What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had leftover German lentil soup, but after three rounds of it I was tired of just lentil soup, so I made some chimichurri to drizzle on top. Everything tastes better with chimichurri on it. Also had a big green salad — spring mix, tomatoes, carrots, celery, red onion, eggplant sott’olio, and avocado, with lemon-olive oil vinaigrette.
I have been making big pots of soup for most of my adult life. Many years ago, I realized that I would be sick of it by the time it was gone. I've been using deli containers to freeze meal size servings. When I was still teaching, I could go to the freezer, grab one on my way out the door, and by lunch time, it would be thawed and ready to eat. I still do this. Now I make batches of soup and always freeze some of it. One day this week when it was raining, I had cauliflower soup from the freezer.

Homemade burgers with cheesy tater tots...
Mmmm, cheesy tater tots! Do you put shredded cheese on them before you bake them?
I rarely have tater tots, and now it has been many years. I just never think of buying them. I like them when I make the frozen, breaded fish filets. I rarely have them anymore, but I like them.

Mmmm, cheesy tater tots! Do you put shredded cheese on them before you bake them?
I rarely have tater tots, and now it has been many years. I just never think of buying them. I like them when I make the frozen, breaded fish filets. I rarely have them anymore, but I like them.
I put them in the deep fryer and then sprinkle a little shredded cheese on them immediately after I remove them from the fryer.

I pan fried a couple burgers last night. Didn't want another burger tonight so I diced up a cup of bell pepper and onion and sweated them down in butter. Just a little salt and fresh cracked pepper, spread it over a patty.

I opened my favorite canned peas. I gave them a splash of pepper sauce, hey, this is the south. A good dinner.

View attachment 85714
Are your favorite canned peas the brown ones to the right? My preference for peas is frozen, but I do have some dehydrated ones. I'm also trying to figure out which canned peas are best, for my stockpile. So many are too mushy and starchy, but centuries ago, peas were one of main foods that people ate, in porridges and cooking in pots with other stuff thrown in.

I went hunting morels and ramps on Lookout mtn last month.
Ramp hunting is something I want to do, but no chance of that in Colorado. A friend grew up in southeastern Ohio and used to walk around in the woods and eat them when he found them. He and I have tried to grow them here, but so far without success. I know he is a better gardener than I am, but it is fun to experiment!

Tuna Helper with a twist. Many of us who grew up Catholic loathe tuna fish. We had tuna fish casserole every Friday night for a hundred years. Oddly enough I like tuna fish casserole. In fact, I like tuna fish in any way shape or form, but my wife doesn't. So, let's look for something she DOES like.

I got the Tuna Helper Tetrazinni flavor, but instead of adding tuna fish I added shrimp. Big Hit!! Who knew? When you get the "You can make this again." endorsement, you know you have a hit.

Are your favorite canned peas the brown ones to the right?

I'm also trying to figure out which canned peas are best, for my stockpile.

I like these and their snap peas because they taste like field peas in the south are supposed to taste, southern style. They aren't as good as gandma's but I won't turn them away. Especially with a little splash of pepper sauce (not to be confused with hot sauce which is different).

Edit to add... Their blackeyed peas aren't bad but I'm not overly fond of anyone's blackeyed peas. They make "onion n squash" thats edible too.

Peas.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you.
Do you make either of these? Pepper sauce or hot sauce?

I make pepper sauce. Last time it didn't turn out right. I just posted in the acv thread, didn't know if it was the vinegar I used. It looks nice in bottles, colorful. I used red and green cayennes, jalapenos and a tiny serrano, galic, salt, peppercorns. Simple to make.

I bought a Tabasco plant a couple days ago with a new bottle of pepper sauce in mind.

Pepper Sauce.JPG

I make pepper sauce. Last time it didn't turn out right. I just posted in the acv thread, didn't know if it was the vinegar I used. It looks nice in bottles, colorful. I used red and green cayennes, jalapenos and a tiny serrano, galic, salt, peppercorns. Simple to make.

I bought a Tabasco plant a couple days ago with a new bottle of pepper sauce in mind.

View attachment 85936
I grew a pepper plant with these kinds of peppers two years ago and it did well. I still have the many dried peppers. I need to use them to make some pepper sauce.

Daughter has a friend whose family makes a very well known pepper sauce. They have been in business for a very long time and he is on the board of the company. Of course, the name escapes me now.

Our youngest is a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for tried and true good recipes for when she comes to visit
A general rule of thumb from when I was vegetarian was replace meat with beans or chickpeas and stock/broth with vegetable stock or broth in recipes. Worked pretty good for many things. I have a few vegetarian cookbooks around somewhere but over the years I've found that I don't follow actual recipes in cooking. I'll look at them to get ideas but never really use them.

Now baking on the other hand, I'll follow a recipe exactly the first time then tweak it to my own tastes every time after that.

We also have a few. I do make a killer vegetarian Shepherds Pie for here when she comes to visit. The meat replacement is portobello mushrooms and chopped carrot and zucchini, the rest is the same. And I put cream in the mashed potato topping with freshly grated parmesan. She is a picky vegetarian, but she is a good cook herself. Always like tasty recipes.

Tuna Helper with a twist. Many of us who grew up Catholic loathe tuna fish. We had tuna fish casserole every Friday night for a hundred years. Oddly enough I like tuna fish casserole. In fact, I like tuna fish in any way shape or form, but my wife doesn't. So, let's look for something she DOES like.

I got the Tuna Helper Tetrazinni flavor, but instead of adding tuna fish I added shrimp. Big Hit!! Who knew? When you get the "You can make this again." endorsement, you know you have a hit.
I love tuna casserole and it is another thing I haven't made nor eaten in a long time. We ate it on Fridays when I was a Catholic child. Once you do a keto diet, all the carbs, at least for me, are not eaten as often. I like lots of onions, extra onions in tuna fish casserole, and I add frozen peas to it. I also love a tuna fish sandwich. One of my clients made one for me one day. She doesn't like onions, but adds celery instead. It was such a good sandwich. I love onions in mine, but the celery was a nice difference for me.

This sounds really delicious. Canned coconut milk is a good thing to keep stocked for curries. I also keep bamboo shoots and pineapple. Not in this recipe, but water chestnuts are a good Asian food to prep, in addition to all the spices and sauces. And this is another meal that uses rice.

I know that fresh chicken would be best, but I wonder about using canned chicken in this recipe. I think I will try it soon.

I tried it with canned chicken once and it was not bad, just not as good as with fresh and you could probably use water chestnuts instead of peppers if you don''t have any.

Today I made Indian curry :) with carrots , potatoes, cauliflower , chicken with rice
I usually make mango chutney with this but the mangoes at the store looked bad, so no mangoes

The volunteer fire dept had catfish plates tonight. It used to come with 4 fillets instead of 2 and came w/BBeans. Now it's choice of 2 sides instead of 3. The price has gone up $1. Still a good meal for a good cause. Just a reflection of changes that are getting worse everyday.

food fishplate 07may22 1a .JPG

I noticed catfish fillets are up $2 per pound in the last 4 months. Which is strange because I can drive to commercial catfish farms in less than 40min. More than two dozen farms in the next county. I can't get good frozen fillets at the market either. What? did catfish stop growing?

Latest posts

Back