What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon in the ER, exhausted by the time I picked up my med. I grabbed a fish sandwich and small fry from the burger joint on the way out of town, didn't finish either. Suddenly about 1am I was hungry! Couldn't think of anything else. Well it is the south, fried bologna hit the spot...

fried balogna (4) sm.JPG

Probably be eating at the fowl sale tonight. I'll be helping serve and take the money at the food booth. Hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, homemade pies and ice cream. I'll have to set a piece aside to ensure I'll get one. My cousin made blueberry cheesecake, cherry, and coconut cream. Decisions decisions

First burgers on the grill since last fall. They were soooo good! The ground is still cold/pulled heat from my grill, so I didn’t get the sear I wanted but they got plenty of pecan wood smoke. Surprising that a tiny $30 grill can turn out such good food but pecan wood does wonders for just about any kind of meat.

burgers smoked (2) sm.JPG

Afternoon in the ER, exhausted by the time I picked up my med. I grabbed a fish sandwich and small fry from the burger joint on the way out of town, didn't finish either. Suddenly about 1am I was hungry! Couldn't think of anything else. Well it is the south, fried bologna hit the spot...

View attachment 65036
Needs a slice of velveeta, just sayin :D

First burgers on the grill since last fall. They were soooo good! The ground is still cold/pulled heat from my grill, so I didn’t get the sear I wanted but they got plenty of pecan wood smoke. Surprising that a tiny $30 grill can turn out such good food but pecan wood does wonders for just about any kind of meat.

View attachment 65132
That looks like a Smoky Joe. I have one, too, because it’s just me and hubby. It’s big enough.

That looks like a Smoky Joe. I have one, too, because it’s just me and hubby. It’s big enough.

Yep, a little smokey joe. I have a larger Brinkman, can't remember the last time I used it. This little smokey joe does everything I need it to. It'll cook 4 burgers and a whole pack of dogs at the same time. I have gotten 4 ribeye's on it before, just for sear and smoke, finished in the oven. Used correctly a little smokey joe can easily feed 4 people for the price of couple pounds of lump charcoal.

I used to make and sell charcoal at the farmers market, along with a selection of woods for smoking. I still keep cherry, hickory, pecan and peach wood on hand. All of them work great on a little smokey joe.

Every time I see someone spending $500 for a gas grill at the big box store I just shake my head and walk on by...

I actually have 2 smokey joe's. Couple of summers ago I got the grate too hot and warped it. I bought a 2nd smokey joe. A few months later I found I could buy a replacement grate at Ace Hardware for $12. Next time I have a few folks over I'll use both. For now I just use the spare for parking the charcoal lighting chimney...

Smokey Joe (2) sm.JPG

Last edited:
Yep, a little smokey joe. I have a larger Brinkman, can't remember the last time I used it. This little smokey joe does everything I need it to. It'll cook 4 burgers and a whole pack of dogs at the same time. I have gotten 4 ribeye's on it before, just for sear and smoke, finished in the oven. Used correctly a little smokey joe can easily feed 4 people for the price of couple pounds of lump charcoal.

I used to make and sell charcoal at the farmers market, along with a selection of woods for smoking. I still keep cherry, hickory, pecan and peach wood on hand. All of them work great on a little smokey joe.

Every time I see someone spending $500 for a gas grill at the big box store I just shake my head and walk on by...

I actually have 2 smokey joe's. Couple of summers ago I got the grate too hot and warped it. I bought a 2nd smokey joe. A few months later I found I could buy a replacement grate at Ace Hardware for $12. Next time I have a few folks over I'll use both. For now I just use the spare for parking the charcoal lighting chimney...

View attachment 65161
I have my Smokey Joe on a table so I don’t have to bend down. We also have a large charcoal Weber that I rarely use.

Back