What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have told me before, but I'm going to ask again.
What are rivvels?
When I looked it up on Google it said birth control. Pretty sure that's not right. lol....
LMAO!!!! thats too funny!

Rivvels or Ribbels are small egg noodles you drop into simmering soups/stews. They're Pa Dutch

1 egg
1/2 cup flour ( to start with)
salt and pepper

Mix all together ( a fork works great for this). If sticky add just a tablespoon of flour at a time until its not
Tear into small pieces and drop into simmering soup, stir to keep separate and from sticking
Depending on size of pieces cook for 10 - 15 mins

It reminds me of Spaetzle noodles the Germans make. Just with the Pa Dutch way theres no certain utensil you have to use. I do have a spaetzle maker. I make them once in a while and simmer them in chicken broth. Really good

LMAO!!!! thats too funny!

Rivvels or Ribbels are small egg noodles you drop into simmering soups/stews. They're Pa Dutch

1 egg
1/2 cup flour ( to start with)
salt and pepper

Mix all together ( a fork works great for this). If sticky add just a tablespoon of flour at a time until its not
Tear into small pieces and drop into simmering soup, stir to keep separate and from sticking
Depending on size of pieces cook for 10 - 15 mins

It reminds me of Spaetzle noodles the Germans make. Just with the Pa Dutch way theres no certain utensil you have to use. I do have a spaetzle maker. I make them once in a while and simmer them in chicken broth. Really good
Thank you for the information.
Called dumplings in my neck of the woods.

Yes I know about the difference. What you all call dumplings we call slippery pot pie ( dough rolled out and cut into small squares and then dropped into the soup) lol
And dumplings here are actually spoonfuls of the dough DUMPED on top of the soup/stew and then covered and then steamed until cooked through

Funny how the same things are called differently

I stir fried cabbage again tonight, it’s going to become one of my staples. This time I fried up Conecuh sausage in bacon grease. I then poured the grease into the wok to stir fry the cabbage. I added just a bit more bacon grease. Right at the end I added the sausage and a chopped up green onion to the mix. Yummy! I made some garlic toast also.

I found Conecuh sausage before Christmas. I really like it sliced up with onion and added to my home fries in the air fryer at breakfast.

Cabbage_v1.jpg
Conecuh_v1.jpg

@Amish Heart
@NannyPatty

What you all call dumplings we call slippery pot pie ( dough rolled out and cut into small squares and then dropped into the soup) lol
And dumplings here are actually spoonfuls of the dough DUMPED on top of the soup/stew and then covered and then steamed until cooked through

Alton brown did an episode on dumplings where he researched the history. I think it was called "Don't be chicken of your dumplings"

Whether the dough is rolled and cut into squares or spooned in lumps of dough depends on what part of europe your ancestors came from.

The source of these two types is either a certian part of England or part of the european cost including northern France/Belgium and western Germany. I forget which type originated where.

The word Rivvels or Ribbels... I betting you will find the origin of that word is in one those two locations.

HA! I found it... Rivvels is a german word for small dumplings... according to several websites, I found that the actual ancestry of the word is Russian...

https://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/recipes/dictionary.html

Rival Small Dumplings
Rivel Small Dumplings
Rivella Small Dumplings
Rivels Small Dumplings
Rivelsuppe Small Dumpling Soup
Rivilla Small Dumplings
Rivle Small Dumplings
Rivvel Small Dumplings

Last edited:
Yes I know about the difference. What you all call dumplings we call slippery pot pie ( dough rolled out and cut into small squares and then dropped into the soup) lol

I mix up my dumplings same as you.
Don't know nothing about rolling them out.
Unless you're making noodles.
Mix with fork, scrap into broth through the tines of fork.
Guess you could use spoons, but was taught to use fork tines instead.
Put few in at time, otherwise you got yuk, glob.
Light, not overly doughy.
But you're right about different names for the same things.

I don't remember peanut butter rice cakes and they don't have them now, at least not at Walmart. Now I have to see if they are online!
They had them, but they weren't good sell item.
No big markup, but huge markdown item just to get rid of them.
Liked the cheddar ones, cinnamon and sugar ones the best.

That's what I think of as dumplings, too. Sometimes my mom just put the small uncooked refrigerated biscuits on top and they made great dumplings!

today I'm having a walmart supreme pizza lol Hubby is having an italian sub from walmart. it was fresh made at 7:30 this morning so we know it hasn't been sitting around

I had takeout. I went to the little town for a few groceries and dog food. A nightmare, a cold winter rain falling the entire time, not heavy but enough to get soaked. On the way out of of town I stopped at the KFC and ordered a 2 piece chicken an biscuit which would have cost me $5+, if I added a side it was $3.40, go figure? o_O At least the lady taking orders recognized me and made sure I got 2 thighs instead of a leg and a thigh. She came to one of my plant classes...

I had a KFC chicken thigh, mashed potatoes/gravy and I made some garlic toast. :)

Potato soup made with whatever I have on hand.
In this case: Russet Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, a couple of white button mushrooms, and a couple Portabella mushrooms.
Red, yellow, orange, green peppers too. Season to taste with salt and pepper both white and black.
Everything is diced and in the stockpot on top of the stove.
Yum!
Just added milk and butter,
Will give about another 10 minutes simmer before adding dumplings.
Good for you homemade soup is the best in my opinion.

Last edited:
Tonight, pan cakes and ham. It’s probably been ten years since I made pancakes.

That's funny... I don't even remember the last time I made pancakes at home... The other day at the market I was buying some bread crumbs and noticed down on the bottom shelf was "aunt jemima original pancake mix". I've had pancakes for breakfast twice this week. :) I finally put that electric skillet to use. I had to clean the dust off it before I used it.

Tonight for dinner I had the second piece of kfc chicken and the last of the left over cabbage stir fry.

Got 9 quart pot of hamburger soup going in the pressure cooker/canner.
It might last more than a day or two.
If anything left over will water bath can up in pint jars for future meals.
My recipe for Hamburger soup:
Potatoes what ever I have on hand; last red, russet, sweet
Whole onion diced
Carrots; handful chopped
Peppers: red, green, yellow, orange
Mushrooms: three white button, three portabella mushrooms
pound of hamburger scrabbled with onions, peppers, mushrooms.
can of corn,
chili pepper, salt, pepper to taste, several bay leafs.
All simmering a way.
Smells good in here.

Back