What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have no clue for tomorrow, will be cleaning out refrig.
I know it won't be chicken though, kinda tired of chicken.
Might have went overboard this week with chicken;
chicken salad, stuffed tomatoes with chicken salad,chicken parmensa, chicken tacos.
Who knew you could get so many leftovers out of 1 oven roasted chicken.

I know what you mean @MoBookworm1957 we can get 4 - 5 meals of chicken out of one family roast sized chicken of 2 + kg for the 2 of us.
And I saved the bones to make broth.
Also put shredded chicken in quart food saver bags in the freezer.
That bird was about 3 pounds, and it was smallest one in the chest freezer.

I'm grilling some sausages, making buttered noodles for the hubby and I'll add some alfredo sauce on mine and some pickled beets to go with.

Have no clue for tomorrow, will be cleaning out refrig.
I know it won't be chicken though, kinda tired of chicken.
Might have went overboard this week with chicken;
chicken salad, stuffed tomatoes with chicken salad,chicken parmensa, chicken tacos.
Who knew you could get so many leftovers out of 1 oven roasted chicken.
I can very easily get tired of chicken. It may be a family thing. My uncle ate lunch at the senior center in his town everyday except the days they had chicken. Then he would go to McDonald's.

My dad never ate chicken. Had to do with a pet chicken on the road, the one that was maybe trying to cross the road. But I digress. Probably have chicken for dinner. And cut green things that grow from the earth. And orange things. I haven't decided.
Everyone around me is getting sick.

Yes we do that too @MoBookworm1957 when we roast the chicken in a roast pan on a rack with the lid on and we put water in the bottom of it and it makes it's own broth while it cooks. We then strain off the fat and keep the liquid which I add more water to and use it in soups and other meals.

Our usual chicken size we buy is 2.4 kg and we usually cook 2 at a time and break off the meat and like you store it in freezer bags in the freezer for other meals and for sandwiches for lunches. I figure if we are going to have the oven on we may as well cook 2 instead of one as that's what fits in the large roasting pan.

When you are cooking for 1 or 2 people in a household it can be more challenging so this is the easiest for us. We also cook meals to have for 2 nights in a row as it is more economical to do so rather than cook every night in smaller portions.

I've got a whole chicken in the oven for dinner right now. I put Italian dressing on it. We're also having cantaloupe and green salad. Husband is picking up kids from a school dance on his way home, and then they have an hour to do chores, wolf down dinner, and then I bring granddaughter to American Heritage Girls and grandson goes to Boy Scouts. Mondays are a rush. The middle school having a dance after school makes it more of one. But they don't have school the next few days.

Yes we do that too @MoBookworm1957 when we roast the chicken in a roast pan on a rack with the lid on and we put water in the bottom of it and it makes it's own broth while it cooks. We then strain off the fat and keep the liquid which I add more water to and use it in soups and other meals.

Our usual chicken size we buy is 2.4 kg and we usually cook 2 at a time and break off the meat and like you store it in freezer bags in the freezer for other meals and for sandwiches for lunches. I figure if we are going to have the oven on we may as well cook 2 instead of one as that's what fits in the large roasting pan.

When you are cooking for 1 or 2 people in a household it can be more challenging so this is the easiest for us. We also cook meals to have for 2 nights in a row as it is more economical to do so rather than cook every night in smaller portions.
Sewing, do you put the carcass in a pot of water and simmer it? The bones break down and release all of that cartilage and connective tissue material with into the liquid.

Bake potato loaded, salad & Porterhouse steak middling well,a little red at the bone, but good all the same.
This was for a friends Birthday.

Sewing, do you put the carcass in a pot of water and simmer it? The bones break down and release all of that cartilage and connective tissue material with into the liquid.
That's how I do it normally.
Otherwise it goes into electric pressure cooker/canner, yum.
I also defat my homemade broth.
I put chicken fat in jelly size mason jar for frying different things in refrig.
Same thing with pint size mason jar for bacon fat.

That's how I do it normally.
Otherwise it goes into electric pressure cooker/canner, yum.
I also defat my homemade broth.
I put chicken fat in jelly size mason jar for frying different things in refrig.
Same thing with pint size mason jar for bacon fat.
Chicken fat is common in the world of Jews. You can understand that since they don't do pork where much of the world gets their fat.

I also skim the fat, but I throw it away. They call it schmaltz. I do the same thing with bacon fat.

Venison steak, cheese omelet stuffed with chopped brocolli, cauliflower, spinach and Brussels sprouts.

Big salad with grilled chicken and Lite Vidalia Onion dressing

It has to be really hot outside before hubby will settle for a supper of just a salad even if it has meat in it. He's picky and its his mother's fault.
I find a big salad like that will fill me up just as well as a "meat and potatoes" meal.Although I do like a nice crusty bread to go with it

Latest posts

Back