What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a small pot of chili tonight. I saw Alton Brown use a jar of salsa when making chili on tv. I like it this way. Salsa has most of the same ingredients and spices as chili. I add about a half can of tomatoes to the salsa then dump that into my chili. I add fresh garlic, an onion and meat. Takes about a half hour to make, not bad for quick chili. Yummy!

Chilli 3oct20.JPG

We gotta try that. Wish wife had me some salsa this year.

Here is the episode of "Good Eats" where AB uses salsa. I don't make it exactly like he does. It varies depending on what I have in the house at the time. I like fresh ingredients, jalapenos and garlic for instance. Chili is pretty forgiving anyway unless you're in the chili cook-off championship.

Alexandra made a beautiful pot roast this evening.

View attachment 51333
That looks so good! Now I am thinking I need to make this. I haven't had a pot roast in too long!
One of my all time favorite meals. My grandmother on the ranch made the best roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. Such a good meal!

That looks so good! Now I am thinking I need to make this. I haven't had a pot roast in too long!
One of my all time favorite meals. My grandmother on the ranch made the best roast beef with mashed potatoes and gravy. Such a good meal!

It's one of my all time favorites! We found roasts on sale for $2.79 per pound, I bought 8 of them it was the cheapest I had seen roast in along time.

We had the tuna salad recipe that Mr.Meer posted for dinner tonight. See it on his recipes any ideas thread. Very tasty. We used lemon, I think I'd prefer lime. We used dill since one of the people here doesn't care for cilantro. Used olive oil instead of sunflower. It was a little liquidy.
I had crackers with mine, Sociables.

Hot dogs,chili late lunch and popcorn for late evening snack or supper.
HashB now you have us wanting a roast too. Maybe cook one tomorrow.
Patch glad you tried out one of Mr.Meers recipes. Maybe next time it will be a little bettter, not so juicy.
Meer, it was perfect! I really enjoyed it because I am disgusted by mayonnaise these days.

Finally! The volunteer fire department down the road has a fish dinner once a month to raise funds. They only have it during the warm months of the year...

Because of covid they haven't had one all summer. My parents love to go in person as a great many elderly people go. The fire hall still isn't open, it was curb service only.

I went down and got mom and dad a nice fish dinner and one for myself. It's not a bad dinner for $10, 4 catfish fillets, fries, baked beans, coleslaw, hush puppies and a piece of cake. I usually make 2 meals out of mine.

Fire Hall.JPG

OH YUMMY, Peanut. Looks great. I never did hit the fire department shrimp feeds, brisket dinners, etc.
I had corn, refried beans, olives, lettuce and sour cream, ground beef for tacos, piled on top of corn chips.
A bit ago I had chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, don't do that much.

Latest posts

Back