What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fillet Mignon means "dainty fillet" The standard serving size is 3 ounces. The actual area that fillet comes from is tapered from about 4" in diameter to 1 inch in diameter. The steaks are typically 1 to 3 inches thick.
What you had was a standard size fillet perhaps on the large side. They are the most tasteless cut of beef that exists. That is why they are wrapped in bacon and covered in sea salt. Their only claim to fame is that they are the tenderest cut of beef on the steer. - oh and the price per pound because there is so little fillet on each steer.
I would completely disagree about tasteless. And I don't care for salt on mine, bacon is ok but not needed. If they are a good cut and cooked right they are unbeatable IMO. I do prefer a good juicy 9 oz cut though.

In all my time as a cook in steakhouses I have never seen a 9 ounce fillet. I don't care for them because a top sirloin has much more flavor.
If you are satisfied with a fillet then you can have my portion too. I'll take a good rare T bone, a New York cut or top sirloin. I would even prefer a rib eye to a fillet.

Fillet Mignon means "dainty fillet" The standard serving size is 3 ounces. The actual area that fillet comes from is tapered from about 4" in diameter to 1 inch in diameter. The steaks are typically 1 to 3 inches thick.
What you had was a standard size fillet perhaps on the large side. They are the most tasteless cut of beef that exists. That is why they are wrapped in bacon and covered in sea salt. Their only claim to fame is that they are the tenderest cut of beef on the steer. - oh and the price per pound because there is so little fillet on each steer.
So are you having Fillet Mignon??

In all my time as a cook in steakhouses I have never seen a 9 ounce fillet. I don't care for them because a top sirloin has much more flavor.
If you are satisfied with a fillet then you can have my portion too. I'll take a good rare T bone, a New York cut or top sirloin. I would even prefer a rib eye to a fillet.
Ya'll are gonna need to eat some chicken!!😁🐔

T bone, rib eye, NY strip are all good. Sirloin makes good fajitas. Several restaurants sell large filets around here. 6 or 9 oz usually. Higher end grocery store wife passes on her way home from work has somebgood sized ones sometimes as well. Ill gladly take your helping.

Leftover "cincinnati chili" 5 ways. NO alarm chili, "chili", spagetti, beans, onions and shredded cheese. An aquired taste, it's warm and edible.

1642635851641.png

I know some steak lovers look down on them, but there is a reason the filet costs more than other cuts. The meat is tender, and when done right, tastes great.

I order steaks based on my mood. Depending on the day, I'm definitely down for a strip, or a good ribeye...but, when I'm at a fine steakhouse that offers one of those giant filets, I will go for them.

Tonight?...pork tenderloin. The pork filet, if you will. It is one of my wife's specialties. And, pretty healthy.

But, I already broke my diet by having a glass of wine. Oh well. There is always tomorrow.

Leftover "cincinnati chili" 5 ways.
Another of my wife's favorites. I never once had it as a kid. She has extended family from the Cincinnati area, and introduced me to it...and then kept making it. I definitely had to get used to it if we were going to stay married. :D I like it with cheese and onions...lots of onions.

Meatloaf, rice and peas. My wife made it because I was not doing well, I love that beautiful woman!

Daughter made 'Yakisoba' again...

Soba.jpg
:cool:

..While some of her so-called "Friends" (from previous-years in HS..) are straining themselves over which 'Tik-Tok challenge' is likely the Least fatal for them to 'one-up' over thier Other 'woketard' Zommie-friends.. :rolleyes: She is teaching herself Japanese cuisine.. and asking me 'Dad, when can we go to AZ to go shooting again?' 😍

jd

Tonight we pulled out the chicken pot pies that we froze 2 weeks ago, we cooked 2 and seal-a-mealed 4. They took longer to cook than the wife expected, but they were good eating.... Now the wife is critiquing the recipe, crust was too thick... when she got to the part where she made too much filling, I chimed in, "It would have been fine if we had another muffin pan"....... But that can be remedied...

Now she is talking about making beef pot pies..... I may have to go grocery shopping again.....

Tonight we pulled out the chicken pot pies that we froze 2 weeks ago, we cooked 2 and seal-a-mealed 4. They took longer to cook than the wife expected, but they were good eating.... Now the wife is critiquing the recipe, crust was too thick... when she got to the part where she made too much filling, I chimed in, "It would have been fine if we had another muffin pan"....... But that can be remedied...

Now she is talking about making beef pot pies..... I may have to go grocery shopping again.....
I love pot pies and haven't had one in more than a decade.

Sounds good Urban. Crust is my favorite part
Oh the crust tasted great, just too thick for her. But I bought her a set of pastry rulers that are used to make uniform crust thickness, they came in a set with 4 thicknesses, also had to get her the proper diameter ring cutters, I guess she didn't like me using an empty old #10 can as a cutter....

We had chicken stir fry over rice for my wife and brother and over cauliflower for me.

I sat here all day trying to decide what I wanted for dinner… I just put a pizza in the oven. I couldn’t decide… I have a fridge full of options from T-bone, catfish, shrimp, a dozen possibilities for ground chuck. Even made rice last night, perfect for fried rice today…

I could not make up my mind!!! I usually decide on dinner in about 10 seconds… Ever have one of those days when nothing sounds good? Not even pizza!

I sat here all day trying to decide what I wanted for dinner… I just put a pizza in the oven. I couldn’t decide… I have a fridge full of options from T-bone, catfish, shrimp, a dozen possibilities for ground chuck. Even made rice last night, perfect for fried rice today…

I could not make up my mind!!! I usually decide on dinner in about 10 seconds… Ever have one of those days when nothing sounds good? Not even pizza!
NO, I'm an eater!!

I think I had the lastest virus strain over the last 2 weeks. Last week I felt bad like I did before, a night here, another there. I had one afternoon when my nose smelled something burning when there wasn't. This week I've felt blah! everyday. Today was the first day I wanted and made a good brunch from scratch, eggs, bacon and hashbrowns.

This evening I feel to crappy to eat. I think that's the reason.

Latest posts

Back