What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ribeyes, potatoes and portobellos cooking directly on red oak coals and a little gravy making.

ribeyes.jpg

Yesterday when I went to the big town I still didn't know when the electricity would be back on. I picked up a bucket of chicken from popeyes w/sides... Chicken and dirty rice are just as good cold. I still have one piece left for lunch tomorrow.

Yesterday ( saturday) we had sandwiches and pasta salad.
Today we're having spiral sliced ham, augratin potatoes and beets. ( saving the beet juice to make pickled eggs)

I’ve been using my Fry Daddy a lot… problem… if I buy fresh catfish fillets at the store… I have to eat catfish for supper for the next 4 or 5 days before they start to go bad.

Solution… I found frozen catfish “Strips” at the store. Instead of $8 a pound for fresh catfish fillets I can buy 2lbs of frozen catfish strips for $7. The strips are sliced up fillets.

I can’t tell the difference in the flavor between fresh and frozen, catfish handles being frozen really well.

One catfish strip, thawed and sliced, then breaded and fried…

Add two sides, veggies, fries, tots or a small salad and I have a good meal.

Tonight, I had fried catfish, tater tots, baked beans and hush puppies… A big, tasty meal that cost me less than $2 including the canola oil.

For me the frozen strips are the way to go, thaw one out anytime I’m in the mood… farm raised here in Alabama!!!

Hint… 100 miles south of here… If you stopped on any country road and teed off a golf ball in any direction… the odds are it would land in someone’s commercial catfish pond! Literally, down around Greensboro AL or Uniontown… There are 100,000’s of commercial catfish pond, parts of MS, AL and GA supply the entire US. Here, fresh or frozen catfish is cheap, they are only shipping it 100 miles.

You have to check the label… If it doesn’t say “Produced in the USA” don’t buy it. There is some nasty chemically tainted catfish and seafood coming out of southeast asia.

I'm frying up some spiral sliced ham leftover from yesterday, buttered noodles ( for the hubby lol) and steamed broccoli

We are having a pork roast with a big garden salad. My wife may choose to add rice and gravy but KETO doesn't have carbs on the menu for me.
I'll start it about 15:30 and we will eat at 17:00. The crows will get the trimmings and fat. They need to eat too and I don't like to see them eating fast food leftovers.

I smoked some burgers with pecan wood on my little grill. My charcoal has a problem... it's lump charcoal. I think somehow it got moisture in it. It just won't get hot enough.

The other day I had 3/10ths of a pound of left over burger. I made two small burgers and they cooked fine but fire didn't seem as hot as usual. Today I made 4 big burgers, they didn't cook through. Not a problem... 40 seconds in the microwave and they were cooked through.

Tonight at the big box store I got a fresh bag of lump charcoal.

Last edited:
I baked some shrimp yesterday and we had pasta salad to go with them

Today I plan on having chicken of some type

We are having a pork roast with a big garden salad. My wife may choose to add rice and gravy but KETO doesn't have carbs on the menu for me.
I'll start it about 15:30 and we will eat at 17:00. The crows will get the trimmings and fat. They need to eat too and I don't like to see them eating fast food leftovers.

Got to take care of those crows.

We are having fried rice and hot dogs.

Back