italian hoagies so thats what we're having

Last edited:
It's perfect for one or two people... I can do 5 burgers or a pack of dogs. I've even done a couple of ribeyes on it, just the sear, finished in the oven. I smoke almost everything with pecan wood and only use lump charcoal. $30 and cooks great food. I used to get a new one every couple of years because the grate wears out. Last year I discovered ace hardware sells replacement grates that fit, $12.

View attachment 42768
Strawberry would have her face in there just to see if she could grab your food.
Too low to the ground for me.

Last night I smoked three 6lb turkey breasts "Texas style" with coarse salt, pepper, garlic, onion, celery seed, and butter. Turned out amazing.

Tonight I am reverse searing some thick bone-in pork chops. 20 minutes on low heat with pecan smoke and then 1-2 minutes per side on a cast iron griddle.

Have I mentioned that I love my new grill? This tube smoker add on is pretty awesome too. But I still am looking at a new dedicated smoker.

2020-05-23_1757.jpg

Saturday: Arby's Chicken Bacon Swiss sandwich

Sunday: The rest of the lentil stew

Today: Fried ham, pork and beans ( I added a touch of liquid smoke) and pickled beets

Latest posts

Back