What Are You Having For Dinner

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why can you eat chopped tomatoes but not sauce?

Tomatoes and tomato paste are two entirely different things. To make tomato paste, tomatoes are cooked down until they are reduced by 50% or so. This concentrates everything in the tomato including the acids.

Sauces that use tomato paste contain these concentrated acids!

I can eat a tomato sandwich, no problem, the acids are NOT concentrated.

Sauces on pizza, spaghetti etc use tomato paste!

whatever is left over in the fridge lol I'll use up some bread to make garlic bread to go with it all

BBQ sandwiches tonight. UPS truck just ran and dropped off some goodies. I needed a new 8" non-stick. Since I'm doing a lot more stir-fry these days I needed a good stirfry pan. I also got a 10Q outdoor fryer w/basket and lid. The outdoor stand and cooker won't be here until next week.

pans_v1.jpg

Tonight I made the worst stir fry skirt steak and cabbage ever! It was barely edible. I messed up my brown sauce (stir fry sauce), I tried a new brown sauce recipe and messed up the proportions.

I ate what I could and tossed the rest.

Made rice tonight and put it in the fridge... I plan shrimp fried rice for dinner Tuesday night.

Oh... I love my new stir fry pan! I got it from the big internet box store... 600 positive reviews... Has that Ray lady from tv's name on it. As far a cooking the skirt steak and cabbage it was far superior to my old pan. My old one was a cross between a stirfry pan and a wok and wasn't no-stick. I didn't have a lid to fit it either, a $20 piece of junk.

My new 8" nonstick skillet is a champ too... cost twice what I paid for the last one at WM. Worth every penny... heats evenly, cool handle, preforms exactly as advertised.

Last edited:
I think we will carb out for dinner. Grits,pancakes with real Maple syrup,eggs and maybe a couple fries. May put some squash in the eggs and make a squash and onion omelet. I prefer turnips in the omelet but not in season and we have plenty of squash we grew.Maybe cut up a slice of bologna we got on sale in it for hubbys meat craving. He has had meat all week so not like he is beign mistreated.

I'm going bake some fish. I guess I'll make some quick mac and cheese ( did you know velvetta comes in an envelope and is melted already, it just needs heating? lol) and I'll heat some sliced beets ( and save the juice so I can make pickled eggs with it)

Yesterday for the first time several months I ate a Pizza (an entire large thin crust in 1 sitting)
It was delicious.:chef:

Tonite was just several Yogurts.

Hope you and the wife feel better soon.
Thanks. I’m sure we will. Apparently this bug takes 3-6 months to get through - you feel better for a bit then it cycles through. The doctors figure it’s an h1n1 variant. Rest when we can and let it run it’s course. Not much time this time of year to rest but we sneak in what we are able

Last edited:
Pork steaks, steak fries for the wife and cauliflower in butter. The crow got the fat trimmings and enjoyed them. He brought a yearling with him this time. I think he is beginning to trust us.
He doesn't depend on us for food, I try to make sure of that by saving the trimmings for a few days and not providing them every day. He has to remain able to care for his family without us. We just give him high protein, high fat treats.

Pork steaks, steak fries for the wife and cauliflower in butter. The crow got the fat trimmings and enjoyed them. He brought a yearling with him this time. I think he is beginning to trust us.
He doesn't depend on us for food, I try to make sure of that by saving the trimmings for a few days and not providing them every day. He has to remain able to care for his family without us. We just give him high protein, high fat treats.

Our crow is getting friendlier too.

Hope you and your DW start feeling better soon @The Innkeeper. DH and I had the same or similar variant bug a couple of years ago that led to pneumonia so do take care of yourself and if you start feeling worse go and see a doctor.
thanks, it isn’t much fun. I tend towards bronchitis and pneumonia (genetics combined with a lot of petrochemical and industrial exposure) so we tend to watch it close.

Have a few moments so thought I'd chime in.

1: I really enjoy this thread, thanks to all who post!

2: Had a new 10 / 8 1/2 quart crockpot to try out so I cooked Corned beef and cabbage, with carrots and fresh dug potato's for church meetin' last night. No leftovers:)
Picked green beans yesterday and yellow squash this morning so figure today we will feast on fresh potato's, squash and green beans.

--Dwight

Latest posts

Back